Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Request] Memory Foam Mattress

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭WannaGetFit

I found a company in England who shipped me a "La Romantica, Venice" mattress, 2 sided pocket sprung memory foam. Its brilliant. After 2 weeks I tried out my old mattress again for the hell of it and it felt like sleeping on concrete. The company name is Bedkingdom.co.uk. Great service. They are the only ones I found would ship to the Republic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I've ordered off topsleep.co.uk in the past, no issues

My mint Tesla Model 3 for quick sale

Tesla Model 3 link

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭G00L

Another resurrection of this thread. I have had a couple of ops on my back and i am having more trouble with it again now. was advised to get a good bed and mattress in addition. i was looking a the back shop memory mattress and i am going to go in and take a look at it tomorrow. does anyone know of somebody who has bought one of these or are they recommended?

here is a link to their site and a brief description: http://back-shop.com/our-products/for-the-bedroom/

• Registered Users Posts: 19 chardonnay

anyone out there have an update on these? I'm about to buy one from Caseys in Limerick for 3,500 euro. A small fortune but i'd pay it if the returns policy wasn't so crap. there isn't a returns policy for tempur products in ireland apparently. I would Love to hear from anyone who forked out for a tempur: are you happy?...is it worth the expense....I mean the answer to that is yes if you you're sleeping more comfortably than before....?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

G00L wrote: »
    Another resurrection of this thread. I have had a couple of ops on my back and i am having more trouble with it again now. was advised to get a good bed and mattress in addition. i was looking a the back shop memory mattress and i am going to go in and take a look at it tomorrow. does anyone know of somebody who has bought one of these or are they recommended?

here is a link to their site and a brief description: http://back-shop.com/our-products/for-the-bedroom/

Having back trouble myself. I am looking for a mattress that's decent but don't wanna spend a thousand euro. Was in a place behind woodies on the Nass road, prestige beds or something like that. They had memory foam mattresses from 249 and upwards. It seemed cheap but I am going to see if can find them cheaper on line. The mattress I was looking at is called the memory collection. They have no website though. But it was the cheapest one I could find.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 alihandro

Hi guys,

I bought the 17cm double size memory foam mattress from the Home Store + More. Its was a special offer, it cost 345EU before, I bought for 175EU. They writting on the box - Warning: Please air for 72 hours in a well ventilated room. If irritation is coused discontiue use with immediate effect. We unpack it and it has a irritant acute smell. We air it for a week, but its still keep a acute smell..
    Look like its a waist of money:(
    Is any body done with this mattress, how to take a care of this mattress??

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

alihandro wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I bought the 17cm double size memory foam mattress from the Home Store + More. Its was a special offer, it cost 345EU before, I bought for 175EU. They writting on the box - Warning: Please air for 72 hours in a well ventilated room. If irritation is coused discontiue use with immediate effect. We unpack it and it has a irritant acute smell. We air it for a week, but its still keep a acute smell..
    Look like its a waist of money:(
    Is any body done with this mattress, how to take a care of this mattress??

Thanks.
    Some people are sensitive to the smell and may always notice it. Give it another week and hit it with a baseball bat every now and then, it'll help air it out. That smell is the chemical they use for flame retardant along with a few other chemical odours.

Memory foam mattress is currently the apple of the eye of the mattress industry. This technology made a breakthrough in the bedding scene due to its ability in reducing back pains, pressure sores and stiff muscles. But one of the downsides of using this mattress is the factory-like pungent smell once you have stripped its plastic cover.

Memory foam mattresses actually contain chemicals. These chemicals emit a certain kind of odor when it is still brand new. To some, this is mildly irritating. But to most of us, it causes worries. Continuous inhalation of these toxic chemicals might endanger our health.

Here are some tips to help you get rid of the initial memory foam odor:

Tip 1: Do not rip off the plastic cover of the mattress yet. Cut one end of the plastic cover and then pull the mattress. Once it is exposed, sprinkle baking soda on all its sides. Baking soda is a smell eliminator. It diffuses all kinds of smell, even moldy and musty smell. Once you have sprinkled it all over your mattress, cover it again with the plastic wrap to insulate the baking soda. Leave it on over night. Vacuum it off the next morning.

Tip 2: Put the mattress in a sunny and airy room. Open the windows in the room to allow air to circulate inside. You can also put pieces of charcoal on a container and put it on top of the mattress. Blast the mattress with air from an electric fan. Charcoal helps in absorbing bad odour.

Tip 3: If you do not have a spare mattress and you need to use your new memory foam bed immediately, then put a thick bed sheet. Wash the bed sheet every other day. It will help absorb the smell and the smell will cling to your sheets. When washing, put fabric softener in your machine.

