Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

02 Corolla - Rad Cooling Fan Question:

• 22-09-2005 9:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭

Hi all,

I bought an 02 corolla last week (38k miles), and I just have a small query.... I've noticed that the radiator cooling fan comes on quite often. I drive to work through dublin everyday, which takes about 50 mins. I never get badly stuck in traffic - most junctions i get stuck at the lights, and ocassionally get stuck for 2/3 light changes.

So, after the car is warmed up properly, if I get stuck in traffic for a couple of minutes, the fan will come on. This morning it was on nearly every time the car was stopped for more than 1 minute.

This doesn't seem normal to me. On my last car, I doubt the fan came on more than once a month!

Does anyone have an opinion on this? The coolant level is fine and the temp guage doesn't increase beyond its normal point. I have a 6 month warranty with the garage I bought it from so If you know of any problems that could be causing this, I'd apprecaite your help.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

The thermostat could be set to a higher temp, wrong or substandard part, so the engine is running a tad high.
    It is also likely the engine and rad fan sensors are different items, and the rad fan sensor is a bit off, change it, it would only be a 15min job and cost $30 for the sensor.
    It used to be the case when you disconnected the rad fan sensor the fans came on, so easy to locate it.
    Do you have AC on this vehicle?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Doolittle51

Thanks for the reply.

The car does have AC, but i don't use it. I know if the AC is on, the rad fan would be on more often or continuously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Some cars will have more fan activity than others. Recently I've been driving a 05 Focus and the fan comes on a lot in traffic. The temp gauge doesn't budge though - it's probably a "fake" gauge which gives the exact same reading once the temperature is within the normal range The behaviour of the car sounds very similar to yours. OTOH the fan on my Laguna comes on a lot less and when it does come on you'd barely hear it.

I would say that your Corolla is fine but for peace of mind maybe call into a Toyota dealer and ask them what is normal fan behaviour. As Amurphy says there could be a slight fault with the fan switch or thermostat. AFAIK thermostats are not particulalry accurate and two 'stats which are in theory the exact same may have a difference of a couple of degrees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

My 02 Corollas fan comes on a bit when it's stuck in very slow traffic, I've never had any problems, 74K miles and it's still running like a dream. Bring it into any toyota garage and just ask the guys in service dept. Most garages will have a quick look for free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Some modern cars have AC that come on when you turn the air vents to DEFROST, this will trigger the AC fans also.
    AND you do not need to turn on the AC to make it come on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My father had a 00 Corolla for almost 5 years and he did mention that the fan did kick in alot but it never caused any issues. I drove it a couple of time and did notice it at idle but again it never caused any grief over 5 years of ownership.

Also you said you only have the car 2 weeks so as with any new car we tend to be listening and watching for everything. To ease your mind though give the service department at your local Toyota dealership a phone call and ask them.

Advertisement