Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Request] Memory Foam Mattress

Options
  • 22-09-2005 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi
    Would like to buy one of those new type Memory Foam Mattress for my bed.
    They are quite expensive.
    Just wondering if anyone knows where i can get a good quality one without being ripped off?
    Also what is a good make of mattress, I heard Respa are good, is this true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Well my friend I just bought one of these matress's about 2 weeks ago and its worth every penny. I was originally going for a Keymed and when I went into Arnotts to check them out I saw a dedicated display for Tempur. Well it was like lying on a cloud! Used by NASA and for 10 hour operations so patients dont get bed soars. Loved it except the price!! For a king size 25cm depth it was 2500 Yo Yos! Ouch! But I didn't give up there - I looked on the web for this mattress and by chance I found it for nearly 700 quid cheaper!! Its on a site called http://www.bedexpert.co.uk/ - there doing a special deal with 25% off Tempur mattress's + Free Delivery! The said the deal was over end of August but it's still on...

Cost me 1850 for the same mattress in Arnotts.
    The interesting thing about this was I first had to be there when the delivery man delivered it as it weights a TON! (strange for foam) - but the thing that surprised me or delighted me was that when the deliver guy opened the back of his delivery truck there was loads of other mattresses that had Arnotts written on them!! Goes to show how much Arnotts are making on these....

Go for tempur if you've the money dude... I've to wait for some spare cash to get the memory foam pillow.... Your better off buying the pillow in a shop here as you dont save much because of the weight when shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

Argos sell these they are Sealy Memory Foam Mattress I think they are around 700 or 800Euros don’t have an Argos catalog near me at the moment.

Found this on there uk web site:
    http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=3801&productId=175645&clickfrom=name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 xcelti

The mattresses that you buy in Argos are not true memory mattresses, they simply have a layer of visco elastic along with the normal materials that make up a bed.
    Tempur Pedic is the standard, however very expensive and for this very reason I would not recommend. There is "The Back Shop" on Exchequer Street which retails proper visco elastic memory foam mattresses at €1350 for a King Size i.e. 5 foot, these are the real McCoy, the very same as a Tempur Pedic. Its a good idea to go in and lie down on them before you purchase anything.
    If you find that still too expensive, do what I did, have one delivered straight to my door, bought from the States on Ebay. It cost ~ €500 and that included shipping (about 5 weeks). Its the very same as a Tempur Pedic and ten inches deep.
    For your information, it is recommended not to buy less that 5lb Visco Elastic, Tempur Pedic use circa 5lb also.
    I did a lot of reasearch on these mattresses before I bought one, whilst not eliminating my back issues (Had Lumbar Surgery) it has certainly improved things greatly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

You can buy these from the 'online' and 'satellite' American shopping channel/ company whose 'british' website is:- www.qvcuk.com/
    and their parent website in the states is:- www.qvc.com/

The memory foam mattresses they sell are the original type designed for NASA, plus you a get 30 days 'NO QUIBBLE' money back guarantee, so you can even sleep on it and try it out, and if it's not too your satisfaction they even arrange for it to be picked up from your door, right here in Ireland. :), and their delivery charges and prices are unbeatable.

P. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭taung

xcelti wrote:
    The mattresses that you buy in Argos are not true memory mattresses, they simply have a layer of visco elastic along with the normal materials that make up a bed.
    Tempur Pedic is the standard, however very expensive and for this very reason I would not recommend. There is "The Back Shop" on Exchequer Street which retails proper visco elastic memory foam mattresses at €1350 for a King Size i.e. 5 foot, these are the real McCoy, the very same as a Tempur Pedic. Its a good idea to go in and lie down on them before you purchase anything.
    If you find that still too expensive, do what I did, have one delivered straight to my door, bought from the States on Ebay. It cost ~ €500 and that included shipping (about 5 weeks). Its the very same as a Tempur Pedic and ten inches deep.
    For your information, it is recommended not to buy less that 5lb Visco Elastic, Tempur Pedic use circa 5lb also.
    I did a lot of reasearch on these mattresses before I bought one, whilst not eliminating my back issues (Had Lumbar Surgery) it has certainly improved things greatly.

Hi XCelti,

Was it memoryfoamoutlet.com that supplied your mattress?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 xcelti

It was Smokey Mountain Pillow

Dubious name, but thats it..

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭corrcullen

Hi XCelti,
    I was looking at the smokey mountain mattress, like you said, as it seems to be the most reasonably priced so far, is it comfortable to sleep on?
    Also do you have the direct link to the company that will supply one to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Just wondering if anyone else ordered up from the states as I am considering this at the moment?

