Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RE: CD has a crack.. ands its getting bigger!

Options
  • 22-09-2005 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭

If the cracks have not reached the writable part of the CD yet you should be able to drill the crack with as small a drill bit as you can.
    This should prevent the crack from spreading.
    (If its works on airplanes it should work for a CD)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

The same question was posted a few threads down from this one and was closed before the usually stuff came up about copying and so on!! ring EA and ask for replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Big Nelly wrote:
    The same question was posted a few threads down from this one and was closed before the usually stuff came up about copying and so on!! ring EA and ask for replacement
    I know, I was replying to the closed thread as I think its useful info.
    hence the "RE:".
    G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Oh god someone please try this and post pics.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

consider it done
    (if I can find a cracked CD around)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

if its recently purchased and its done this you can bring it back to the shop as a faulty disc, tell them it happened when you put it in your disc drive.

EA were scandalized already by using substandard plastics in their discs...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I had the original problem and got BF2 over a month ago.
    I've no proof of purchase, so cant go back to shop or EA for a free one.
    I think EA will only give me a new disc if I send this one away and pay £7.50STG (plus P&P).
    And I've no idea how long that'd take :mad:
    Here's the crack... one end is slowly making its was onto the readable section it seems..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Normally happens when you try push the game into a box with some other disc and put pressure on it, or when trying to get it out of an overly tight box.

Battlefield 1942 had crappy quality discs, I broke several copies, and by broke, I mean I had the crack appear and then spread into the disc.

Looks like its already spread onto the readable section on your disc judging by the picture, on the right...I have 2 dvd drives, so just leave BF2 in one of them 24/7...can't be too careful!

Also, Greenbo is correct. If you catch the crack with a drill bit before it gets too big, it won't go past the little hole

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

EA replaced a cracked CD for me last year at no expense to myself besides posting it back to them (after arranging it via their email support people). There was no receipt or anything required, even though their site said so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Stephen wrote:
    EA replaced a cracked CD for me last year at no expense to myself besides posting it back to them (after arranging it via their email support people). There was no receipt or anything required, even though their site said so.
    ooh, cheers for this.
    Can you remember the support section? I presume its EA in the UK?
    I''ll look into the route :)
    Besides, I've bought so much of EAs stuff over the years, I think they should treat me as a loyal customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Whiskeyman,

I might have to buy BF2 again today, as some ****wit threw out my manual and I had to reinstall.....so I will prob have a spare cd and box

• Advertisement
Advertisement