Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal Issues - are there some piss-takers???

Options
  • 22-09-2005 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Every once in a while we come across these threads, usually in personal issues, that are posted by "guest".

Now while I understand that some people have a problem, genuinely have no-one to turn to, and are looking for un-biased and anonymous advice, does anyone else think that some of these threads are piss-taking and seeing how many people believe the story and reply to it?

Usually the post goes along the lines of "I have serious problems, stemming from an incident, that I can't go, because even though this is completely anonymous, it's still to traumatic to go into...etc....etc....." Of course by not bringing it up and leaving it as a "general issue" without going into the gory details, peoples interest is piqued and thus the replies begin.

As I've said, some of them are genuine, but surely there must be some piss-taker doing a type of trolling on these boards??
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

It's very possible, but we can never know really. Better to have the glass half full than half empty, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

My view on such possible troll threads on PI is that even if the thread is a troll it can still be of help to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Gordon wrote:
    My view on such possible troll threads on PI is that even if the thread is a troll it can still be of help to people.
    Ditto.

And let's be honest, they can sometimes be quite amusing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Blatant trolls/piss-takers are easy to spot. If someone wants to make up a big, credible sob-story, then that's not really a problem, though it's be better if they didn't. Chances are, someone else could have the same problem, so the advice is just as valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

And let's be honest, they can sometimes be quite amusing :D

Sicko :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Gordon wrote:

this is also my view
    when in doubt leave it,
    if it's an out and out troll, it will be binned or sent else where.
    sometimes I have been very surprised to find what I thought was a troll, was actually true. :/

other than that bruachain, what else do you expect to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

As you said, I guess it's difficult to determine the authenticity of the thread when its anonymous. Some of them I'm just a bit skeptical of in the way that they're worded, and the vague nature of the topics, but I suppose the benefit of the doubt is the best way to play it...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Beruthiel wrote:
    this is also my view
    when in doubt leave it,
    if it's an out and out troll, it will be binned or sent else where.
    sometimes I have been very surprised to find what I thought was a troll, was actually true

True, fact is often stranger than fiction. Plus if you post anon, and give details, it could still be enough for people to recognise you,

Trolls tend to get spotted easily enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

There's spots on meh willeh!?!?!!!?!!?!!?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Sarky, go to a doctor.

Thread closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement