Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom League - Genesis III

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    The Eircom League needs to attract fans yes. But its hard when people have their preconceived notions of how it will be terrible, how do you change their minds? They're always going to retort with "its crap", well excuse me for asking, but if you've never been how would you know?

I'd have much more respect for people who write it off if they'd actually tried a game or two and experienced the atmosphere and watched the footballing displays. And then if they don't like it fine, at least they made the effort and have a leg they can stand on in a constructive discussion. They'd at least have an real opinion to base their points on, rather than preconceived notions that they got into their heads. Sure, didn't Hitler have this preconceived notion that all Jews were evil? :)

As I said on another thread, its akin to a virgin saying they don't like having sex!
    I never said anything about the quality of the Eircom League, but I suppose it is fair to see that the perception among the non believers is that its crap football, played in crap stadiums, in front of small crowds. If thats not true then the Eircom League and everyone associated with it have done a poor job in marketing it. I dont go because its never been sold to me, and there are clearly thousands like me. A few fans saying "its great, I swear" isnt going to persuade thousands of extra people to support it. There's probably very many contributors to this board who havent even opened this thread because its Eircom League related!

I believe something radical would be needed to attract thousands more fans. But as has been said "radical" would be resisted by most. Although Shels moving to Fingal would certainly mean I and may more from the area would chance a game or two to see what its like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

A few fans saying "its great, I swear" isnt going to persuade thousands of extra people to support it.

But unfortunately on the other end of the scale, when someone says "Ah thats bollox" everyone takes it for granted and starts the dissing and automatically will never set foot in a ground. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

If thats not true then the Eircom League and everyone associated with it have done a poor job in marketing it.

True.

I dont go because its never been sold to me, and there are clearly thousands like me. A few fans saying "its great, I swear" isnt going to persuade thousands of extra people to support it.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. Being realistic, no eL fan reckons he can make thousands go, but I know that at work, Ive started 2 people going, who in turn have got another 3-4 people going to Cork City matches on a regular basis. And guess what, they now really enjoy something they turned their noses up at 12 months ago!?!

And this is how Id sell it
    For me, what makes football worth watching is quite simple - you cannot replace the feeling of seeing your team win in front of you, after seeing the effort of all the players. Meeting them after the game and congratulating them is a nice feeling. The tension inside the ground in a close top of the table clash, the camaraderie that this brings about with your fellow fans. The feeling of release when the ref blows his final whistle, the relief, the euphoria. Even in the smaller games, the feeling is the same. Even the crushing lows one feels after losing are part and parcel of it all.
    There's probably very many contributors to this board who havent even opened this thread because its Eircom League related!

:rolleyes: Thats just stupid.

I believe something radical would be needed to attract thousands more fans. But as has been said "radical" would be resisted by most.

See your first paragraph, and therein lies the answer, a bit of marketing, nuch like the GAA do with their "ask not......" campaign etc. Its worked to a certain degree in Cork, and CCFC are becoming ever more popular. Its getting to the stage where there are more kids wearing City shirts now, than Man U and Celtic etc etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Unfortunatly, the current clubs, and current set-up is tarnashied in the minds of most Irish people, for the reasons of the dreadfull standards that exited for years. Despite the inprovements in quality on the pitch, it would be very difficult for the current teams and set-up to shake off the tarnished reputation..which is why a remarkted regional league would be a fresh slate and would generate far more hype.

I also doubt there's more kids wearing Cork City jerseys in Cork than kids wearing UTD or Celtic jerseys, but cork is the most sucsesfull, best supported, best organised, and best performing team in the league. Luckily none of this would change in a regional set-up, and all that hard-work etc. would be preserved.

Regionalisation is mainly to make Dublin set-up more compact, and incorporating the entire city, and expanding the coverage of rural teams.

Advertisement