Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sniper rifle kiss my ass

Options
  • 22-09-2005 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭

So, is it just me or are all of the sniper rifles ****e in this game? I got my second unlock yesterday, and eager as I was for a decent rifle I unlocked the sniper weapon.

Its better, but still not great.

The american rifle takes two hits to kill, and is bolt action... Meaning you have to sit there for a full second while your target runs for cover. The semi automatic ones are better, but they take three hits to kill. Plus, bullets seem to have a habit of just not hitting for no apparent reason sometimes.

Am I wrong?

Also, some sniping tips please. Do the bullets take a moment to reach their target, so you should aim a little ahead? Do the bullets drop mid flight, so you should aim a bit above? Or do they simple appear exactly at the centre of the crosshairs?

I havn't been abe to work it out yet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

......I
    ..... I
    .....xIx
    .....xIx
    ......I
    ......I

Aim there when far away 1st shot will tell you which is the right one :D
    M95 sucks tho SVD is the best

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

ballistics works with sniper rifles so aim above the target, bullets take time to travel so lead your target.

headshots kill, anywhere elses wounds...

you may have the crosshair dead on and it will seem like the bullets arent hitting, but they are hitting.....the ground. your opponent will be cacking his pants right about then at the buzz snap past his ear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

i like the american and chinese ones (not the unlocks), the other ones don't seem to be so good

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I actually find that the M95 has a very nice punch to it. To test, use those explosive barrels. Normal american rifle takes two hit to explode it, SVD takes three, but M95 takes only one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

M95 can kill pilots. Worth taking the time to try ..Black hawk full or people and no pilot is classic.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I like the US one. Stronger then the MEC standard one, but at least in close combat you can snap off a few shots with the mec quickly if needed. Someone finds you with the us standard and you are dead.

I find alot of my inaccuracy arises from panic or eagerness rather then lack of skill. You see an enemy slowing crawling, get over eager and snap off a missing shot, followed by another etc in a haste to hit him. Always, no matter what, take your time aiming!

I had a fantastic sniper game yesterday in the peninsula map. I was on the flat roof of one of the houses near the rear flag, and it was honestly like a scene from a war movie. There were constant waves of mec troops coming over the hill towards the house trying to capture the flag (its opposite the flag) and I was able to pick them off one by one for literally ten minutes. All the time, there were artillerty strikes and hand grenades detonating all over the place. There was only one or two friendlies with me so as you can imagine it was quite frantic.

Was great. Got a rack of kills and loads of kill assists. I was not spotted for ages, and was eventually blown away by a hand grenade. It was without a doubt the most fiercely contested flag point I've yet seen in BF2.

If only the sniper had a better side arm, like a micro uzi or even a automatic machine pistol....

Am upgrading to the barrett first chance I get!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Saw some vids of a real m95 in use in Afganistan (m95 is the .50 cal sniper rifle isn't it?)

Lets just say, that in the real world its a one shot kill even if you only hit an arm or a leg. Blows the appendage clean off leading to death by massive bloodloss in a minute or two. As for a hit to the torso or head. OMG its like an exploding water baloon!!

Freaked me out big time. Saw some Apache gunship nightvision vids a few times and felt a bit guilty for watching them and a bit grossed out but FFS I should never have watched the m95 vids. Will be trying to avoid any vids like that in the future.

Calibos wrote:
    Saw some vids of a real m95 in use in Afganistan (m95 is the .50 cal sniper rifle isn't it?)

Lets just say, that in the real world its a one shot kill even if you only hit an arm or a leg. Blows the appendage clean off leading to death by massive bloodloss in a minute or two. As for a hit to the torso or head. OMG its like an exploding water baloon!!

Freaked me out big time. Saw some Apache gunship nightvision vids a few times and felt a bit guilty for watching them and a bit grossed out but FFS I should never have watched the m95 vids. Will be trying to avoid any vids like that in the future.

.50 calibre is huge. It was a major advance when they made an accurate sniper rifle with a round that big. Its devastating and the game doesn't do it justice at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Well, it is a game. It would be no fun for anyone who isn't a sniper if the rifle was as devastating as it apparently is in real life.

In Real Life the barret can punch through concrete and armour.

There was a sniper in some conflict, not sure what exact one, that was reported as having shot through a house and killing an enemy on the other side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

I've learnt that the US is very nice for one hit kills. Headshots are the only way of course but that's not hard. I've come to the conclusion there's practically no lead or height adjustment necessary really. the tiniest bit of lead purely for ping time is all I would give if the person is running as for bullet drop. There isn't any. Aim for the head and you will succeed. I've taken on guys with machine guns up close with the m24 and all it takes is speed and a quick shot to the head through the scope while they hit the deck or start spraying in your direction.

the MEC's Dragunov is a bit tougher as the crosshair itself isn't as fine like the X on the M24. I find putting the targets head just at the tip of the point and then when you wish to fire moving the point slightly more over the targets head so that it almost fully covers the head is the best way to achieve headshots with the Dragunov.

The m95 is another story altogether and I haven't used it enough yet to have figured it out.
    Same goes for the Chinese rifle though it's easier than the Mec or the US rifles so you shouldn't have any problems with it.

