Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burnout 4

Options
  • 22-09-2005 9:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Its got everything an EA games would have .....its pretty much identical to Burnout3 with nothing new or even better to make it worth buying.

Crash mode is slower so not as good, Eliminator is fun but overall the game is identical to 3, i had been playing 3 for about 4 weeks then got this and noticed nothing different.

Its still fun but not worth €60 unless you never played burnout if you own 3 you be a bit pissed off.

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

KdjaC wrote:
    Its got everything an EA games would have .....its pretty much identical to Burnout3 with nothing new or even better to make it worth buying.

Crash mode is slower so not as good, Eliminator is fun but overall the game is identical to 3, i had been playing 3 for about 4 weeks then got this and noticed nothing different.

Its still fun but not worth €60 unless you never played burnout if you own 3 you be a bit pissed off.

kdjac

Burnout 2 is bar far the best of the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

I saw the ad for it & graphically it didnt look any great shakes. Is it out today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Out tomorrow in shops , some sites shipped early.

Buy it if you dont have any other burnouts.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

i agree, ea fooked up another game

all the "traffic attack" crap is way too unbelievable (yes i realise that it isnt a real game) going 200 mph into the back of a car that is doing 40 mph...hmmm i dont think you have to be a genious to work out that you are going to crash, but not in ea land

arghhhh!!!!

if they got the burnout engine and made it like nfs, then i would be interested in this franchise but for the moment its dead to me (well except when im playing it with friends :D )

rant over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Has anyone seen it on sale anywhere today? I might pick it up this evening

• Advertisement

The only salvation is that its still burnout and the burning lap modes are good, i like eliminator but after going from 3 to 4 i see nothing new :(

Maybe other players who had 3 last year will take to it better.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Is the annoying DJ back?

Why did EA fill the burnout games with crappy mini-rocker music anyway ? Is that who they think is playing the games ?

Is the annoying DJ back?

no thankfully the dj is gone, but there is still an annoying voiceover when you first do a new race it horrible but at least you can skip it

yeah the music is really crappy crap rocky crap (crap!)

i loved the music in burnout 2, especially when it became different as you boost

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

tbh i was gonna buy this but i wont now i dont think. i dont like the fact that you dont crash into the traffic or however it works. the only thing that id buy it for would be xbox live.

• Advertisement

evad_lhorg wrote:
    tbh i was gonna buy this but i wont now i dont think. i dont like the fact that you dont crash into the traffic or however it works. the only thing that id buy it for would be xbox live.

You dont crash into the traffic....please explain ?
    madrab wrote:
    no thankfully the dj is gone, but there is still an annoying voiceover when you first do a new race it horrible but at least you can skip it

yeah the music is really crappy crap rocky crap (crap!)

i loved the music in burnout 2, especially when it became different as you boost

yeah burnout 2 had great music!

Tusky wrote:

you can only crash into traffic that is coming towards you/perendicular to you or if it is a huge tanker/truck going in the same direction

its crap, you fly down a brigde on the first level adn you se about 50 cars flying in the air around you, its a crap idea & ruins the skill needed

Tusky wrote:

From what I've read if you hit traffic now you knock it out of the way and keep going, causing pile-ups behind you. Only in certain cases though, if you hit something head on you still crash. I have to wait till I try it to get a proper idea, it's got 91% average on Gamerankings.com so they can't have messed up too badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Played a bit of it when I was in work yesterday, I like it :)
    I'll be picking it up tomorrow anyway.

There is a mode where you must crash as you drive, you dont stop you hit about 180 and just ram and boost other cars off the road. Tip: Ram cars into oncoming trucks and buses for bigger bonuses.

The other crash mode is slower and a crash can take a few minutes before time runs out etc: Nothing like 3 with its cool crzshes.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I remember when I first played Burnout 3 the first music track to play for me was by the Ramones... and I thought... 'wow... this game has a cool soundtrack'

But then all the wuss rock started to play.

I have no idea why they buried a quality band like the Ramones in among that lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tank Top Fever!

ah well, at least the psp version is great

I remember when I first played Burnout 3 the first music track to play for me was by the Ramones... and I thought... 'wow... this game has a cool soundtrack'

But then all the wuss rock started to play.

I have no idea why they buried a quality band like the Ramones in among that lot.

probably to give it some credability

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

I like it , its manic, and you can jump over stuff, and it makes lots of noise, worth what I paid for it 80cent.

