Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Advice on this one?

Options
  • 21-09-2005 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

Hey all ;)
    Gonna be moving home soon, and Im wondering.
    Can anyone tell me, when Im moving how do I make sure the elec, gas, phone, water etc is switched on on the day I have to move in (poss about 7-10 days from today but might be sooner).

Thing is, I use an electric wheelchair and cant go a day without charging it. So I need elec, water for medical stuffs, And phone is vital for security if nothing else.

Any Ideas?

b

Mods, couldnt think of anywhere else for this and I figure ill get the most advice here, but if you feel the need to move it feel free. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Probably best suited to Accomadation/Property.

Moved from AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

I suppose the only thing to worry about is that the electricity, gas etc.. has been transferred out of the name of the person who previously lived there. Otherwise you will end up paying for their bills.

Assuming the place you are moving to has not been vacent for ages, the basic utilities should still be connected.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

If the property to which you are moving already has gas and electricity in place and has been in use by the previous owner/tennant, then it will still be on when you move in, presuming that the previous owner hadn't racked up a massive debt or anything. If there is a phone line in place, it usually takes an hour or two to get a new number assigned to the line. You should contact the relevent people though to have the bills put in your name asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

It's even simpler than that the previous tenant takes a reading and tells the service companies to change over the account to your name. Bingo! you don't pay their bill. You can also do the same the only problem is these things aren't noramlly easy to read even when able bodied. I have to climb a chair for electrics and crawl over plants for gas. The real concern is the previous owner may get them switched off if you don't make sure. Enjoy the new home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Problem is tho, its a new house im moving into, no previous tennants.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

My first new house i moved into had the gas, esb and a quick phone call to get the new eircom line active. Yet a mate moved into his new house and had to organise all of the above himself. Best to check with the builder.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Get an abled bodied person to check it out. Something simple like the switch on the main fuse board being turned off could take you ages to find (its usuallly high up in a cupboard), and also ensure that anything else that may need to be switched on, is.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Let the builder / whoever know your requirements in advance. Have everything turned on and working before you move in.

Builders have the habit of turning everything off in unoccupied houses to prevent accidents / vandalism. Make sure that doesn't happen with you.

Charge your batteries fully before you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Hey all ;)
    Gonna be moving home soon, and Im wondering.
    Can anyone tell me, when Im moving how do I make sure the elec, gas, phone, water etc is switched on on the day I have to move in (poss about 7-10 days from today but might be sooner).

Thing is, I use an electric wheelchair and cant go a day without charging it. So I need elec, water for medical stuffs, And phone is vital for security if nothing else.

Any Ideas?

b

Mods, couldnt think of anywhere else for this and I figure ill get the most advice here, but if you feel the need to move it feel free. :)

i would leave it a day or two before moving out of the old place , give you time to checkout the new place , before you have to move in...

Advertisement