Ry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Calibos wrote:

I saw a few vids of real .50 cal rifles, they had a shock absorber in the stock lol. It was an absolute animal.

Edit/ Heres some vids -
    http://www.biggerhammer.net/barrett/video/

I unlocked the m95 a few days ago and hated it at first, it just takes a bit of time to get used to and after that you'll be unstoppable.

Since using the sniper rifles ive noticed you get better with the pistols aswell, as ive a habit of getting to close to the enemy :D

Heres the video for anyone that is interested.

In fact after re-watching it I actually think its animals that are being obliterated by the .50cal rounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Subliminal

I unlocked the M95 last week, It was my first unlock too, and for a day or two i was p1ssed off that i got it, but when i started to really play in some heavy maps ( 64 plr in Strike at karkland ) i noticed the difference. With the SVD, yes its good to use if you find yourself in a CQB situation, but i use claymores more and more, and move from sniper position to sniper position only. And find i dont get into hotspots as much. The only problem there bieng people on your team ignoring the CLAYMORES AT MY POSITION Message when im sniping, then running into them, instant punish! But i had 2 excellent shots this week, which i could not have done if not for the M95. 1 was when i was on the crane in gulf of oman, the map just loaded, i spawned at the cranes position then climbed immediatly. Just as i get to the top, a full blackhawk is hovering in to take the flag, i aim for 3 seconds.....Boom...Boom. Took out the pilot with the second shot, but he had started to climb, the chopper went into the crane at the bottom and 4 people died! Funny thing is, it didnt say i m95'd the pilot, just said Myname Kills Pilotname. Second was when i was running from mec base on gulf, and i heard a M4 crack off. Guessing it was someone on hilltop, i went prone and scoped it, sure enough a sniper! I was just past gate entry to mec base, and so i aimed to just over this guys head, he was looking towards me, and had taken maybe 5 shots, but they werent even hitting near me. I took him out on the first shot. My point is, that these two shots would be impossable with any other sniper rifle. If i meet someone up close, i pop a 50 cal in them then change to pistol and only a few hits needed. It takes practice, but the M95 is a great weapon. As for a sniper tip... The M95 is great for mid to long range shots. Most importantly, ( And MobileInfantry is 100% right ) TAKE YOUR TIME WITH A SHOT. Shoot anything that moves, and you find you run out of ammo, and people know your position easy. Time your shot, even if it means waiting, and you hit better IMHO. Also reload after every 2nd shot, you dont want to have a perfect shot in sights then CLICK!! M95 rocks tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Ive seen some strange occurances while ive been sniping, yesterday me and a mate were messing on cleansweep, he was flyin a plane and when he came close enough i let of a shot and it killed him lol, the funny thing is it said i killed him with a Blackhawk :confused:

On a map last night I shot a passing helicopter ONCE with the US standard rifle. It crashed and said IRL-Havok[killed] for both the pilot and co pilot?

How'd that happen? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

On a map last night I shot a passing helicopter ONCE with the US standard rifle. It crashed and said IRL-Havok[killed] for both the pilot and co pilot?

Could have been low on health it may have been enough to knock it out.

If you damage a vehicle seconds before it crashes you get the kill. Just like if you are shooting someone and they dive off a cliff you get the kill. The game decides you must have done it considering it was half a second between it dying and you injuring it.

Zillah wrote:
    If you damage a vehicle seconds before it crashes you get the kill. Just like if you are shooting someone and they dive off a cliff you get the kill. The game decides you must have done it considering it was half a second between it dying and you injuring it.

Thats why I always let of a few rounds at a passing plane or heli even if I'm on foot. A lot of the time I'll get a kill assist for managing to hit a passing plane with a few smg rounds which actually do feck all damage but get me the kill assist. And as you said the odd time I'll actually get the kill if the pilot happens to crash just after I've shot him.

I've had people tell me that I'm wasting ammo but my name flashes up on screen enough times with 'Calibos got kill assist' or 'Calibos killed XXX' to make it worthwhile.

Calibos wrote:
    'Calibos got kill assist'

Why do you lie? That doesn't happen. You're the only one that sees if you get the kill assit. Must you turn this into a forum of lies!?

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote:
    Why do you lie? That doesn't happen. You're the only one that sees if you get the kill assit. Must you turn this into a forum of lies!?

What are you on about Zillah??

Calibos wrote:
    What are you on about Zillah??

When you get a kill damage assit it only displays that message to you, not to the server. So you have never seen it say "Calibos got kill assist"

I really don't care, but you did ask.

I noticed that also, but I was too lazy to point it out....Calibos, you shameful exaggerater :D

Your post confused me Zuillah m8 because while "turning this into a forum of lies" did sound melodramatic and tongue in cheek, it wasn't accompanied by a smilie.

I'm not imagining getting the kill assists for a few rounds in a passing chopper though am I?

Sorry, it was an abstract simpsons reference.

..."Must you turn this into a house of liiiies?!"

And no, you didn't imagine getting kill assists for shooting at a chopper.

So I did a little checking and I have found the main reason people miss with the sniper rifles.

The crosshair has to be still for about a second for the shot to be perfectly accurate.

If the crosshair is moving while you fire it will miss. If you fire just as you stop the crosshair, it will miss.

You have to hold it still for a moment, and it'll land right in the centre.

Advertisement