Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullying on Boards.ie?

Options
  • 22-09-2005 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering what's the general consensus on the subject of bullying on this website. Do you find it common on the site? Do you feel yourself subjected to bullying from other users? Are you getting to the stage where you feel uncomfortable posting due to the predictable attitudes and responses you will get from certain posters?

For example I'm constantly harrassed and have the piss taken out of me on the UCD by certain individuals (I have raised this with the mods). It's been happening for up to 6 months now. Users have been temporarily banned, one has been a constant repeat offender, I've been banned myself for reacting inappropriately on one occasion but sadly it keeps going on and on and I'm absolutely sick to death of it and sometimes I consider quitting posting on this site. I do not troll, don't have a bad attitude and I do explain my opinions but I am an opinionated person, stand for what I believe in and some people use this to make me out as a scapegoat. It appears to me that some users do whatever they can to push the limits without breaking the rules.

I know there is only a certain amount the mods can do but I'm wondering about whether you think users should be banned for general inappropriate attitudes to certain posters which are to the detriment of the poster and the forum while not ''officially'' breaking the rules? Would a complete no tolerance no position be best to clampdown on this behaviour?

Feedback would be gracefully appreciated.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

There are certain "cliques" within boards.
    Nothing can be done about it really, so either get yourself into one of these, or tow the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Yeah, what he said.

Or else take the fuppers on, head on. No prisoners. It's your boards too.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Unlike in real life, if you click the ignore button, you have only yourself to blame when you read what they post :)

If you have a serious gripe about systematic bullying, log a help desk ticket with the Smods and we'll investigate for you (although if you do it now, it'd be tough with the search down).

I'm not entirely sure what you could class as bullying though. Abusiveness directed towards you will earn them a ban. Abusive PMs will earn them a ban. Consistently disagreeing with your opinions won't :)

Some people are just assholes.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

unfortunately the world is made up of pussy, assholes and dicks. You have to decide which you are. Personally, I'm a Dick. :)

"DeVore... **** yeah!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Pussies don't like dicks, because pussies get ****ed by dicks. But dicks also **** assholes: assholes that just want to **** on everything. Pussies may think they can deal with assholes their way. But the only thing that can **** an asshole is a dick, with some balls. The problem with dicks is: they **** too much or **** when it isn't appropriate - and it takes a pussy to show them that. But sometimes, pussies can be so full of **** that they become assholes themselves... because pussies are an inch and half away from ass holes. I don't know much about this crazy, crazy world, but I do know this: If you don't let us **** this asshole, we're going to have our dicks and pussies all covered in ****!

has to be one of the best speeches of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah, I've noticed, but what can you do, its only a boards at the end of the day....there are more important events occuring outside its boundaries....namely the real world ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

What...

There's a world beyond the screen...

Bollix I wasted my money on a bloody graphics card when I could have just gone out. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Personally, I blame the people of Dublin 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Ignore them.

Or become an admin and ban them.

Or get them to annoy an admin, and we'll ban them for you.

I could go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Cremo wrote:
    has to be one of the best speeches of all time.
    Always try quote with one of the lads when pissed and we can never remeber it - still giggle at it.

"fuk yeah" "show me you loyalty:p" "derk derka?" "Hans Bwicks"

Love it!
    On topc use the ignore button and carry on regardless.
    Nukem

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

in a proper feedback post to zane, take the abusers posts with a pinch of salt, they may think that they will be ok, but if you look beyond computer screen you'll find that these people a dimwits that have no respect for fellow people, let me tell you, its easy for them to type the words and press post, but if they were in the real world and wanted to say it, they'd think twice, so dont worry about it, we will help ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Mind you I have encountered some people who assume an air of superiority because of their post count

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Errr you are a bald headed Nordie thou!!!

I would report the head molesting to the appropriate authorities thou. Always thought there was something dodgy about that Regi chap !!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

DeVore wrote:
    DURKA DURKA DURKA DURKA DURKA DURKA DURKA DURKA DURKA DURKA DURKA DURKA DURKA!

\:eek:/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I've been a bald headed Nordie for most of the time I've known Regi, and not once has he molested my head. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

personally zane iv read for messages for a few months now and rarley post back to them (although i did last night on the ucd forum cos i was just stretched to breaking point). Now i only read what you say on the ucd forum generally but i wouldnt call that opinionated...its just moaning constantly about stufff. everything. i cant remeber the last time you posted about something positive.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

why lower yourself to their level zane?
    personally I would ignore, and I certainly wouldn't let it bother me!
    if you work on killing your sensitive side now, in a few years it will be totally gone!! ;)

mercie
    you love having your baldie head molested, don't lie!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

padser wrote:
    Bullying Words...
    BULLY!!! EVERYONE GET HIM!!!!11""!

Sweet wrote:
    Mind you I have encountered some people who assume an air of superiority because of their post count

Quiet you, inferior fool

:p

padser wrote:
    personally zane iv read for messages for a few months now and rarley post back to them (although i did last night on the ucd forum cos i was just stretched to breaking point). Now i only read what you say on the ucd forum generally but i wouldnt call that opinionated...its just moaning constantly about stufff. everything. i cant remeber the last time you posted about something positive.

That's like a slap in the face....in his own turf.

I bet it stings :D

Quiet you, inferior fool

No0b

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Beruthiel wrote:
    No0b
    /me waits for wwman to arrive and inform us how noobish we all really are...

<edit>
    Speaking of wwman, he used to order me to make virtual coffee for him. I felt so violated in those times. *sob*the pain*sob*
    </edit>

[wwm]go make me some coffee biatch[/wwm]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Stop that moping and go make the smods some coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

don't have a bad attitude

You have a terribly negative attitude. Your posts usually start with a prediction that some event or other will be crap. You complain constantly that UCD is a horrible place and that it is the fault of those having a good time that you are having a bad one.

Some of us are sick of this.

Advertisement