Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need gaming boradband.. No ADSL

• 22-09-2005 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

I need a good gaming Braodband.

I'm very interested in Clearwire but a little concerend about how they ping to game servers in the UK.

Here is the CSS clan server i play on 195.149.21.247

Can you let me know if you find your isp good for games on UK servers and if possible try ping that ip and let me know the results.

The guy in the Clearwire office pinged it and got 16ms but then he is not on a Wireless modem, but should be on the same backbone as the rest of us.

Digiweb offers a similar service anybody get good pings with them?

Thanks Brian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

BT Ireland pings 27 ping to a server on the Redbus (pwner.co.uk) for CSS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Jakkass, the clue is in the thread title. Woody, I don't have pings for wireless providers I'm afraid .. but expect it to be more than 16ms, but more likely not consistent, despite best efforts. IBB don't have a good reputation on these boards. Clearwire and Digiweb (wireless) reports will be coming in a bit more frequently as users get signed up. There is a risk that either will turn out to be as unreliable as IBB as they sign up users, but hopefully they'll have learnt from IBBs mistakes.

.cg

sigh at No ADSL coz i have a screen with 17ms on BT Ireland :eek:
    Look here (clicky)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

With a quality outfit like IBB I get the following ping stats to that host above:

Ping statistics for 213.228.214.210:
    Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 81, Lost = 19 (19% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 23ms, Maximum = 79ms, Average = 32ms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I am a rare case where i don't have a bad word to say about IBB.

Having said that I originally ordered the business line and eventually kept the VL equipment but paid home user prices.

My Pings were phenonemal 2-4 ms to Irish servers 6-10ms to UK servers.

I was on treerock.

I would love to help you out and ping it but alas, i have moved and no longer have that sweet, sweet connection.

If you go with them, it's a big gamble as to how stable and reliable your connection will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Samba wrote:
    My Pings were phenonemal 2-4 ms to Irish servers 6-10ms to UK servers.

Thats impossible.

well its bull**** without ratehacking or sumthing

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

You should play on some swedish servers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

I'm using Irish Broadband and it's great for gaming online. never had any problem with it.

Ping statistics for 213.228.214.210:
    Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 17ms, Maximum = 79ms, Average = 22ms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

ping... pong

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.136.36] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.136.36: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=56
    Reply from 82.195.136.36: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 82.195.136.36:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 3ms, Maximum = 4ms, Average = 3ms

clearly, my penis is the largest :p

• Advertisement

Reply from 82.195.136.36: bytes=32 time=-3ms TTL=56
    Reply from 82.195.136.36: bytes=32 time=-4ms TTL=56

Minimum = -4ms, Maximum = -3ms, Average = -3ms

As you can see here I am using a new kind of Eircom broadband that is based on the idea of faster than light transfer of information where pings are in negitive milliseconds. Its great for both surfing and gaming because the webpage you where going to choose loads before you even think about clicking that hyperlink and in gaming you can see what your opponent is gonna do before they have even tought about it. Fair play to David Mc Redmond and Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

although i have some doubts about those figures, clearz is now clearly top dog in the penis rankings :(

but, at least i'm still competing in the pc specs category :p

clearz wrote:
    Thats impossible.

You obviously did not read my post properly.
    I originally ordered the business line

Now, IBB give priority of bandwidth to their commercial customers and this is why as a home user you will never get that type of latency.

I was living in a penthouse Apt. 5 floors up and around 1km from the treerock mast. My signal was as clean as a whistle.

I think i actually have screen shots with my ping registering on the scoreboard as 0.

In regards to UK servers, my latency was mostly better than UK players latency.

I was on a 4mb line when they originally installed the product.

Nothing is impossible.

bounty wrote:
    although i have some doubts about those figures, clearz is now clearly top dog in the penis rankings :(

but, at least i'm still competing in the pc specs category :p

:D

Samba bandwidth is not necessary directly related to pings. I said impossible because if I do a trace route to a gaming server (jolt) and subtract the ping to the first hop (bas502.cwt.esat.net) which is 35 ms for me from the last hop its still 11 ms now even if the business broadband had a ping or 1 ms over the first hop which is highly unlikely then that means that it is still arround 12 ms to jolts servers in the UK. Now I could be wrong but them quoted pings seem like fiber the entire distance with only 2-3 hops in between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭tim3115

I was just wondering, is digital broadband okay for gaming?

Thanks.

tim3115 wrote:
    I was just wondering, is digital broadband okay for gaming?
    Thanks.

No go for Analog DSL (ADSL) its much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The A in ADSL does not stand for analog and if you actually read his question he clearly stated that he cannot get a DSL connection.

its Asymetric Digital Subscriber Line (which means upload is lower than download)
    Symetric is much better (downloads and uploads are equal)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

I`m in galway. A friend of mine who`s really into gaming got IBB 1meg breeze about 10days ago. Pinging ips is all very well, it can turn out to b very different when you are playing.

I watched as he joined a dod uk server with a ping of 70/80, which isn`t bad. But then the lag began, his ping is all over the place. It goes mental hitting everything between 70-200.

