Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Internal IM for windows...

• 21-09-2005 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

I'm looking at instant message clients for teachers to use inside a school. Has anyone any recommendations before I end up giving them some rubbish. It just has to work without the internet and be user friendly. And freeware is preferable!!

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Ad hoc connections, or intermediate server?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,032 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Jabber (as now featured in Google Talk) is considered the best open source solution for use in intranets. There's also Lotus Sametime but you have to pay for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭alantc

Intermediate sever is fine. (better I guess??). Someone metioned windows messanger working inside a company but I can't get oneto messanger.msn.com anyone know anything about this?

The only thing I saw about jabber mentioned money... lots of money... I'll look again!

W.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,032 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There's also Novell InstantMe which looks very interesting but I can't seem to find the homepage for it. It's supposed to be www.novell.com/instantme but I just get a 404 error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Stark wrote:
    Jabber (as now featured in Google Talk) is considered the best open source solution for use in intranets. There's also Lotus Sametime but you have to pay for that.
    Jabber being the protocol, something like Jive Messenger being the Jabber server, and Pandion being a (pretty cool looking) client.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭alantc

Jabber being the protocol, something like Jive Messenger being the Jabber server, and Pandion being a (pretty cool looking) client.

That looks great. I've downloaded them and the install guide. I'll give it a go on a few PCs tomorrow. (and hopefully remember to reply here, though that could tak a few days..)

Thanks. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

In relation to MSN Messenger, its Windows Messenger working through a domain with I think Exchange Server. Which is way too much to pay for that sort of solution.

Advertisement