Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullying on Boards.ie?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

WWMan used to beat me up and steal my lunch money. :'(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

padser wrote:
    personally zane iv read for messages for a few months now and rarley post back to them (although i did last night on the ucd forum cos i was just stretched to breaking point). Now i only read what you say on the ucd forum generally but i wouldnt call that opinionated...its just moaning constantly about stufff. everything. i cant remeber the last time you posted about something positive.

If you read my posts in the forum over time you'll see that if there is anybody who takes the mick out of themselves for moaning it's yours truly. Obviously a bit of persoanlity goes amiss with you then. I find alot of things about the college to be very imperfect and if these type of things arise in a topic I'll mention my feelings towards it. However if you care to read my posts I don't moan often and IMO I contribute alot to the forum.
    You have a terribly negative attitude. Your posts usually start with a prediction that some event or other will be crap. You complain constantly that UCD is a horrible place and that it is the fault of those having a good time that you are having a bad one.

Some of us are sick of this.

Excuse moi? I do not have a negative attitude.

My posts start with a prediction that an event will be crap? Ok for example I said something like ''I don't think Freshers week will be great this year because last years wasn't good (and it wasn't).'' That's an opinion backed up.

I complain that UCD is a horrible place. Why? Because it is IMO and because I have this opinion on this which some people disagree with I get shot down by them because they don't want to hear about it. They are the ones with the problem if they can listen and reason with someone who has a differing opinon. I have always acknowledged that people will like the place, listen to what other people say but I get constantly pissed off that they don't do likewise. That is what annoys me more than anything.

''Some of us are sick of this.'' Who? I'm well liked on the forum apart from a few certain individuals which now includes you.

Going by the tone of both of you guys posts you effectively hint that I deserve some of the sh!t what I get on that forum. That I find sad and pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I only see one poster giving you consistant grief. I dont think I give you any but you've started a feedback thread about how you're a victum of bullying. You're not.
    A few ppl think you give out too much, some post a line or two about it, one poster consistantly badgers you. Im sad to see Ive made your list.

I dont think Ive complained about your rants on the UCD board. If you met me in person you'd know Im only happy when complaining. But I thought you were taking your "its everyone elses fault" rant too far and so Im compelled (prob due to hangover) to stick my nose in where it doesnt belong:
    You are in controll of almost everything in your life. I believe that with all my heart. And I think your posts seem to be blaming other ppl and a little self rightous. Nobody diserves bullying or abuse, but you are giving as much as you are getting, hence your previous ban

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

If you like, you can subscribe to my newsletter.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

it's friday goddamnit
    group hug!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Beruthiel wrote:
    it's friday goddamnit
    group hug!!!

Good god, imagine if this thread has been created AFTER the weekend....

oooooooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

stuff

Jesus, after reading that, you couldn't fecking blame them now could you.

The words up and lighten spring to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

no one here to hug me,

schnief schnief.
    :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Gilgamesh wrote:
    no one here to hug me,

schnief schnief.
    :(

you're too big, nasty and ugly....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Zane's a mate of mine, and a top bloke in my book.

If he has a negative attitude, so do I. I've b*tched and moaned about UCD CONSTANTLY both on boards and in the non-interweb world to anyone who'll listen (unlike Zane, who has only really complained online, and then with just cause as far as I can make out).

I've never had the bullying problem he's had, although certain posters have randomly had a go for no reason whatsoever (2 posters in particular) but I just laugh it off. What do I care if these dumbasses wanna take a pop at me? The vast majority of the boardsies are sound, and I'd include Kaptain Redeye in that category.

There will always be flamers. Just ignore em, and let em burn themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

Beruthiel wrote:
    you're too big, nasty and ugly....

at least I can go back to my cathedral tower soon :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm wondering what's the general consensus on the subject of bullying on this website. Do you find it common on the site? Do you feel yourself subjected to bullying from other users? Are you getting to the stage where you feel uncomfortable posting due to the predictable attitudes and responses you will get from certain posters?

For example I'm constantly harrassed and have the piss taken out of me on the UCD by certain individuals (I have raised this with the mods). It's been happening for up to 6 months now. Users have been temporarily banned, one has been a constant repeat offender, I've been banned myself for reacting inappropriately on one occasion but sadly it keeps going on and on and I'm absolutely sick to death of it and sometimes I consider quitting posting on this site. I do not troll, don't have a bad attitude and I do explain my opinions but I am an opinionated person, stand for what I believe in and some people use this to make me out as a scapegoat. It appears to me that some users do whatever they can to push the limits without breaking the rules.

I know there is only a certain amount the mods can do but I'm wondering about whether you think users should be banned for general inappropriate attitudes to certain posters which are to the detriment of the poster and the forum while not ''officially'' breaking the rules? Would a complete no tolerance no position be best to clampdown on this behaviour?

