Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone HAPPY with IBB??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Well the closer you are getting to 2mb's with download speed the better. Upload can be a bit of a lottery sometimes. It should, in theory, be close to 2mb's too, afaik.

Cue the haters...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

hate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Eddie Brennan

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Well the closer you are getting to 2mb's with download speed the better. Upload can be a bit of a lottery sometimes. It should, in theory, be close to 2mb's too, afaik.

Cue the haters...
    i thought it never would, even on a poerfect line ud never get close to ur max. someone was sayign to me that 1/4 of the cap and u're doing well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Eddie Brennan

well i got 768 down and 812 up

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

I have 2mb breeze with irish broadband. All of the ordering and installing stuff went really easily and I've generally found it to be a very high quality service.

One complaint though is that they seem to have been a bit overzealous about extracting payment for two months inadvance and I haven't been able to get someone on the phone to talk to about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

it was alright for me for first year, then i upgraded to 1meg up and down and it turned into a nightmare for some reason - luckily i was out of my initial 12 month contract and i got rid and got NTL instead which has been amazing compared to IBB - 3meg down hardly ever slows :D

would never recommend IBB to ANYONE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

<snip>My mate having outstanding service with IBB breeze
    Blaster99 wrote:
    I incidently find this extremely difficult to believe. I often get nearly max speed from hosts through INEX, like ftp.esat.net, but I still get **** speeds from a lot of international hosts, particularly anything that goes through Tiscali. I can't imagine that has anything to do with my setup, my mast, or internal IBB backhaul issues. But perhaps we can all do a download test from somewhere non-INEX and compare notes.

His words, not mine, he has never had a problem with them, and gets enough quality time with his service that he can even do distro for certain fansub groups. He is fully aware of the many problems people are getting, but he has never seen any of them. I shake my head at the speeds he gets.

I know he has some odd colocation service in the US that he uses lots with it, but other than that he mostly uses torrents which will distribute any funny backbone or regional issues like you are mentioning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

I was on the Bray mast for about a week before I got them to take their junk away.

After an install that took twice as long as expected I got nowhere near the speeds I would have liked and 30% packet loss at best.

A few calls to support seemed to temporarily sort my issues but it just went nuts again the next day. Their support acted as if they were doing me a favour.

I was never charged for the over subscribed, under managed service. I'm glad I didn't cancel my existing DSL connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Im quite happy indeed, have only been with them for 2 months (on breeze 2meg) but generally download between 130k-180k which is a lot better than my dialup, and I also usually get pings in CS:Source of between 25-40 which is great, except between 6-7 in the afternoon (im presumin due to heavy bandwitdh use by everyone at that time)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

one word sums IBB up....APPALLING

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭tonkpills

I have a alright 2mb breeze.... Pings are very spiky though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Blaster99 wrote:
    You're off more things than the Bray mast if you think the service in Bray is good. It's generally acceptable (2/3 of advertised speeds type of thing), but often poor.

In YOUR experience. In MINE Ive had an excellent service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I am not happy with them. Even though things are ok now they are still not great. Download speeds are good. Pings are still all over the place. Some times ok some times bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Ardent

Well, it's official - after a whole year I've finally made the switched over from IBB Ripwave to Smart. The last 4 months with IBB was beyond a joke (on the Guiness mast), getting dial-up speeds for the majority of the time.

There is no comparison between the services provided by IBB and Smart. Just wish I could have made the move earlier.

Anyone thinking about it, be warned, stay away from IBB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭[--SC(+)PE--]

IBB is the only b-band service i could get and god i never thought id say it but i miss me isdn connection, at least it was consistant

well ardent it looks like it could be a while before i escape the service :(

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭scribs

I live n Castleknock and have Irish broadband works like a charm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Customer Service is not accessible since 5:30pm - what is going on ??????????????????????????????????????????

Rang sales line twice (answered within 3 rings !!) to complain ..

Customer Service is not accessible since 5:30pm - what is going on ??????????????????????????????????????????

Rang sales line twice (answered within 3 rings !!) to complain ..

Now told won't be fixed until Monday ...

Class Customer Service IBB

If you guys are not taking customer service calls you must be reading boards so come on call me back :)!!!!

dont ring 1890564456 call 2063780 which is working :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Shaney Seanie

Ardent wrote:
    he last 4 months with IBB was beyond a joke (on the Guiness mast), getting dial-up speeds for the majority of the time.

i know what your saying about the guinness mast, has been horrendous. however since last monday its raging along. that irish isp test averages at about 1.5Mbp up (is often higher) and 1.8 or 1.9Mbp up, regularly over 2Mbp up. how is that possible on a 2M service? my upload speeds (according to the tester thing) have always been fine but the download speeds before last monday were usually around the 20 -30kpb mark. hopefully it'l keep up - cant get any other broadband here! maybe its all the people leaving IBB... :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I'm on the ballymun mast. perfect, never had a problem. top speeds, 24/7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭ergo

Ripwave user here in Rathmines

currently download speed 250 kbps
    upload 43.6 kbsp

this is the fastest I have ever seen my Ripwave since I found that irishisptest.com site about a month ago

DL speed was 15kbps one day during the week there :(

and just out of curiosity, which mast serves Rathmines (Dunville Ave/ Palmerston Road end)? am moving up the road to Cowper Road next week and wondering which mast I'll be on then, presumably the same one...?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Bang on 2mb up/down for me with breeze. Pings always perfect and no downtime.

Been like that now for 6-7 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

In work we have 2mb breeze off the Bray mast and despite a few hicups at the start of the year has generally been performing verywell. I have bt at home and am paying through the nose for a 2mb line that is shared between three heavy downloaders. Including line rental we are paying €20 more than with IBB. If I didn't fail line of sight I would ditch the phone line and go wih IBB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 box-boy

My IBB Used to be craptastic but recently it has just been amazing, blazing D/L and U/L,
    no cap of course, and pings of 30 in BF2. Freakin amazing. And this is coming from a person who used to get 20kbs D/L speeds...

Advertisement