Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Guinness ad

• 22-09-2005 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if the pub in the new Guinness ad is a read pub?

If it's real, I want to go there...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Moved to Advertising/Marketing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Gandalf23 wrote:

If you have a Dublin accent, I would advise against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

Gandalf23 wrote:

I am with you on this one - I was saying the exact same thing to my husband last night when we saw the ad. It is a great ad isn't it? We were both singing "do you know the way to San Jose" all night last night.
    MPA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

What new ad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Enii wrote:
    What new ad?
    A new 40 second slot entitled "San Jose" thats pushing their quality campaign.

Shows a Guinness QC employee going in his van to rural parts of Ireland.
    He takes the Valentia ferry at one point, and includes scenes from Valentia Island, Reenard Point, Caherciveen and Knightstown and the crew spent four days on location in South Kerry.
    The internal bar scenes are from the Blind Piper Pub in Caherdaniel, Co Kerry.
    I dont think thats the pub you see on the camera zoom-out shot though :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭leftofcentre

Advertisers really miss a trick with the web. You have a situation where people actually want to see your ads, but do they put them on their websites? Do they feck.

I just had a peek at guinness.com and no sign of the ads :(

Advertisers really miss a trick with the web. You have a situation where people actually want to see your ads, but do they put them on their websites? Do they feck.

I just had a peek at guinness.com and no sign of the ads :(
    I know a few companies that put their ads up - most are of the quirky variety though.

Guinness do have an ads section, but the Irish section is actually their English portal - and they only show their big ads there.

You can catch the ad talked about here on RTE1, 2, TG4 and TV3 until the end of Oct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Rotide

whiskeyman wrote:
    and the crew spent four days on location in South Kerry

It was 3 :)
    I dont think thats the pub you see on the camera zoom-out shot though

The pub exterior is actually a private house that was dressed. Apparently the owner loves it and wants to keep it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bill G

Being a newcomer here in Ireland (only lived here 10 years), can someone tell me what the publican says at the end of the ad??? I can't understand it at all!!!

• Advertisement

Bill G wrote:
    Being a newcomer here in Ireland (only lived here 10 years), can someone tell me what the publican says at the end of the ad??? I can't understand it at all!!!

Guinness man: "Martin, Have you ever been to San Jose?"

Publican: "San Jose? Sure thats at the back of beyonds"

The back of beyond is an irish country expression for 'the middle of nowhere/miles and miles away'. The pluralisation is a muck savage idiosyncrocy ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i havent seen that one, but there is currently an ad running in the UK which shows man evoling backwards through to apes, then dinosaurs and back to fish and then to small land amphibian things, which then taste the local water and spit it out in discussed.

the tag line is similar to the grolch one about guiness being worth the evolution just to drink (worth waiting for).

its quite good. think fatboy slim video backwards :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Vok

Rotide wrote:
    It was 3 :)

The pub exterior is actually a private house that was dressed. Apparently the owner loves it and wants to keep it that way.

Rotide, since you obviously know what's going on here maybe you can clear this up for me.

I only caught the tail end of the ad last night during the match half-time break so I didn't see the whole thing but did see the shot of the pub. Was it taken near Paris / St. Brendan's Well? down at the back of the Island? Or was it over somewhere in the more remote parts of of Waterville / Caherdaniel?

As a native of the area, let me add my voice to the calls for a downloadable version of the ad to be made available somewhere. Anywhere. Who were the agency? Irish International?

Going home on a photo expedition this weekend. Er, not that there's anything worth photographing down there, you understand, since, in reality, it's so ugly and dreary. It's all just CGI trickery in the ad. Trust me. ;)

Vok, dont think i can help you there, sorry. My involvement meant i didnt go to the shoot so therefore i have no idea where those locations are. I know for a fact they did go to Caherdaniel, the other names mean nothing to me.

Im pretty sure there was a version online somewhere, but i cant seem to find it anywhere. The agency was indeed Irish International. Director was Steve Greene for Toytown films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Vok

Rotide wrote:
    Vok, dont think i can help you there, sorry. My involvement meant i didnt go to the shoot so therefore i have no idea where those locations are. I know for a fact they did go to Caherdaniel, the other names mean nothing to me.
    That's cool. Just verified that it's where I thought it was. It's on my regular stroll so will go see it for myself this weekend.
    Rotide wrote:
    Im pretty sure there was a version online somewhere, but i cant seem to find it anywhere. The agency was indeed Irish International. Director was Steve Greene for Toytown films.
    Thanks for the leads. Have to keep an eye out for it on the tele tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

does anybody know where I can get the tune from the ad? or tis name?:confused:

does anybody know where I can get the tune from the ad? or tis name?:confused:
    "Do you know the way to San Jose".

Lots of different versions of it about - I think the one in the ad is the original by Diane Warwick (written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ubiquity

I just had a peek at guinness.com and no sign of the ads

look at www.visit4info.co.uk and www.adcritic.com ----broadband
    or www.leopardstownlions.com ---- dial up and broadband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gugu go

i have checked the links already but can't seem to find the ad about san jose anywhere! I desperatly need it as i was in san jose, costa rica, recently and nobody believed me that guinness had that as their punch line.
    By the way,
    SanJose is in the back of beyonds! I'll have to take sides with the kerryman this time

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ballinloughan

Has anyone found this ad anywhere? I would love to get a copy .... .

• Advertisement
Advertisement