Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite Character

• 22-09-2005 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

Who is everyone's favourite character from a film and why?
    I think mine is the angry Irish guy in the pub in Withnail & I. For the five minutes he's on screen he's hilarious. The fact he picks a fight with Paul McGann's character - "perfume ponce!" - for no real reason is brilliant...
    "I'll murder the pair of yis!"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

The Dude from Big Lebowski.
    Why? Well... he's the Dude.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think mine is the angry Irish guy in the pub in Withnail & I. For the five minutes he's on screen he's hilarious. The fact he picks a fight with Paul McGann's character - "perfume ponce!" - for no real reason is brilliant...

'Who are you, mac f*ck!' :D
    He called I a perfumed ponce because he had to put essence of pertunia on his shoes after Withnail vomited of them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Very interesting thread alright. Don't know if I can pick one, so here are my favourites:

The Dude - already mentioned, but Jeez is he a hero! Dude for President!
    Max Fisher, Rushmore - "I wrote and directed a hit play!" .the Ultimate loser. As they say in Red Dwarf, what a guy.
    Frank the Rabbit - cause he's a giant rabbit who forecasts the end of the world. Duh.
    William Miller - my hero. I'd like to say he reminds me of me... so I will.

There's a few favourites...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Who is everyone's favourite character from a film and why?

So many great characters in that film! Lets not forget Danny and Presuming Ed the Giant Spade. Oh and uncle Monty too of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Withnail and I, what a great movie. The uncle in that was hilarious. What was the name of the actor again?

I absolutely love Charlie Sheen in Platoon, as well as Tom Berenger and Willem Dafoe. Possibly my favourite movie ever in terms of characters as well as general content...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Good thread alright, the only surprise is that I'm having trouble thinking of some.......John McLane will always be a classic for me. Samuel L. Jackson's Jules from Pulp Fiction is cool as well...he's a bad mother****er :)
    Then you've got Ripley from Alien, Riddick from Pitch Black, and possibly my all-time favourite, Ash from Evil Dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Lopper

The Man With No Name (Clint Eastwood) and Tuco (Eli Wallach) from the Good the Bad and The Ugly especially play off eachother.

Kevin Spacey's character in American Beauty (forget the name)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

The Lopper wrote:
    Kevin Spacey's character in American Beauty (forget the name)
    Lester (something)

I like Winston Wolf from Pulp Fiction, there's something about his character

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Lester Burnham.

(I'm not saying he's my favourite character, just telling those guys his name.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

marvin the depressed robot. if only they had expanded his character

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Sean Bean's Boromir, i mean, even just for the death scene alone, that's some way to make your exit!

Respect :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Withnail and I, what a great movie. The uncle in that was hilarious. What was the name of the actor again?

Richard Griffith. Legend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

The Irish guy was very good alright. Other great characters that spring to mind are Jesus Quintana in Big Lebowski, and Luco Brasi in the Godfather.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Tyler Durden in Fight club. Some of the quotes are amazing in that movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Spud in Trainspotting......pure classic!!!!

Apart from that Donnie Darko charcter....just so f**ked up!! love that fim

Stifler in all 3 American Pie's(character also in Road trip)...watch them to get in good mood.....perfect Seann William Scott character

Horror fav: Hannibal Lector

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Personally I have always loved Colm Meaney in any Roddy Doyle movie

He is hillarious as Jimmy Rabitte (snr) in the Commitments and also as Daddy Curley (cant remember his first name) in the Snapper

Notable mentions go out to John McClain(diehard) and Andy Dufrane(shawshank redemption)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

Raoul Duke, from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

he is my mentor. now wheres that pint of ether!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Bit of an obscure one, but James Gandolfini's gay hitman in The Mexican was excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I somehow forgot to mention Ash From Evil Dead.

Best. Character. EVER

EDEAD8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Illkillya wrote:
    Jesus Quintana in Big Lebowski, .
    OMG! I was going to say him and didnt think anybody else ever would have mentioned him.

thatsa right, donta fuk with de jesus

mr T as clubber lang in rocky 3 is class, amazing lines. "Im gonna beat you like a dog, A DOG YOU HEAR!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Good idea for a thread :)

Michael Corleone in 'The Godfather' - his journey from young man to the don is amazing.
    Hannibal Lecter in 'Silence of the Lambs' - pure evil gift wrapped in a scholarly, polite package.
    Rob Gordon in 'High Fidelity' - he's a thirty-something version of me.
    Celine in 'Before Sunrise' & 'Before Sunset' - neurotic, beautiful and profound in equal measures
    Lester Burnham in 'American Beauty' - oh, to be that witty and cutting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

Lester Burnham without a doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

I always wanted to be Indian Jones.
    Colm Meaney (The Snapper) for comedy.
    Micheal Myers for Horror

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Shellie13

Hilary Swaks character in Million Dollar Baby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

I know its a bit of a poor choice but its the very first charachter that popped into my head when I saw this thread.

Steve Stiffler (American Pie) I think he is one of the most ridiculously funny charachters ever. Dont know why but in all the films no matter what he says it sounds funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

CrimE wrote:
    Steve Stiffler (American Pie) I think he is one of the most ridiculously funny charachters ever. Dont know why but in all the films no matter what he says it sounds funny.
    Its his facial expressions too, eyes always open wide or a look of disgust/disbelief. I think everybody knows a stifler, from school etc.

Advertisement