Feedback would be gracefully appreciated.

hmmm,why do you care...it's just randomers on the net.
    little bit of apathy goes a long way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

I read the ucd forum quite a bit and consider zane to be a pretty sound lad. DOnt think he has a negative attitude at all but that might just be me.

I have never experienced the post count prejudice either (cue taunts about my post count) other boardsies have always been helpful when I needed advice. I have been reading alot longer than I have been posting and it is true that there are little cliques of members but they usually arent too bad. Sarchastic posts are rampant on boards but I find them hilarious, so all in all i think boards is a pretty decent place to express your opinions over the net :)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

hmmm,why do you care...it's just randomers on the net.
    little bit of apathy goes a long way.
    I concur.

Welcome to the big bad Internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Well I've often seen one "senior" mod :rolleyes: patrolling these boards bullying people and basicly on a massive "power" trip. :rolleyes:

It's never happend to me, but it is kind of frustrating to see...but then I think, "what a muppet", plus I don't think he/she has a life outside of boards.ie :p

I think that's why he/she does it actually....

Other than that, no I've never noticed any bullying on the boards...and I don't think you should be too sensitive on a internet forum. :)

DubGuy wrote:
    Mysterious stuff...
    ooooohh intriguing... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Not the mysterious troll mod with no life that will doom us all!?!?!?surely not!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

DubGuy wrote:
    Other than that, no I've never noticed any bullying on the boards...and I don't think you should be too sensitive on a internet forum. :)

Personally I think it's quite darwinian. You either develop the thick skin needed to survive on internet forums or get eaten/killed/destroyed/banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

With the "Mysterious Mod" it's nothing personal...I just think it's kind of pathetic...but whatever...I understand your reaction, as i'm sure that is something thrown around a lot by people with personnel vendetas, which I don't have.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Zane, I have read all the reports you sent me and often acted on them, the same goes for PM's. However you seem to be unhappy with how i handle it because I haven't always done exactly what you wanted me to do.

I will continue to deal with anything i consider to be personal abuse but I won't punish people for commenting on the content of your posts. As far as I'm concerned its fair game.

• Advertisement

As far as I'm concerned its fair game.
    More than just fair game, it would be a bit pointless having a threaded model of discussion, if you werent allowed to comment on the posts beforehand. Please don't take yourself too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I'm wondering what's the general consensus on the subject of bullying on this website. Do you find it common on the site? Do you feel yourself subjected to bullying from other users? Are you getting to the stage where you feel uncomfortable posting due to the predictable attitudes and responses you will get from certain posters?

For example I'm constantly harrassed and have the piss taken out of me on the UCD by certain individuals (I have raised this with the mods). It's been happening for up to 6 months now. Users have been temporarily banned, one has been a constant repeat offender, I've been banned myself for reacting inappropriately on one occasion but sadly it keeps going on and on and I'm absolutely sick to death of it and sometimes I consider quitting posting on this site. I do not troll, don't have a bad attitude and I do explain my opinions but I am an opinionated person, stand for what I believe in and some people use this to make me out as a scapegoat. It appears to me that some users do whatever they can to push the limits without breaking the rules.

I know there is only a certain amount the mods can do but I'm wondering about whether you think users should be banned for general inappropriate attitudes to certain posters which are to the detriment of the poster and the forum while not ''officially'' breaking the rules? Would a complete no tolerance no position be best to clampdown on this behaviour?

Feedback would be gracefully appreciated.

actually, ive noticed that if you dont like what someone posts, you have a pop at them, and rather than discussing their points, or the reasons behind their opinions, you tend to tell them they are just wrong.

personally, i find it annoying that people come on here and complain about other people when they cant seem to organise their own house.

perhaps i will post up on the feedback forum and complain that i dont get my own way, and that other people have different opinions than me....
    It appears to me that some users do whatever they can to push the limits without breaking the rules.

so you are suggesting that we ban people that feel push a limit you have set for boards.ie?
    but surely if we do that, then we will get a plethora of posts on the feedback forum complaining about people getting banned for no reason. and my gosh, we certainly couldnt have that.

but lets read between the lines here. you are actually posting that you dont like certain people, and you dont like how they post. what is it you want to happen? a stern telling off for annoying you?

it also helps if you have an issue to put up links and evidence about whatever you are moaning about. we dont just hang people here on a users say-so. unfortunately, we still require some proof.
    otherwise, youd have gone long ago at my request.

Baz, i got a coffee machine, so im afraid you were made redundent. sorry. although, if you do feel like refilling the water in it, it is currently empty...

we dont just hang people here on a users say-so. unfortunately, we still require some proof.
    otherwise, youd have gone long ago at my request.

Zane gets pwnd!
    Baz, i got a coffee machine, so im afraid you were made redundent. sorry. although, if you do feel like refilling the water in it, it is currently empty...

Ah feck, so do I. See admins, he's doing it again, look, look at him!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

i R being initiating a bulling sequence on j0o... ph34r

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

a thread about bulling on the internet?

oh lord.

Advertisement