Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac network issue

Options
  • 22-09-2005 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭

Mac Network issue

I am having a small problem with the quality of Mac network connection. I posted it on the OS/MAC forum, as it appears to be mostly Windows/Unix people over here. But if anyone could throw some light on it...?

Thanks
    Dil

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

dil999 wrote:
    Mac Network issue

I am having a small problem with the quality of Mac network connection. I posted it on the OS/MAC forum, as it appears to be mostly Windows/Unix people over here. But if anyone could throw some light on it...?

Thanks
    Dil

Have you updated your version of Tiger? It could be related to that - I think Tiger was released long before it was ready :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

Yes Its fully up to date. Its a lovely operating system, but it doesn't let you under the bonnet like windows

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Eh?? Shouldn't the terminal give you a unix-style command prompt? (I'm not a Mac person, but I've used the terminal in some versions of OSX) If you learn how to use that, you should be able to do anything you need with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

Yes it does. I found it after posting. I am new to Macs as well. I know where to go for everything Windows, I speak reasonably fluent DOS, a bit like Latin, pretty much dead but it give you a good basis

Now I need to go and learn some unix (I did in college, but that was a loonnngg time ago.) Still cant figure out my problem though. Its happening every 10 seconds and corresponds to a sending of packets. Its seems like its something in my TCP/IP configuration thats sending an Acknowledge.

Dil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

To eliminate the network stack as the source of the issue, open a terminal and enter:

ping -f -c1000 -s65535 <some address>

This will send 64k packets as fast as your mac can spit them out. It'll probably load your network, so don't be doing anything important at the time. You can run monitor the data rate of the network interface while this is happening.

How are you copying the files? An ftp client or using some sort of shell integrated ftp thing like IE does?

Are you using any sort of packet signing or encryption?

• Advertisement
Advertisement