Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Builder Question

Options
  • 21-09-2005 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking to get some renovation work done and have received quotes from a number of builders and I have two questions.

1. Why is there a 30% difference in quotes? All other things equal is there a danger going for the lowest quote or do the other quotes take the Piss.

2. I am worried about having the job drag on for months and months I have heard some horror stories. Is it possible to but a clause in the contract to stop this possibly a firm finish date or a clause that commits a certain number of resources per week?

T.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Did you ask any of the builders for references/addresses of jobs they have done recently?

Maybe go look at a few and ask peoples opinions on the builder.On the 30% difference thing,a friend of mine was doing his own extension and he got quotes for his windows from a number of different companys,but one in particular was very cheap and in the end he went with them.

It turned out that it was the best value he got.Windows looked great and were fitted professionally.It could be just the luck of the draw these days.

Do more research into the builders before you commit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Kipple,

30% can be the difference in one contractor including items another has never seen before, it could also be the difference in fixed overhead by different companies.

Restoration can be very difficult to price some may allow provisional sums others depend on "Extras" to make a profit.

mad m has given you some good advice references are a very good place to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

What I done with my mothers house we she wanted it done up as I drew up a contract with a deadline on it and a penalty clause for every day over the contract. Most builders ran a mile when I mentioned it (obviously cowboys) and only 2 said yeah thats fair enough. I went with the cheaper of those two whos work I had seen and true to his word it was top notch. Even during the job when he noticed something wrong with a wall he fixed it at no extra cost.

I did the contract purposfully to get rid of the money grabber cowboys who lets be honest there are quite a few. Those that agree to it are obviously serious about the job and their work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 harto

Sometimes a builder will price a job considerably higher if he already has a lot of work on or doesn't particularly want the job for one reason or another. It does not necessarily mean he will deliver a better quality build.

AndyH
    http://www.helpmebuildandrenovate.com

Advertisement