Feedback appreciated.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Lads.,

We got ours from topsleep.co.uk with 2 free pillows!!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

Lads

has anyone ordered from www.bltbeds.co.uk Their prices especially on sealy beds seem unreal!!! Almost a bit too unreal but im hoping they are legit as they deliver to ireland for extra £60 but still saving a lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

the place in navan cant think of the name but its always on the radio. fitzpatrics? sell them cheap. they supply arnotts

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

do they have a website?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

dont think so mate. i was down there 3 weeks back lookin at bed. i think they were about 1000 - 1500 for a 5ft dont quote me on that. Give them a call there the last shop on the left in the industrial estate

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭dwaned

I've bought 2 doubles from this guy on Ebay:

North West Furniture

As far as I remember the total including delivery was around €300 each but if you contact him he'll tell you the delivery cost.
    The matteress itself is great, very comfy with great support. Both times there was a bit of a delay due to them being out of stock but otherwise I found them very good and friendly to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Paddy20 wrote:
    You can buy these from the 'online' and 'satellite' American shopping channel/ company whose 'british' website is:- www.qvcuk.com/
    and their parent website in the states is:- www.qvc.com/

The memory foam mattresses they sell are the original type designed for NASA, plus you a get 30 days 'NO QUIBBLE' money back guarantee, so you can even sleep on it and try it out, and if it's not too your satisfaction they even arrange for it to be picked up from your door, right here in Ireland. :), and their delivery charges and prices are unbeatable.

P. ;)

I am not sure if they truelly are the "original", but they are NOT the same as the tempur models. Why oh why would the site be selling these for those great prices and on the same site sell a Tempur "overlay" for about 4 times the price of there own mattresses.

I have had a look at quite a few of the cheaper options to the tempur, and just dont think they are in the same ball park at all. But in saying that, they are still much nicer than a regular mattress - so good value in that sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

dwaned wrote:
    I've bought 2 doubles from this guy on Ebay:

North West Furniture

As far as I remember the total including delivery was around €300 each but if you contact him he'll tell you the delivery cost.
    The matteress itself is great, very comfy with great support. Both times there was a bit of a delay due to them being out of stock but otherwise I found them very good and friendly to deal with.

Looks like good value there. Are you using one of them now? Pity about the ebay description. It lacks any real information about the mattress, eg. how thick is the elastic viscous layer. That usually determines the price, yes/no?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭validis_

dwaned:
    Can you give any more details about the matteress you bought from that seller in ebay?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭frost

never tried one of those, but had a waterbed for years and it was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Hi Guys,

Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead, but the missus is demanding a new mattress as the existing one is causing her some back ache. The memory foam seems the right way to go and I've read this thread for help. Smokey Mountain on Ebay don't ship to Ireland so they are out, topsleep prices are good, looking for feedback on them.

Any others to check?

cheerio
    Howard

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭validis_

Did you look at North West Furniture on ebay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭dwaned

Validis did you get my PM?

The memory foam materess on North West is very good. I've been using mine for 3 months now and it's flawless. All I can tell you is that is 8 inches deep and works very well. My wife has a severe back problem and she has found it very good.

North west furniture don't do Super King size either. Tried that and the only other recommendation from the thread was bedexpert which are very expensive but it's the real Tempur brand. Works out about 1800 euro. Can't believe I'm considering spending that money on a mattress!!!

Topsleep come recommended, it's less expensive too. Comes in about 1000, euro.

Cheerio
    Howard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

hshortt wrote:
    Hi Guys,

Smokey Mountain on Ebay don't ship to Ireland so they are out.
    You could go through parcel2go - smokey mountain could ship to the addess that parcel2go give you - then they can offer shipping to Ireland. I havnt had a chance to check this out yet ..other priorities at the moment. If you do, I would be interested to see what rate they give you. Theres a thread on here about them (do a search on 'parcel2go') - apparently they ship via USPS and therefore its very unlikely that you would get caught for customs duty.

ok, hadn't thought of that, but if duty is applied to this then I'd rather not even attempt it. With my luck I'd get stung.

cheers
    Howard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

hshortt wrote:
    North west furniture don't do Super King size either. Tried that and the only other recommendation from the thread was bedexpert which are very expensive but it's the real Tempur brand. Works out about 1800 euro. Can't believe I'm considering spending that money on a mattress!!!

Topsleep come recommended, it's less expensive too. Comes in about 1000, euro.

Cheerio
    Howard

i bought a super king tempur from bedexpert 6 mths ago and it is 1800e well spent, the pillows are fantastic too, free delivery from the uk also

I went and ordered from mrpillow.co.uk not a true tempur but one of the competing products, very happy with the dealings on the phone. 669 Sterling, including free delivery, two free lavender pillows and two free memory foam pillows too.

This was for a super king size.

cheerio
    Howard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MartyHoller

Hi All

Late to this thread but for info anyhoo. The Classic Bed Company in London (http://www.classicbedsteads.co.uk/) have free delivery to UK n Eire for Tempur. Price for Tempur Deluxe KingSize (150cm X 200cm) is £1195 all in.
    That was the cheapest that I could find and a damn sight cheaper than Arnotts!

Marty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I've heard that a memory foam matress is hotter, any truth in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Some foam matress's are hotter alright but the tempur ones have air pocket layers which prevent this. I bought one and it's heaven!

That web site looks good - might get a price on the tempur pillows from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭celt2005

A Chairde,

What are the relevant questions to ascertain quality of the various Memory Foam / Tempur matttresses ????

as of now, only question I would have is is MemoryFoam in matress 10".

Are Tempur-pedic the best Memory Foam on the market ????

Advertisement