Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortal Combat?

Options
  • 22-09-2005 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭

I loved this game when i was running around in Diapers :p . Are there versions for the pc? Perhaps a free version? I loved playing it on the Sega, not sure which 1.
    Any1 no where i can get a hold of one of the many games?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You should be playing Street Fighter 2 or at least play the far superior SNES version of the MK games (not MK1, give it a miss because it is truely terrible). The best thing to do is use an arcade emulator to play the roms of the MK games. Mame runs the MK games perfectly. You can get it from www.zophar.net or www.mame.net

Can't tell you where to get the roms from since it's against the charter. However it's not hard to figure out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I loved MK1 at the time. It was one of the 5 games I owned for the md.

i was ace at that game, but it was mostly for the fatalities.

in retrospect it was pretty garbage. very basic beat em up. But sure i was a youngster easily entertained by violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

MK2 was a classic

MK3 topped it off.

then downhill:
    MK3 ultimate started getting crap
    then trilogy , then 4

dunno where its at now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I liked MK2 and it's definitely the best in the series because it actually required some skill. The juggle combos were great and the characters were for the most part balanced even though they only differed in their special moves. MK2 on the megadrive was utterly terrible thanks to the clowns at Probe being incompetent and leaving out all the juggle combos. MK3 was utter garbage. The excellent juggle combos were gone and replaced by uncounterable learn the button sequence combos. And this was at a time when Tekken, Virtua Fighter 2 and Samurai Showdown 2 were out. After that it was crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

The last MK game was decent enough, the Kombat Chess and the puzzle game were a nice addition.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

i think trilogy is fantastic and the ones before it,great memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

What about the Sub-Zero spinoff game?

Oh God that burned us...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

there was a sub-zero spin off game?!?!...i want it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

I found the most positive review i could find...

http://www.gamespot.com/n64/action/mortalkombatms/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Sub zero game was pretty weak alright. Whats this about juggle combos i never heard about them having only really played it on the megadrive it seems. Mortal kombat deception was excellent (hehe) partly due to the mini games and the whole exploration part which helped extend the game beyond learning the special moves like all the previous games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Oh god mortal Kombat Mythologies........worst MK game ever by a mile.

Mortal Kombat Trilogy is by far my favourite game. The new games are alright, but like Street Fighter, the true nature and essence of the game can only be captured in the 2D beat em up.

Indeed the fighting games lost something vital when they went 3d. I wonder if the new mortal kombat will improve on the last one for some reason im thinking its only going to go backwards from the progress they made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

MK 2 was my favourite. I lost interest in the series after that when they tried to introduce humour into the games which put me off big time.

To the OP - you may want to try Midway Arcade Treasures Vol 2 details here which is soon to be released on the PC. Though it would be cheaper of course to use emulators.

Kristok wrote:
    Whats this about juggle combos i never heard about them having only really played it on the megadrive it seems.
    They are combos were you keep the player in the air. The megadrive version did have 3 or 4. Most made it in by accident bt the most hits you couls get from a juggle were 2 or 3 no more. Scorpion had an excellent one on the snes and arcade that was ridiculously hard to master but could do an insane amount of damage.

Ah right never heard of them before i must get the emulator out and give it a go.

About the arcade classics 2 its only 13 euro new in game in blanch I had it for a while and it was ok but didnt really like playing mk2/3 on the ps2 for some reason it seemed a bit weird playing it with that controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭patch

If you really *must* have mk1, I saw a stand alone tv plug in yoke in tesco today. Thats the controller with the game built in.
    There was no price on it but I assume it around the 20 quid mark.

Advertisement