Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSN Messenger issue on eircom DSL

• 22-09-2005 3:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭

Howdy, is anyone having issues with MSN on eircom BB? I've a fixed IP range from them, and the route to messenger.hotmail.com seems to die in London. I notice, though, they use a different route for another eircom DSL conneciton of BAS in Limerick.

I've tried ringing them and got through to a Richard who was blaming my MSN client, the MSN service, my modem/firewall, and general network issues outside their control. In fact he didn't even listen to what I had to say (after "I've an issues with MSN Messenger"). So I had to be quite rude and cut him off and explain that I can't open ports on my DSL modem, because, well, because its a Modem and not a router or firewall. All to no avail. So I had to be quite rude, because I hadn't any time to go around in circles, so I've to email broadband.support@eircom.net (anyone any better address to contact NOC guys? PM me if you want!). Richard if you're reading, sorry for being rude, but you really need to listen, and not just assume, let alone give out incorrect information.

My trace is ..
    2    51 ms    52 ms    51 ms  b-ras1.prp.dublin.eircom.net [159.134.155.26]
      3    51 ms    49 ms    48 ms  ge0-3.edge2.prp.dublin.eircom.net [159.134.69.17]
      4   354 ms   327 ms   301 ms  fe4-0-0.core1.the.london.eircom.net [159.134.192.161]
      5     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      6     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Im having the same problem as you, my msn keeps timing out every few minutes over past 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭BlueShaun

Same here, on eircom dial up. (just the last 2 days)

ps i didnt choose the package or pay the bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Malafus

Yep, disco problems all over the place, MSN, IRC, a couple other programs... what are Eircom up to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 asdfghjkl12345

im on eircom dial up and ive got this problem also ;(

any ideas of how it can be fixed? athough its not as bad today as it was yesterday

im on eircom dial up and ive got this problem also ;(

any ideas of how it can be fixed? athough its not as bad today as it was yesterday

It would involve a secret militia, governmental overthrow. And eircom heads on pikes..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

definitely eircom routing problems, as you can see the last hop being their peering point in london. I havent actively tested mine but i have had problems ( and my girlfriend too, also eircom ) in the past with messenger just 'signing me out' or unable to sign back in for awhile. also now and again other things just seem to instantaneously disconnect, and i mean 1 app out of possibly 3 or 4 that would be communicating at the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Malafus wrote:
    what are Eircom up to?

By faffing with the routes they make it impossible for people to use MSN or any other messenger as a VoIP client .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

well thankfully, skype, teamspeak, kdx, and many others work perfectly, but yah im sure they would pull anything they could at the moment, especially since even Smart are preparing a VoIP service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

I'm on Netsource and MSN is borked too, keeps logging me out. Are you sure this is an eircom issue? Theres another thread about it here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Yup I too am having problems..

On a quick sidenote: Could this affect wireless lan?
    The connection on comp upstairs was working fine, then just stopped.
    The main pc claims that "A network cable is unplugged" although no one has touched it(I'm only one in the house at the moment).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭pugleon

I get disconnects from Eircom, BT, IBB and others. Ever considered its Microsoft not keeping their boxes in premium hosting with multiple providers because its a free service and they really dont care unless theres money to be made?

If the regulator ever gets the finger out and forces through naked dsl, they would be ****ed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

pugleon wrote:
    I get disconnects from Eircom, BT, IBB and others. Ever considered its Microsoft not keeping their boxes in premium hosting with multiple providers because its a free service and they really dont care unless theres money to be made?
    Wow, you've handy access to various ISPs. I've access to servers all around the world (not ISPs in Ireland though) and when I tunnel through them it works fine. That coupled with the broken trace (which does comlpete at different times during the day) leads me to point at eircom, in the first instance. It might not be the problem at all, it's true, but that part is broken, and is the first point of my problem anyway.

.cg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭pugleon

I'm not saying you arent having problems with your connection. Just that there are a few things to take into account. I can ssh to webservers I have in the states and oz and get msn no problems.

But msn is poorly hosted considering the masses of traffic going through it. Not enough/any local servers etc. Secondly its a free service for the basic stuff, ms could care less about non profit stuff. Billy G isn't a gazillionaire for giving stuff away for free.

Yeah, well I vpn to different sites we have at the company I work for. Some are hosted with different isp's, some directly by carrier networks. So I get a good taste of whats out there. Every ISP has atlantic transit issues these days. Intoduction of high end dsl and fiber sparked that off I think...

Just saying its not an Eircom specific issue...

cgarvey wrote:
    Wow, you've handy access to various ISPs. I've access to servers all around the world (not ISPs in Ireland though) and when I tunnel through them it works fine. That coupled with the broken trace (which does comlpete at different times during the day) leads me to point at eircom, in the first instance. It might not be the problem at all, it's true, but that part is broken, and is the first point of my problem anyway.

.cg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

cgarvey wrote:
    Howdy, is anyone having issues with MSN on eircom BB?
    Yes, me too, Eircom BB, MSN, pile o' poo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

pugleon wrote:
    I'm not saying you arent having problems with your connection. Just that there are a few things to take into account. I can ssh to webservers I have in the states and oz and get msn no problems.

But msn is poorly hosted considering the masses of traffic going through it. Not enough/any local servers etc. Secondly its a free service for the basic stuff, ms could care less about non profit stuff. Billy G isn't a gazillionaire for giving stuff away for free.

Yeah, well I vpn to different sites we have at the company I work for. Some are hosted with different isp's, some directly by carrier networks. So I get a good taste of whats out there. Every ISP has atlantic transit issues these days. Intoduction of high end dsl and fiber sparked that off I think...

Just saying its not an Eircom specific issue...
    Actually there is lots of money to be made from MSN. Directly from it and indirectly as well!

I was having those problems on Eircom for the past few days. Not happening now though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

seeing as how i live outside limerick city i seem to have no problems
    is that because im on a different thing to the dubs or have i got it totally wrong (which wouldnt suprise me)

Advertisement