Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone HAPPY with IBB??

• 22-09-2005 5:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭

i've heard all the ripwave stories of horror, but i got a house up on the ballymun road while i'm going to DCU, and its the only broadband that seems cheap enough for me to get!

so is anyone happy with the service at all? is there any happy stories? or would i be better off drinkin the 19 quid a month?? ;)

thanks lads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

A friend of mine has it in Waterford and he's very happy with. Excellent upload and download speeds. Could be a one off though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Vinny, I live beside the Slipper there and even though I hate those fcuking greedy, sly, scumbags IBB, Ive not had many problems with Ripwave, its gone slow a few times, but is generally fine.

Just dont expect to EVER get in touch with a human being if you want to email or phone them. Its impossible, theyre like some wierd fcuked up invisable evil corporation.

Generally I think most people have a sh1t time with IBB, and they do themselves no favours by being ellusive, enigmatic, aloof kunts.

I OWE them money- I WANT TO GIVE THEM THEIR MONEY- I WANT IT OUT OF MY ACCOUNT, AND I STILL CANT GET A HUMAN BEING ON THE PHONE!

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

womoma, cheers i'm just a bit up the road from ye, yea i might get it i mean 19 a month is shag all really. do you need a box on the roof or whats the story with installation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

does anyone remember the time when ibb were the darlings of boards. if you had the temerity to say boo about ibb the whole house would fall in on you,
    somebody should write the history of ibb on boards-a fascinating yarn of grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

VinnyL wrote:
    womoma, cheers i'm just a bit up the road from ye, yea i might get it i mean 19 a month is shag all really. do you need a box on the roof or whats the story with installation?
    No. It is just a box with a small antenna. Also check out clearwire, another company offering wireless broadband without the need of a roof antenna. They offer higher speeds and lower latency. So far there have not been too many problems reported here. I might give them a go myself when their prices come down a bit.

• Advertisement

i checked out clearwires website, doent seem like they've even launched yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

VinnyL wrote:
    i checked out clearwires website, doent seem like they've even launched yet
    They are trialling the services atm. There have been a few reports so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Yup really good experience here!! Im off the Bray mast. Couldnt reccoment it more ... (Sits and waits for Dub45 to arrive(",))

is there a mast up in ballymun??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

sixtysix wrote:
    does anyone remember the time when ibb were the darlings of boards. if you had the temerity to say boo about ibb the whole house would fall in on you,
    somebody should write the history of ibb on boards-a fascinating yarn of grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory.

Indeed it was once the same for UTV :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Im off the Bray mast.

You're off more things than the Bray mast if you think the service in Bray is good. It's generally acceptable (2/3 of advertised speeds type of thing), but often poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

I think they are great ! since they removed thier service from my house !!

but with the dawn of MEtro they better improve thier service digiweb run a tight ship !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Off the Ticknock masts, and am for the most part rather pleased with my service. Been with IBB for over two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

2Mb Breeze off the RTE mast. Not a prob and perfect d/l and u/l speeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭PlasmaFish

Having no problems here in Galway. Also two other Freinds with 1Mbit Breeze having no problems too.

The Ripwave is Crap anyways. But have nothing to report about it in Galway.

I don't think IBB have over subscribed here. So hopefully it will stay this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I'm pretty happy with them atm.

womoma, turns out i'm just outside the coverage of ripwave - my arse!

they said that Shanliss road is covered - i've a sign on the side of my house with shanliss road on it i'm that close. if it works in the slipper it should deffo work u my end i'm only 2 mins walk from the slipper for gods sake !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

I have a great connection, bang on the 2mb up and down just in the eveings it slows down a bit. I had a very bad few months with the but noting a solicitors letter didnt sort out lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Vinny- Im not sure where my mast is either Ballymun or Botanic or something. I suspect they might try to convice people to use Breeze because its more ecpensive. But yeah, youre not very far from me at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

PlasmaFish wrote:
    The Ripwave is Crap anyways. But have nothing to report about it in Galway.

I don't think IBB have over subscribed here. So hopefully it will stay this way.

Well I am a galway rip wave user. Its just about decent enough for me to keep, compared to the zero alternatives available to me.

