Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connect from home to server?

• 22-09-2005 7:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭

I instruct on basic computer applications. I regularly need to transfer files that I have worked up at home to networked computers in the school. Usuallly I do this by using a USB key to transfer onto the students folders on the network. Is it possible to set up a method of using a regular DSL connection from home to connect to the school network?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Yes, setup a VPN connection between home and school.

Or you could setup an FTP server on a machine in the school.

Does the school have a network administrator type person?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭ajmull

eth0_ wrote:
    Does the school have a network administrator type person?

Yes, on a contract basis. I don't want to approach them until I know it is possible. Would it be expensive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Well it would be free. Its just a matter of setting up the connection on both sides and away ya go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Free? Not unless you're good friends with them or something. It depends on what they are running server wise, can they allow vpn connections through the firewall or do they port-forward them and so on.

I would say it probably take two hours of configuration work depending on the systems involved, how familiar the contract admin is with them and how many other security factors come into play. Thats presuming its all pretty straight-forward and there are no problems. Pluc don't forget configuation of the vpn connection on the client side as well. If there is already a vpn connection in place then it should just be client side configuration.

So giving a conserative estimate without knowing a whole lot about the setup, half a days work roughly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Or if their running Microsoft Server 2003 it will take a matter of seconds to enable the Remote web workspace and to allow the user to initate remote connections thus allowing him to bring files fom the remote server to his computer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Or if their running Microsoft Server 2003 it will take a matter of seconds to enable the Remote web workspace and to allow the user to initate remote connections thus allowing him to bring files fom the remote server to his computer.

Not in any sort of well designed, well run and secure network. There is a reson why this sort of stuff takes time, so that it can be done right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

or he could just setup an FTP server on his home PC and connect to it from work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

I sometimes have large files that I need to send into the office and I may need to do some work from home. I use 2 tools to do this. First I upload the file using Yousendit.com when it is uploaded I then use the Windows Remote Desktop Connection to log into my office PC. Then I can download it from yousendit.com and work away on my office PC as if I was there.

I'm lucky that both PC's use Windows XP but if you don't have Windows XP you can download a free program thats works (and some say better) the same way as the Windows Remote Desktop Connection. Its called RealVNC and you can download it from here RealVNC

You will have to setup your firewall so that it knows that when you are trying to connect to your school which PC to forward the connection to. If like me you don't have a static IP all you need to be able to do is log into your schools Firewall using Internet Explorer and change the your IP in the security settings then you should be able to connect.

Setting up a VPN can cost alot of money.

Advertisement