Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major UK mobile TV trial starts

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i doubt it will be for a while, but sure you never know, i say once a stable 3g network is in place, o2 were also trialing it in oxford, but ive succesfully streamed bbc news a while back on my n-gage, but the gprs prices left me a nice bill of 23 euros extra.

from looking at a bit about it on sky news, i wonder is a service that you get a link through a 3g webpage and then it logs on to a second standalone 3g carrier channel?
    because id assume if the 3g service was under stress the video would go choppy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

that particular trial isn't using 'regular' 3G streaming to deliver the content - it's using DVB-H technology [tech details at that link] - which offers a ways of maintaining a good quality image, improved battery life and handling user interaction / delivery of background content

had a play with one of Siemen's concept devices demonstrating DBH-H earlier in the year:

siemens_dvb-h_demo_tv_devices.ie.jpg

siemens_dvb-h_demo_phone_devices.ie.jpg

you can find the background data on Siemen's demo device (that was running Linux for anyone who is interested in that background info!) on their CeBIT '05 site here (scroll down a bit)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

oh i see, i did hear dvb-h mentioned, it is an interesting system altogether, but its a system that is handy but in itself id find distracting.

Advertisement