The atrocious pings combined with the highly variable b/w mean that it is rarely useful for surfing. I find it can lose signal frequently and not repair it (i.e. multiple hard resets of the modem required to fix it). I never expected it to be useful for gaming (even www.kingdomofloathing.com can be quite painful to play) but I was hoping that Voice over IP or Voice over IM would be useful, though I suspect it is only an option during 'sunny' periods.

Oddly enough it is actualy decent for downloads, as it can peak. I can get a lot of anime if I am prepared to wait and leave it run. As long as torrents aren't too big I will get them down. The choked upload means that I will be spitting bad packets at lots of peers and gettign snubbed by the vast majority eventually - if I am getting good speed, a dropped connection will fix that very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

With all the bad hype IBB get here It's getting harder to understand why people still post asking if they are any good.. It amazes even more to read people posting they are thinking of getting it even after reading all the posts...............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Right next to the Clonsilla HS, have the 1mb package for two months now. It's been fine so far but has taken a dip in the last week or so. Extremely slow tonight. I'll let it go for now, on account of the standard so far.

I'm not entirely optimistic however, after reading what people had to say on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gavjd

I've been using IBB ripwave in dublin city centre for a year, never really had a problem with it to be honest - light was always green, speeds acceptable. It's been going downhill lately, now it keeps on picking up BTS 110 with crappy download speeds and dropping the connection pretty much continuously. If it doesn't improve soon I'll have to move provider which is a pain as I'm not a heavy user and it's cheap...

g.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

beller b wrote:
    With all the bad hype IBB get here It's getting harder to understand why people still post asking if they are any good.. It amazes even more to read people posting they are thinking of getting it even after reading all the posts...............

There hasn't been that many posts asking if there are satisfied customers - only 2 or so. There has been so much negative stuff - mostly about breeze dublin users, that people want to hear the other side of the story, if there is *no* other side, that is quite informative all by itself. People want to see if it is just me-too forum whinging or a very serious issue before making an informed purchasing decision.

Bear in mind that outside of Dublin your broadband options practically vanish - IBB have recently started doing business in several towns and they are often a viable (possibly only) alternative for people who cannot choose a landline-based service.

For the record, a friend of mine has had outstanding service with IBB Breeze for nearly a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

sharingan wrote:
    For the record, a friend of mine has had outstanding service with IBB Breeze for nearly a year.

I incidently find this extremely difficult to believe. I often get nearly max speed from hosts through INEX, like ftp.esat.net, but I still get **** speeds from a lot of international hosts, particularly anything that goes through Tiscali. I can't imagine that has anything to do with my setup, my mast, or internal IBB backhaul issues. But perhaps we can all do a download test from somewhere non-INEX and compare notes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭pugleon

Have to laugh. I almost felt sorry for the girl on the end of the phone. Since she just works there.

Cancelled the DD from my bank two months back. Tried called IBB a bunch of times to get the dish removed. Always on hold, so gave up. Figured they'd want the dish back eventually so they'd call me.

So she calls, asks when can they have an engineer call out and fix all my "problems" (because a cable installer can fix their crappy transit is it? lol)

Explained I want the dish removed. She says what day. I say saturday, we work during the week theres no one there. She says we dont do Saturdays. I said yes ya do, it was installed on a Saturday. This goes back and forth.

I explain it's their dish not mine, and I don't care what they do but that dish is coming down by means of brick in a few weeks. LOL. That they broke their contract several times over. And it took them two months of no payment to even call me. She says could I not take a day off or something! HAHAHHA

Goes to show ya, bunch of jokers. Don't get this product people its not worth the stress. If you have it and have no other options I feel your pain. But come on, it's clear as day at this stage. IBB, muppets of the century

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Eddie Brennan

wot speeds are people getting on the 2mb breeze? i got it a week ago. 4ms latency and when the dude installed it he showed me a download test and its was 250kb/sec. im happy enough but is that poor or good? i dont know what i should be getting ya know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Try the test on http://www.irishisptest.com/ and let us know what you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Eddie Brennan

im at work now, ill try it when i get home, thanks. wot should i be getting?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

I am VERY happy with IBB
    have a 4Mbit Corp line and is now completely uncontented as we were pu t onto our own frequency, after threatening them with Legal action and also getting Comreg involved :)

Advertisement