Ive been playing Hulk ever since I got it

So does anyone know if its worth making the trip to town tonight or if it wont be available till morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

yeah the crash mode is way to complicated to be fun... grrrr

other than that i think it's feckin grand, really enjoyable

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sorry a lot of you guys didn't like it, I thought it was a big improvement over the 3rd one. Seems to me you have 2 race series here, Burnouts 1 and 2, and Burnout 3 and 4. Burnout Revenges visuals are incredible, very nice indeed, playing the xbox version you would swear you were looking at next gen machine footage at times, so many effects, lovelt deformation of the cas as they crumple up! The addition of the ability to smash thru vehicles going your way I thought was going to suck but it really suits this type of arcade racer, given the smash nature of the 3rd game it works, and the crash mode just gives you more control and allows for more original solutions to crash location, think of it as car wreck golf where each hole needs a diferent approach, depending on skill.
    The soundtrack is one of the best I have yet heard and one of the few in a racing game I don't get the urge to mute.
    The track design is very nice, although I do miss those Ronin moments from the 1st game, never to be recaptured by the series, the feeling of driving far too quickly through european village streets.

All in all I feel this is one of those rare times I like an EA published sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

fantastic game.

as for the "yearly EA update" stuff, the criterion staff were under no such pressure from EA apparently. they just had a lot of cool idea's they wanted to put in for the last installment on current gen platforms.

Picked it up at lunch time, now waiting to get home and play it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

are there more cars and stuff than burnout 3? or are they the same too?

Hmmm I'm not too sure.

Traffic Attack is complete and utter rubbish and the physics are just ridiculous. There's unrealistic for the sake of fun, and then there's just plain unrealistic.

Crash mode doesn't seem as much fun either, but maybe I just need to get used to it and unlock more junctions before I judge properly.

Race mode however is just fine, plays every bit as well as the previous games. The alternate routes on tracks is a nice feature, although the game moves way too fast for you to think about which way to go.

It's good but it's not as big a step up as Burnout 3 was. Maybe even a step back, traffic checking is a nice idea but it looks stupid, if only the physics of it were a little less extreme. Still no other arcade racing game to touch it. I like the new car designs and the graphics are excellent, as you'd expect. The new star rankings and progression system is nice too. It's definitely good, I'd just hoped for more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You cannot expect realistic physics throughout a racing game, particularly a title like this, I mean they all make allowances for the sake of playability, GT4 and the dull thud as you hit anything with no damage and thats supposed to be the pinnacle of realism?, personally I don't mind giving up the physics for the sake of some great gameplay which Burnout revenge has in spades, seriously I would have considered myself pretty jaded with the series bought and played them all as they came out but this one has fired it all up again, a far far better game than all those bloody car modding games that are for skinny little sad gits you wear their baseball caps while driving a micra with a muffler, worst thing that ever happened to the Need 4 Speed was the underground titles, complete tripe, Hot Pursuit 2 is one of the very best in that series aside from the 3DO original which I still take out from time to time.

But I digress, Burnout Revenge is the perfect antidote to the bulk of racers out there, conjuring up memories of smoky arcades before the Dr. Quirkeys of this world when you couldn't wait to play the latest racer from Sega, Namco or Taito, a future classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

You r right man, Burnout is a super fun arcade game with cool crashes, its not supposed to be "realistic" what IS relaistic? GT4 as Cider mentioned..ehh no, almost no crash damage and bouncy walls, Forza is considerably better anyway, guess what? if you wanna a "real" car simulator, go drive your ma's car, if you want a super fast fun arcade game get Burnout! it's class. :)

That's not what I meant, obviously its not realistic and I loved the first three, but I thought the traffic attack just went too far. The unrealistic, spectacular crashes with opponents look great but the unrealistic flinging of pedestrian cars into the distance like their made of foam just looks stupid I thought. Still loving the game in pure race and road rage mode, and crash mode is starting to grow on me too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

I got it at the weekend and its fantastic. A lot better than Burnout 3. The traffic checking is cool and makes a big difference as do the alternate routes and jump. Its over the top and unrealistic but thats what makes it great.

The crash mode is a lot better than 3's, which I did not like at all. And the car stats actually make a difference. Supurb game. I love it.

Advertisement