Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you cancel an ebay bid?

• 22-09-2005 1:55pm

How do I do that?

I'm the highest bid so far and the auction closes today?

I presume if I do so,I will get bad feedback?
    I can live with that-Are there any other implications?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

E-mail the auction owner immediately and he can remove your bid.

I sent him a message last night enquiring about the item and went ahead and bid on it anyway.
    The message was sent via"ask the seller a question" he never replied-though this is probably because he is in the U.S.
    It's business hours there on the East coast now though, so he should be replying

I asked him to cancel via the send a message just now aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

You can cance the bid on
    http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?CancelBidShow
    http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?CancelBidShow

and I think in the item itself you also have the option to cancel/retract the bid

Thanks Guys.

I still have had no contact from the seller despite having emailed asking him to cancel my bids.

I have now "won" the auction and yet I dont want the item.
    I sent an email this time to the address that was in the "win" email I got enclosing a copy of the email ebay sent me showing my request to cancel my bids.
    I also asked him to offer the item to the under bidder.

Thats about all I can do.What should happen next? I find it strange that the seller is not answering.
    Hes a member since 2002, has thousands of auctions done and has 99% positive feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

He's probably allready offered the item to the under bidder.
    His delay is most likely due to waiting for the other bidder to respond.

The worst that can happen is that you'll get negative feedback for non payment. (I assume this is your 1st time up for non-payment?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

as long as you sent the message that you didn't want to bid *before* the auction closed then, legally, you are not contractually bound to buy the item so you do'nt need to worry about being caught for Non-payment.

Just make sure that the other guy knows you are out. Don't assume anything. Have you tried contacting the second highest bidder?

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    He's probably allready offered the item to the under bidder.
    His delay is most likely due to waiting for the other bidder to respond.

The worst that can happen is that you'll get negative feedback for non payment. (I assume this is your 1st time up for non-payment?)
    Yup I've only bought one thing on ebay before and I've 1 positive rep for that.
    Farcear wrote:
    as long as you sent the message that you didn't want to bid *before* the auction closed then, legally, you are not contractually bound to buy the item so you do'nt need to worry about being caught for Non-payment.

Just make sure that the other guy knows you are out. Don't assume anything. Have you tried contacting the second highest bidder?
    I sent an email to the seller after the auction had closed suggesting that he offer it to the underbidder as quickly as possible.

The message was sent asking for to cancel the bid via the message to the seller option-I didnt know of those links to cancel above untill it was too late and the auction was over.
    But I definitely cancelled it in writing prior to the end.

So legally I'm covered then?

I dunno whether it is against the ebay charter for me to contact the under bidder? I wont anyway,I'd rather let it take its course.
    The fact that the seller hasnt bothered his barney to answer any of my emails is bad.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Farcear wrote:

There is only one way to correctly retract a bid from _your_ end and thats through the ebay retraction system. Technically emailing the seller isn't worth a twiglet. He wil now be stuck with fees that he will have to reclaim all because of a dicky bid. And you now have to worry about being caught for non-payment. And he'll be p-ed off because he will end up selling to the under-bidder and thats a few bob lost.

Hmmm,
    Arent I equally entitled to be pissed off now that I've sent him 2 messages during the auction and one after and an email and not a reply to any of them??

I contacted the second underbidder just now to let him know.
    The first underbidder is happily bidding away on the same item as I "won".
    The ebay seller in question only sells this one particular item and there seems to be no shortage of demand for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Wouldnt sweat it Earthman, if its one of the bigger sellers with 1000's of sales to their name, then they prolly wont give you negative rep if you mailed them with a reason for non paying as they all dont want any negative rep.
    Have been there before, they just dont leave you feedback and you not them and you both walk away.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Earthman wrote:
    Hmmm,
    Arent I equally entitled to be pissed off now that I've sent him 2 messages during the auction and one after and an email and not a reply to any of them??

I contacted the second underbidder just now to let him know.
    The first underbidder is happily bidding away on the same item as I "won".
    The ebay seller in question only sells this one particular item and there seems to be no shortage of demand for it.

In fairness you have only been waiting around 24hrs ! Sellers don't necessarily live around their pcs. He could have been evacuated from Houston for all we know. You didn't have to bid but you did. He's the one that is out of pocket etc.

It's a bit of a lesson really - don't bid unless you really want to, retract using the form. Now you can try for a mutual agreement not to complete the transaction but even so he can still leave -ve feedback. However if you've only had one previous transaction you could ditch that account (even though ebay say its very naughty).

Regarding the legal aspects of ebay - the ebay forums are full of articles detailing how - at the end of the day - the ebay process is only designed to bring buyers and sellers together and your bids have no legal standing in that you can't force the seller to sell or the buyer to buy. But they can try and "banish" dodgy sellers or buyers from the system (not that it always works).

Hmmm

The seller didnt reply to my emails.
    He seems to have loads of regular auctions on these items-at least 3 a day or more.

But I did get the invoice emailed to me from ebay with the comment at the bottom of it "Cancelled-Bid withdrawn" so I presume that this means that it's sorted and they have accepted that I withdrew,even though I wasn't aware of the proper procedure to withdraw?
    I am now though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

aye. Its sorted.

Advertisement