Tip 4: Purchase odor absorbing products. There are those odor absorbing products sold in the cleaning isle of the grocery store. Some are in the form of scented glass containers while others can be plugged in for 24-hour room freshness. They might cost a lot of money so your alternative is to make a room freshener made from lemon peel. Put it in a cold aluminium container in the room you are putting your mattress in.
    You do not have to suffer the initial odor of memory foam mattress. With these tips, you can sleep peacefully and soundly.
    Link

There's always going to be an argument over whether or not these mattresses are safe, I personally would never let one in to my house.

There are loads of websites like this one.

NASA invented memory foam and even they don't use it because of the smell.
    NASA originally developed memory foam in 1966 because astronauts experience heavy G-forces during a launch. Viscoelastic foam was made to help provide them with more comfort. Later, they found out the foam released a small amount of gas. In a normal setting, this would not be a problem. However, a space shuttle is completely enclosed, and gas could build up enough in that environment to cause problems.
    Link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 1johnnycat

Hi - I am from the States living in Sligo for about 1 1/2 yrs. We own a king size tempurpedic mattress at home and boy do I miss it here! It is the most comfortable bed I have ever owned and well worth the money. We paid $2000 about 8 years ago and the bed is still like new. Just so you know, in the States at least, Tempur all Tempur beds have a 20 year warranty - if the mattress starts getting even the least little indentation that doesn't recover, they will replace free of charge. Go for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

*Ahem* Thread resurrection.

I'm seriously on the lookout for a keenly priced memory foam mattress. Because of the small size of our bedroom, we can only go with a standard (4'6") double. We wish we could simply by the Ikea memory foam, which we've tested, but it's just not possible.

Secondly, we don't have the budget for a full-on Tempur mattress. This thread is very helpful, but I'm sure things/shops/brands have moved on since the last post and before.

Preferably, I'd like recommendations and to find a showroom in which to test the mattresses. After that, I'd rather find a cheaper mattress elsewhere and get an Irish story to price-match, but failing that, order off the internet.

This thread's been great, but I'm a bit confused by it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

I've recently been looking around myself. Don't want to go mad and spend ~2000 yo yos but I don't mind hitting 700-750. I looked at http://www.costplussofas.com/ on the long mile road and they'd a few I was keen on. I asked one of the salesman if he'd do a deal and he said he'd talk to the manager and call me on the mobile later. Bastid never called but I'll probably go back anyway and buy the one I was looking at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Just to keep this thread going for anyone who might be interested.

I have been thinking of putting my experiences of a Tempur mattress on the forum for some time but only now got around to it.

My partner & I bought a Tempur mattress about three years ago now.
    It was expensive but its a quality product.

Just a word of warning though.
    It doesn't suit everyone.
    Some months after we bought ours I started to have back & hip trouble.
    I found I was walking very stiff & upright & was having severe pain at times when doing simple things like lifting etc.
    I thought I had done something stupid when lifting a weight so I suffered on for a few months.

Eventually one day while we were having a coffee I suggested that it might be the mattress since I had never had any trouble before we got it.
    I decided to try something so I got a light duvet like you might use in Summer. I put this duvet across the mattress under the bed sheet just to see if it made any difference.
    That was over 18 months ago. My back & hip pain disappeared within a short period & no trouble since.

I had read on some forum somewhere that this could happen to some people. In most cases people seem to just get rid of the mattress but fortunately in my case the experiment with the duvet worked.

Memory foam mattress's are a great idea but be careful as they're not like ordinary mattress's & may not be to everyone's liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I know its some years since this thread was used but does anyone know currently where is the cheapest place in Ireland to get Tempur or is it best to buy from the UK and have it shipped?

Many thanks
    Zelda

Zelda247 wrote: »
    I know its some years since this thread was used but does anyone know currently where is the cheapest place in Ireland to get Tempur or is it best to buy from the UK and have it shipped?

Many thanks
    Zelda

Hi Zelda.
    Don't know where you are but we bought ours from Caseys in Cork.
    They also have a shop in Limerick.

We are moving over to live in Killorglin, Kerry so they might deliver from Cork with a bit of luck, thanks for your response.

Cheers
    Zelda

Zelda247 wrote: »
    We are moving over to live in Killorglin, Kerry so they might deliver from Cork with a bit of luck, thanks for your response.

Cheers
    Zelda

I live further along the Ring of Kerry & they will deliver.
    We have used them on several occasions & found them to be an excellent company.
    Very professional.
    I presume you have used Tempur before as some people have problems,not with the mattress but with aches & pains etc like I described in a post further up this thread.

Tony.

We have had memory foam mattresses toppers and get on very well with those so hopefully there would be no problems with the full size mattress.

Many thanks for all your help.

You're welcome.
    By the way they're very very heavy.
    Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Where can I find that one?
    Dervive wrote: »
    Sleep Innovations 10-inch Sure Temp Memory Foam Mattress with 20-Year , with 2-Bonus Memory Foam Pillows, Queen Size is best obe ever known to me along with multiple things... It has luxurious poly cotton blend mattress cover..

Advertisement