Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the numbers possible spoilers

• 22-09-2005 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭ikol

here is a LOST theory that I found from the ABC LOST board:

Posted: Sep 21 @ 02:36 PM
    by: notlost17

I recently found an interesting natuarlly occuring thoery found in our world that states everyone has a mirror image somewhere in the world. You may have heard of this. Its called Roussau's genetic mirror theory, and I must say it is very interesting. Roussau's genetic mirror theory says that everyone in the world has an exact twin somewhere, however according to the theory you never encounter this person, by laws of probablitly and other natuaral occuring phemnomen. Its the theory that was devised by a French Mathematician named Marseille Roussau in the year 1988. He used a series of numbers to explain his theory. Now I know you're not going to believe this but here goes.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Let me explain...

The 4 stands for 4 degrees of separation (not 6 or 7 as commonly stated.) Roussau believed that everyone in the world was connected by four different people. So in theory could meet yourself by using four different people connected to you. Example: Your brother's, boss's, neighbor nephew, knows your mirror. Hard to believe, I know but keep reading.

The 8 stands for the eight continent, or the only place in the world where you could meet your mirror. He calculated it to be somewhere in the south pacific. Now we know its not actually as large as the other contintents but its used figurtively because everyone in all 7 continents could meet there mirror on the 8th universal continent.

The 15 stands for the chances of you acually meeting yourself on this place, as in 15 out of 4,815,162,342. Look at the second set "815." Ring any bells? Interesting huh?

The 16 stands for the maximum amount of people that could encounter thier twin all at the same time. Think about the number of main characters.

The 23 is the number of years apart your twin and yourself are. You are not the same age as your twin. By chance and probablity it takes 23 years exactly for the same genes that made you to be connected again to form another you.

The 42 stands for the maximimum number of years your twin and yourself can be alive at the same time. However people do die at diffferent times so thats why everyone isn't dead at 75. For example my twin was born on Sept. 6 2003 b/c i was born on Spet. 6 1980. Now that doesn't mean i will die in the year 2045, I could, but its not set in stone. My twin could die when he is 16, and then the whole thing starts over again.

This is all very complicated and I don't know how well I explained it but the connections with the show are too coinidental to not be real.

Roussau and his team (wife, included) went to the 8th continent. You can figure out how they died and why by the numbers and equations. It also fits with every character. You can predict when they will die. There are others on the island who are twins of the survivors, but have been there 23 years longer.

There is a book Roussau wrote 16 years ago in 1988 when he came up with the theory. Thats where I got it from

which may explain this

Script page..........(spoiler)

www.oceanicflight815.com

click on barcode.

type in theislandiswaiting

script page.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

:eek:

that is very interesting... something tells me I shouldn't have read the script page though... or read that theory even..

Wow, that makes so much sense.
    and the script page makes it clear.

Amazing theory!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Thats obviously the solution.Everything fits togethrer perfectly

Sweet wrote:
    Thats obviously the solution.Everything fits togethrer perfectly

i wouldn't say that, Lost has shown time and time again that nothing's certain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

it couldn't be the whole solution, however well it does make sense... how the hell did the polar bear get there? what about Walt's powers? what about the pirate ship? and the nigerian plane? It still does leave a lot of questions unanswered even if it is true..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭ikol

i actually think its all a hoax the post on abc's lost board and it's direct relation to oceanic website clue, it must be a plant,remember in season 1 when we saw a script about the monster which turned out to be unused i think it's the same with this, why would they ruin the series for us. their trying to keep it secretive so leaked something that they were thinking but didnt use.it just seems too convient that this idea went up and then the discovery of the script...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Whats Danielles 2nd name?

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭ikol

check out here forums.go.com/abc/oceanic/thread?start=0&threadID=561366 think it definilty a plant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Danielle Rousseau
    Roussau's

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭nome

obviously a plant, script is headed Man of Science, Man of Faith but from reading the full reviews of it we know the script scene doesn't happen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

i think that theory is just a play on the Doppleganger theory ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I've never heard of this guy or his theory... and neither has google.

Also for a mathmatician this really doesn't seem to contain any math at all.

He calculated the position of a mysterious 8th continent? And this is the only place you can meet your double? Then how does my brother's, boss's, neighbor's nephew know my double? I'm pretty sure he's never been to a mysterious 8th continent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

OMG fantastic... It' still just another theory but fan-F-in-tastic

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Only mention of this theory is http://www.ericd.net/blogger_clean.asp
    and its all the same text, and thats searching amazon.com for the book :)
    It came up in the blog search section...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

I've never heard of this guy or his theory... and neither has google.

