Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quickest authority to issue a provo licence?

• 22-09-2005 5:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,028 ✭✭✭✭

Well, I've decided I want to learn how to drive a truck, for the craic! Now I recently got a provsional for a motorbike and it took fcukin ages for Dublin City Council to send it out. I was wondering does anyone know how fast the other authorities are at sending them out, especially in Meath/Kildare/Wicklow?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I got a full licence in seven working days from SDCC. Send your application to Clondalkin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'd say Gerry Adams would be able to get you one fairly sharpish. Arf arf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,028 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

seamus wrote:
    I got a full licence in seven working days from SDCC. Send your application to Clondalkin.
    Last time I was in that tax office it belonged to the city council, like Nutgrove, are SDCC now in control there? (I don't think so cos they'd be issuing number plates and all that if they had their own tax offices).

When was this seamus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I've always thought the idea of driving a truck sounded appealing. Do I have to have my car licence first or can I just apply for a provisional truck licence ?

K-TRIC wrote:
    I've always thought the idea of driving a truck sounded appealing. Do I have to have my car licence first or can I just apply for a provisional truck licence ?
    You must have a full B licence to apply for a provisional C licence, then you need to pass the C test and apply for a provisional EC licence and do that test, the only positive is that the wait time is currently only 6-8 weeks for C and EC tests.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

murphaph wrote:
    Well, I've decided I want to learn how to drive a truck, for the craic! Now I recently got a provsional for a motorbike and it took fcukin ages for Dublin City Council to send it out. I was wondering does anyone know how fast the other authorities are at sending them out, especially in Meath/Kildare/Wicklow?
    Wicklow? Do you have a few months to spare? They are currently taking 6-8 weeks to issue tax discs by post. Slowest feckers on earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

murphaph wrote:
    Last time I was in that tax office it belonged to the city council, like Nutgrove, are SDCC now in control there? (I don't think so cos they'd be issuing number plates and all that if they had their own tax offices).

When was this seamus?
    Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'm thinking about getting truck lessons too and for the same reason as you - for the craic! If you start your lessons soon will you post here how you get on.

I have been thinking about my driving recently and TBH it's going to be difficult to pass a test as I have 10 yeares of bad habits to unlearn. I wouldn't pass my car test right now, never mind a truck test!

seamus wrote:
    Wednesday.
    And your licence says SDCC, not DCC? Cool, I'll go there then. It's as handy as town for me.

BrianD3 wrote:
    I'm thinking about getting truck lessons too and for the same reason as you - for the craic! If you start your lessons soon will you post here how you get on.
    Of course, I've booked the theory test but the soonest available date is the middle of October! Yer man said the queue is quickly elongating. Ten hours of tuition is roughly EUR400. I spoke to my old driving instructor who also does buses (but not trucks) and he says it'll take ten hours, plus about 2 pretests to be fit to take the test. I trust him. You're looking at an even EUR500 to get the test passed, but you'll have to add the theory test for the provisional (EUR34), the medical (EUR50 at least!), the provisional (EUR15), the test (EUR63) and the new licence (EUR25)!!! Then do it all again for the artic (with the exception of the theory test and the medical, assuming you start the process of the EClicence within 2 years of starting the process for the C licence).
    BrianD3 wrote:
    I have been thinking about my driving recently and TBH it's going to be difficult to pass a test as I have 10 yeares of bad habits to unlearn. I wouldn't pass my car test right now, never mind a truck test!
    I reckon the biggest aspect to the test is your nerves-if you ar a confident driver you can remove those bad habits with some focus methinks, you can't learn confidence though and the testers always know if you're not feeling confident, which is indicative of a poor and indecisive driver IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I have my full C licence for a year now... I don't think 10hrs is enough, driving a truck is nothing like a car(obviously), it takes a good while to get the hang of it and the fact that u cant get any practise in between lessons makes it harder.. It makes you a much better driver, who r u getting lessons with??? I went with airport as they have by far the best truck u can learn in as its the biggest rigid u can get and the instructor i had was fantastic.... I got my licence for work purpose's, will prob get the EC n D licence next year..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

with regards the test... makes the car test look like a joke, ur tested for nearly an hour but can only make the same amount of mistakes as u can in a car test(bout 20/25mins). Ohhh its loads of fun, drivning one of these around the back roads of finglas is an experience.....

Image00073591

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Irish-trucker

Thats only a baby of a lorry LOL !

Good luck with passing the tests lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

murphaph wrote:
    Dublin City Council run all four offices, including Clondalkin (SDCC), Nutgrove (DL-R) and Ballymun (just in the city)

Advertisement