To play online you need consistency and almost all wireless doesn`t seem to b able to give that. He has pretty decent LOS but never the less it is f%cked.

I`m trying to get wireless too for gaming (I MUST GAME),,, but it is SO dodgey. Act on good pings and get it, then you get terrible consistency, then you`re stuck in a 12month contract. :mad:

I`m going to wait to c if my friend can get anything done to improve his service...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

GEt NTL !

• Advertisement

I`m in the sticks, the only hope I have is my perfect view of tunnabrooky. My friend`s dad works for sky and he has free sky+. So he can`t get it either !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

clearz wrote:
    :D

Samba bandwidth is not necessary directly related to pings. I said impossible because if I do a trace route to a gaming server (jolt) and subtract the ping to the first hop (bas502.cwt.esat.net) which is 35 ms for me from the last hop its still 11 ms now even if the business broadband had a ping or 1 ms over the first hop which is highly unlikely then that means that it is still arround 12 ms to jolts servers in the UK. Now I could be wrong but them quoted pings seem like fiber the entire distance with only 2-3 hops in between.

Sorry to go all OT on this but when I was with IBB, on the business connection on the SIAC site, I had the 1Mb:1Mb.

On my best day ewver with them [which actually lasted for about 2 weeks] I had pings between 7ms and 10ms to www.boards.ie and my speed registered as 6Mb:2Mb

I was impressed but it didn't last long and now I'm an Ex-IBB customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭[--SC(+)PE--]

this is a taste of the excelent pings im gettin with ibb :(
    Im lookin in2 gettin imagine broadband as it seems 2 be the only 1 my line passes 4 and thats if i ever get outa irish broadbands service of death

Request timed out.
    Reply from 82.195.136.36: bytes=32 time=120ms TTL=56
    Reply from 82.195.136.36: bytes=32 time=263ms TTL=56
    Reply from 82.195.136.36: bytes=32 time=178ms TTL=56

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
    Minimum = 120ms, Maximum = 263ms, Average = 187ms

D:\Documents and Settings\SCOPE>

its al over the ****in place i played dod for about half an hour on a uk server with constant 40-50 ping and all was well just the 1 time that was ,and then the lag spikes kick in and it can change every second from 60 -180 r so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

The A in ADSL does not stand for analog and if you actually read his question he clearly stated that he cannot get a DSL connection..

Analog DSL
    Clearz was joking, referring to the previous poster "I was just wondering, is digital broadband okay for gaming?"

Lost on some people I guess.. :D

Matt

Matt Simis wrote:
    Analog DSL
    Clearz was joking, referring to the previous poster "I was just wondering, is digital broadband okay for gaming?"

Lost on some people I guess.. :D

Matt

lol Matt some1 caught the irony ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭matdabomb

Ruffty have you not talked to anyone in Irishwan some guys are trying to bring it out to Moycullen soon i think. or try asking the internet cafe up in town if you can install a node from them to you will cost around €400-€500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Sgtshaft

I have Clearwire for the last week and I have had no problem with the service and the pings are surprisingly good, I have been playing battlefield 2 all week and I got pretty solid pings, around 30-50 on UK servers. So I would say give Clearwire a ring and give it a trial.

C:\>ping clearwire.ie

Pinging clearwire.ie [85.134.255.242] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 85.134.255.242: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=62
    Reply from 85.134.255.242: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=62
    Reply from 85.134.255.242: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=62
    Reply from 85.134.255.242: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=62

Ping statistics for 85.134.255.242:
    Minimum = 20ms, Maximum = 29ms, Average = 22ms

C:\>ping jolt.co.uk

Pinging jolt.co.uk [82.133.85.65] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 85.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=58
    Reply from 85.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=58
    Reply from 85.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=58
    Reply from 85.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=58

Ping statistics for 85.133.85.65:
    Minimum = 34ms, Maximum = 42ms, Average = 37ms

IrishTLR wrote:
    Sorry to go all OT on this but when I was with IBB, on the business connection on the SIAC site, I had the 1Mb:1Mb.

On my best day ewver with them [which actually lasted for about 2 weeks] I had pings between 7ms and 10ms to www.boards.ie and my speed registered as 6Mb:2Mb

I was impressed but it didn't last long and now I'm an Ex-IBB customer.

I was one of very few fortunate customers who had this type of service constantly.

From reading peoples opinions, it is clear to see that they have gone to sh!t.

matdabomb wrote:
    Ruffty have you not talked to anyone in Irishwan some guys are trying to bring it out to Moycullen soon i think. or try asking the internet cafe up in town if you can install a node from them to you will cost around €400-€500

Don`t think so, need fast reliable net connection, thanks anyway. I didn`t know the cafe had Irishwan. I went in and asked what type of connection they had, heard satelite and RAN AS FAR AS I COULD !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

clearz wrote:
    No go for Analog DSL (ADSL) its much better.

Lol. Reminds me of Homer Simpson. I am so smart - s m r t

Advertisement