Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo/galway Wireless Broadband

• 21-09-2005 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭

Hello
    Heard there was a broadband service, a wireless one providing broadband throught mayo and galway, i think the name is digifone or something? Sorry just wanted to ask if theres such a company and if anyone has a number and details:)

I am so angry at the fact that i am paying 100 a month for 512 down and 128 up satellite broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Have a look at

Galway WAN & Irish WAN

dunno about other providers

try checking your area on the govt b/band site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭PlasmaFish

This is one Wireless broadband provider in Mayo. But they cover Ballina
    http://www.fwi.ie/

Also Lastmile wireless have a service that i think is still in the developing stages.
    http://www.lastmile.ie/

Irishwan have setup nodes in Tuam but you will have to find a friend on that network to share there broadband for you.

If you go to the GBS Gov site you can see if there is any GBS scheme in your area. If not just get a few people together and start one up
    http://www.dcmnr.gov.ie/Communications/Group+Broadband+Scheme/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You are probably thinking of www.digiweb.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

no i currently have digiweb, lol, satellite, i am in claremorris mayo althogu hi think i am in knock exchange as i cannot get the clarmorris broadband:(

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

PlasmaFish wrote:
    This is one Wireless broadband provider in Mayo. But they cover Ballina
    http://www.fwi.ie/
    Wrong Ballina, I'm afraid: that's the one in Tipperary.
    PlasmaFish wrote:
    Also Lastmile wireless have a service that i think is still in the developing stages.
    http://www.lastmile.ie/
    Last Mile are primarily a midlands operator, with some presence in the eastern part of Mayo (Ballyhaunis).

PM sent to the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

hay plasmafish anymore info on broadband in galway am trying to get with digiweb wireless.

hay plasmafish anymore info on broadband in galway am trying to get with digiweb wireless.

Did you do a LOS with IBB?
    Digiweb use the same mast so if IBB won't work then the Metro broadband Digiweb won't work either.

any other suggestions for broadband in mayo:)
    also realisticly when will broadband be provided to all parts fo ireland? and what is involved in it, do they simply create an "exchange" which is?? is it a fibre optic something or other? sorry bit of a noob at the actual reality of making this service possible
    i really want to get at least 1mbps without paying over 100:( but at the moment its 512 for 100 a month

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

www.westnet.ie maybe , you never said what bit of Mayo ...which helps

shortys94 wrote:
    any other suggestions for broadband in mayo:)
    also realisticly when will broadband be provided to all parts fo ireland? and what is involved in it, do they simply create an "exchange" which is?? is it a fibre optic something or other? sorry bit of a noob at the actual reality of making this service possible
    i really want to get at least 1mbps without paying over 100:( but at the moment its 512 for 100 a month

Broadband in Ireland. it's not about coverage. it's just that there is not enough demand in ireland for broadband. where broadband is available to people i.e in Dublin, Galway they are not going for it, not enough. Everyone needs to get it for the large ISP's to make a move on it and people have to realize that using VoIP and soon TV-on-demand is cheaper then what there paying now. Even if they don't! have a computer. There has to be more demand for broadband, I mean huge demand, like 6 out of every ten people in Ireland to want it.

People in Ireland are not ready for it, well not for another 5 or 7 years.
    This is my view about it anyways..

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

PlasmaFish wrote:
    People in Ireland are not ready for it, well not for another 5 or 7 years.
    This is my view about it anyways..
    Then, with respect, I'm glad we're not depending on you for broadband rollout in Ireland.

1 out of every 10 houses passed by NTL with BB in Galway already has it , NTL launched in Feb 05 and hardly advertise the product .....just word of mouth

I'd agree that Irish Broadband have a hard push uphill ahead of them but the word is out that they are crap , again just word of mouth .... :)

im in claremorris mayo:)

im in claremorris mayo:), well i think knock exchange, so claremorris/knock, cannot avail of claremorris broadband as i am in knock exchange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Sponge Bob wrote:
    1 out of every 10 houses passed by NTL with BB in Galway already has it , NTL launched in Feb 05 and hardly advertise the product .....just word of mouth

Obviously a new flyer every 2 months in every letterbox to non-NTL customers, and info on each bill to existing non-BB NTL subscibers counts as 'hardly advertising' :D

BB is a bit wierd in galway. Until recently there was almost no choice - just eircom and rebadged eircom. All of them expensive and complicated (multiple providers of line & BB etc.). There is very low line rental in general due to the large rental population in the city (1 in 6 people in galway city is a student).

Then BT come along with a very simple, very good value product. Its a single provider game, the 'line rental' aspect is genuinely useful (more TV channels) and you are going to get more uptake & cost-sharing in rental only households and it is easy to judge the cost of it. Unlike plenty of other providers who use creative Ts&Cs and pricing structures to make their offering appear better value, BTs service is the genuine article. It doesn't look to be amazingly great value, until you do the maths.

The biggest reason for their success is that it is easy to get, it happens to be a really good value product too, but my experience of getting broadband in the past over here has been horrific (I use RipWave now in preference to the messing about I would have to go through otherwise). And there are as many horror stories as satisfied customers.
    I'd agree that Irish Broadband have a hard push uphill ahead of them but the word is out that they are crap , again just word of mouth .... :)

In Galway their potential footprint is tiny. Especially for Ripwave. They need more high sites to even have a chance of getting customers.

sharingan wrote:
    Obviously a new flyer every 2 months in every letterbox to non-NTL customers, and info on each bill to existing non-BB NTL subscibers counts as 'hardly advertising' :D

OK , 'except for direct advertising' then. :)

No mention of it in the papers, after the weather forecast , on the telly , etc etc .

10% penetration is , of course, absolutely no demand seeing as its been around for 6 or 7 months and all .

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sponge Bob wrote:
    10% penetration is , of course, absolutely no demand seeing as its been around for 6 or 7 months and all .

FYI 10% penetration after just 6 or 7 months would be one of the fastest uptake rates in Europe for BB.

BTW BT Ireland are great as long as you don't need to deal with their billing or CS departments. If you do then it quickly turns into a nightmare.

Advertisement