Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

widen drivway

Options
  • 22-09-2005 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Concrete driveway - approx 12 foot long - want to widen by about 18 inches ( as wife seems to have inability to park so that she can exit car without slamming door into the wall ) wall is on right - grass lawn to left ( as you face house )

any tips ?

should i just dig tuft and gravel it ? -
    is it easy to lay flagstones ?
    or should i concrete ( this sounds best - but how do i do it ? - what mix - what do i need to buy - how deep etc ?

sorry - complete novice at anything like this.

Loz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Loz, go for the concrete.

I think you would need to dig out about 10 inches of turf. Fill with hardcore...compact it and then fill with concrete. Not an easy job, but not impossible either. Seen a neighbour do it once....I got somebody in to do mine.

Cost me about £700 5 yrs ago to a neighbour and that was about3ft wide by 25 ft long. That included him doing all the labour and finishing it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭loz

Lex Luthor wrote:

I think you would need to dig out about 10 inches of turf. Fill with hardcore...compact it and then fill with concrete. Not an easy job, but not impossible either. Seen a neighbour do it once....I got somebody in to do mine.

Cost me about £700 5 yrs ago to a neighbour and that was about3ft wide by 25 ft long. That included him doing all the labour and finishing it off.

10 inches ? !! - i thought about 4 - but then again i have no idea.

how many bags concrete to use ? - do i add sand - gravel etc ?

loz wrote:
    10 inches ? !! - i thought about 4 - but then again i have no idea.

how many bags concrete to use ? - do i add sand - gravel etc ?
    Bags....you'll have to get a lorry to deliver it pre-mixed...the only way.
    If you work out the cubic volume and get a few quotes....I'm guessing you'd be talking 4" hardcore with 4" concrete....I'm not an expert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Lex Luthor wrote:

Hate to break it you you but you were ripped off. I got my wall knocked down garden dug up and concrete layed in a front garden for €500 a year ago (10x15 in fairness).

Are you talking 12 feet by 18 inches? Do you have a piller in the way?

Look out for corpo workers doing work close by. If they have a digger etc.. they do it for under a €100. If you have all the right tools it's a quick job. It's a cheat but it can be done.

Hate to break it you you but you were ripped off. I got my wall knocked down garden dug up and concrete layed in a front garden for €500 a year ago (10x15 in fairness).

Are you talking 12 feet by 18 inches? Do you have a piller in the way?

Look out for corpo workers doing work close by. If they have a digger etc.. they do it for under a €100. If you have all the right tools it's a quick job. It's a cheat but it can be done.
    MS, that was a typo, it had to be about 8-9ft wide cos it was done to accomadate the 2nd car. Also included getting shrubs put in between the neighbours house for the length of the drive. I must have a look again later and throw a tape on it.

• Advertisement

just measured...I got about 230 sq ft of concrete laid that time. Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Maybe just get her to reverse into the driveway instead ;)

Advertisement