Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV: Thu 22/9/05 9:50pm BBC2 Underground Britain

Options
  • 22-09-2005 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭

DOCUMENTARY: Underground Britain
    Channel: BBC 2 Northern Ireland (Digital) 102
    Date: Thursday 22nd September 2005
    Time: 21:50 to 22:30
    Duration: 40 minutes.

Psychic Surgeon.

Series of profiles about people who may not be all that they seem. Robyn Welch claims she is the only healer in the world able to see inside the human body. Through her special energies she says she is able to communicate with human body parts and operate on them over the telephone. Film-makers Angharad and Sara Penrhyn Jones take us on a disturbing journey into the world of a so-called medical intuitive.
    (Followed by BBC Newsline Update, Widescreen, Subtitles)

Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/
    Copyright ©1999-2004 GipsyMedia Ltd.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> the only healer in the world able to see inside the human body

Except for all the other ones. Robyn mustn't have been watching Discovery last week, when Richard Wiseman demolished the claims of Natasha Demkina to do something similar. Pravda's surreal and huffy text on Natasha is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

robindch wrote:
    >Except for all the other ones. Robyn mustn't have been watching Discovery last week, when Richard Wiseman demolished the claims of Natasha Demkina to do something similar.
    Any idea what the program was called and if it's repeated?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> Any idea what the program was called and if it's repeated?

<cough> Quoting from the third sentence of the first link:
    The Discovery Channel asked Richard Wiseman, Andrew Skolnick, and me to test her claim for their television program, The Girl with X-ray Eyes.
    :)

Yes, it's certainly been repeated since it was first aired around a year ago and this link says that it's going to be on a channel called TLC in around ten days time. Most things on Discovery turn up again, sooner or later, if you wait long enough.

Being a russophile, I did start my video recording when I saw it come on (and ended up with around two-thirds of it), but, tbh, it's not the best documentary ever made; the American end isn't brilliant (they don't show anything about the crucial negotiations between the two sides for the design of the test), while the Russian end of it is frightfully soft-soaped (what a ncie and honest, church-going girl, smiling at all the right places; basking in the love of the toothy proletariat; 'not a sly bone in her body' kind of thing). Though, having said that, they did catch one of her engagingly soviet-style media supporters coming out with something like "you shouldn't test sincere people like her, you should just believe them.", which I suppose is the whole problem really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Thought the programme on BBC2 was priceless. My head almost ached from shaking throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

As sincerity is often talked about, what do you reckon after seeing the program? Do you think Robyn genuinely believes she has these powers or is she a con-artist? Her reaction to some of the questions and her general demeanor lead me to think she is conciously deceiving people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Yep ... thought she was a con-woman. Maybe self-deluded. But hard to see that when she openly lies about 'making ends meet' when she's charging some poor sod (and presumably everyone else too) thousands for phonecalls.

Advertisement