Also for a mathmatician this really doesn't seem to contain any math at all.

He calculated the position of a mysterious 8th continent? And this is the only place you can meet your double? Then how does my brother's, boss's, neighbor's nephew know my double? I'm pretty sure he's never been to a mysterious 8th continent.

This entire thing is the most unscientific idea I've heard in a while. It's beaten 'too much of a coincidence' on my 'unscientific annoyance' list.

Seems to me like it was invented and planted by the producers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Earwig Eddie

that really is rubbish. not one paragraph makes sense. like somethjng an attention seeking teenager would make up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

that really is rubbish. not one paragraph makes sense. like somethjng an attention seeking teenager would make up.

Hmm.... makes sense to me. Although I may not believe it, it's only a theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Earwig Eddie

maybe im missing something just my thoughts here, and i do realise that the original poster is just quoting from somewhere else so no hostilities intended!:

the opening paragraph says "according to the theory you never encounter this person". a couple of paragraphs down it contradicts itself and gives a (ridiculously specific) figure of the probability youll meet em.

4 degrees of separation - sounds a bit optimistic (low) but ok.

8th continent - a purely abstract concept, how could it be "calculated to be in the south pacific"? and why would this be the only place you could meet your mirror?

"The 15 stands for the chances of you acually meeting yourself on this place, as in 15 out of 4,815,162,342" If this place is an island in the south pacific, and you are both on it, surely the odds of encountering yourself arre better than about 300 million to one.

16: if the chances of meeting yourself are 300M-1, the chances of 16 people meeting their twin at the same time (at all ever actually) is 300M to the power of 16, a ridiculously large number, but why would the limit be 16?

23 years for the exact same genes to create you again??? so little is known about genetics that to arrive at figure would be farcical, maybe im wrong but would you not have to have the same partents/grandparents etc?

the paragraph about 42 just makes no sense at all, its the maximum number of years you can be alive together. why? then it goes on to say the twin could die at 16, its not set in stone? in other words 42 has absolutely no meaning whatsoever.

i havent tried myself but the fact that someone said google knows nothing of this aswell, to me it sounds like some idiot with time on his hands trying to make stuff up. in fact i reckon i could have come up with a better fabrication myself! -eddie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

well it seems all google gives are other people with the same text from this writer...ALL TALKING ABOUT LOST

will be interesting to see how fast this populates the web over the next few weeks....

Earwig Eddie sums it up well. Sheer crap.
    will be interesting to see how fast this populates the web over the next few weeks....

Depends if people have their bull****-detectors turned on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Dellgirl

Picture of Book

YOU GUYS GOT PUNK'D!!!!!!!

Basically I made the whole thing up in ten minutes. This is me in a disguise to protect my identity as I'm sure I have made many enemies. Anyone who wants to put me on TV or radio, I'll do it. Say the word.

-Brillo

(Post a new comment)

yeathatwasme
    2005-09-24 02:11 (link)
    et autres phenomenes qui arrivent naturellements, if you're gonna punk, do it correctly.
    (Reply to this) (Thread)

mattalcala
    2005-09-24 02:49 (link)
    we apologize
    (Reply to this) (Parent)

(Deleted post)
    my name
    (Anonymous)
    2005-09-25 21:33 (link)
    matt, can you change my name to just "Nick" without my last name?
    (Reply to this) (Parent)

wow
    (Anonymous)
    2005-09-24 04:19 (link)
    props to you. Ok so the whole thing was made up but I still think it was a brilliant theory. In my opinion, you need to become a screenwriter because wow, your topic kept me up till 1:00 in the morning because I was so Intrigued.
    (Reply to this)

patrike
    2005-09-24 05:20 (link)
    Ah come on Brillo, don't you have better things to do with your time besides fooling a bunch of freakishly devoted fans? I must say that I read the post and it cracked me up so props to you. Yall need to wait for rollerball 2 till I come home. Oh and Matt post the link to the message board so that everybody can understand.

(Matt pass this on to Brillo)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

that's an offical abc page, so the theory may be made up but the script page is from the lost makers, a false one they put out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Dellgirl

dunno, just thought id copy it and throw it in the pot. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

May have been mentioned before but just thought id mention that the beach plane that Sayid said appeared to have come from Nigeria, the numbers when typed into google maps pinpoints a spot in central africa.

Anyone think it cud be important or am i just clutchin at straws for a new theory? (probably yes)

And why would the numbers, published in a book in 1988, be broadcast from the island before then, and why would it make them cursed?

No, I don't think they have geographic signifigance, but 23 is a significant number in discordianism, and 42 is the meaning of life.

Advertisement