Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drivers who speed up when being overtaken

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They are trying this on the main Limerick to Cork road. For about a 6 or 7 mile stretch between Mallow and Cork they have reduced one side of the road to a narrow lane which allows a dual lane (overtaking lane) on the other side. In the centre of the road then where you used to have the double white line divide they have erected a wire fence divide so that traffic on either side cannot cross over, similar to the new centre reservation fences on a dual carriage way. The thing is that it meant they didn't have to alter the width of the road on either side, it was just a matter of utilising the width of the road that they already had. Cannot remember if the hard shoulder remains in this stretch.

Have used this a couple of times and find it very good and alot safer than the usual risk involved in overtaking as it allows you to overtake heavy or slow vehicles without facing directly into oncoming traffic. The one thing that bothered me though is that that wire fence may be dangerous for motorbikes if one gets tangled in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

AMurphy wrote:
    that's the exception. you don't fine rows of broken down traffic on every wide stretcs, so it sits wasted and idle while frustration goes to boiling point a few feet away.
    Yeah, I know - it's not in use all the time, but when it is, it is very much needed. Like a safety net isn't used all the time by trapeze artists but when they do need to use it they're very glad it's there!

I have driven on some roads in Ireland alright that have the three lanes which alternate the direction of the centre lane at different sections. As Unkel says most of them have the two lanes going in the uphill direction so one lane can be designated as a climbing lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

bazz26 wrote:
    Have used this a couple of times and find it very good and alot safer than the usual risk involved in overtaking as it allows you to overtake heavy or slow vehicles without facing directly into oncoming traffic. The one thing that bothered me though is that that wire fence may be dangerous for motorbikes if one gets tangled in it.

A rigid barrier may be less of a killer and stronger, ie prevent eh odd runaway artic crossing te road also.
    anyway, how far is the edge of the lane from the wire?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

unkel wrote:
    The solution is nigh! For national roads that will not be upgraded to motorway standard, the solution is based on the Swedish model, i.e. two lanes one way, one lane the opposite way and changing every couple of kilometers. This system is used succesfully in many other countries, France springs to mind. Over here it is used in some places but typically only in steep climbs (two lanes up, one lane down)

It will fit onto a standard wide national road and will leave enough space for the hard shoulder. As AMurphy said not much more required than a paint job

Iirc, this is being implemented as part of the NDP as is
    The N3 upgrade was planned this way and would be finished now if it weren't for a change of heart towards a motorway. Now it won't see any improvement for another few years!
    One thing springs to mind about the climbing/overtaking lane system here is the fact that on the one North of Drogheda (South of the M1 Dunleer By-pass) [prior to the full M1] that it had proven quite dangerous for those who wanted to turn right off the overtaking lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Ann Elk

Jus referring to the OP's point, at the risk of being controversial, I have to disagree with the general tone of the thread, but before I do here's a little info about how I view driving, so you have a base from which to assess my opinion.

I see myself as a courteous and safe driver,
    When driving below the speed limit, I will always try to pull over where necessary and allow vehicles to pass.

When on-coming traffic decides to indulge in the lunatic act of overtaking despite the fact that they are on a collisioncourse with me, I don't see the point in aggrevating the situation by beeping and flashing my heads, I'll pull over where safe, and let them pass (obviously in certain instances, the former action needs to be taken - but it is a last resort)

I always try to drive as close to the speed limit as safety allows, and whilst I acknowledge the fact that people should be allowed drive at any speed (belwo the speed limit obviously) that allows them to feel safe, I believe that this should be qualified by an obligation to pull in where practicable, and let those, who may be in more of a hurry, pass on.

I will always acknowledge courtesy with a flick of my hazards,

I will try to let people out of junctions if possible, though I try to take into account the fact that people behind me may be in a hurry.

Bearing this in mind, I must recall a story. Last week my Fiancee and I were travelling off on a little adventure, as we needed to take a significant amount of materials with us, we took both her car and my own. She knew the way to our destination whereas, whilst I had a general idea, the location of turn-offs etc were not so clear to me. So my Fiancee led the way, and i followed.

As mentioned, I always try to drive as close to the speed limit as possible, and my Fiancee was doing the same. Now, I don't like driving too close to the car in front for a number of (in my opinion) commonsense reasons, and prefer to stick to the rules of the road 1 car length for every 10 miles an hour (approx - my figures may be wrong, but you get the idea).

It really started to piss me off then, when cars decided it would be fun to break the speed limit and pull in between myself and my Fiancee. Obviously this made me apprehensive as I dindn't want to get lost, and I must admit that on one occasion at least, I did find myself pressing the pedal in order to close the gap.

My point is this, if i'm driving at the speed limit, and there is no hard shoulder, why should I be forced into either a) getting lost or, b) putting my life in danger by driving too close to the car in front, just because someone else wants to break the law and act recklessly by speeding?

Surely, I wouldn't be expected to go out to Darndale in the dead of night and ensure that the streets are free of debris and in the optimum contition for facilitating joyriding? I know its an analogous argument, but the principal is the same - putting my life at risk/inconvenince in order to facilitate someone else breaking the law?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Ann Elk wrote:
    My point is this, if i'm driving at the speed limit, and there is no hard shoulder, why should I be forced into either a) getting lost or, b) putting my life in danger by driving too close to the car in front, just because someone else wants to break the law and act recklessly by speeding?
    A map might come in handy next time :) TBH it is difficult to follow another vehicle somewhere if they know the way and you don't. You can get separated at traffic lights, junctions and by cars leapfrogging into the gap between ye. The solution to this is not to drive closer to the lead car but plan your journey out beforehand so that both of ye know the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Ann Elk

BrianD3 wrote:
    A map might come in handy next time :) TBH it is difficult to follow another vehicle somewhere if they know the way and you don't. You can get separated at traffic lights, junctions and by cars leapfrogging into the gap between ye. The solution to this is not to drive closer to the lead car but plan your journey out beforehand so that both of ye know the way.

Agreed, and in future it is exactly what will happen - despite the distinct ****tyness of the Irish road marking system. But this still doesn't address my issue - why should I have to do this when driving at the speed limit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

I know where your coming from and feel your pain. Nothing annoys me more (not strictly true!) than someone on a motor way or overtaking pulling into the buffer zone that I have between me and the car in front. Its there for a reason its not a gap you can slot into so on that point I agree.

That said and I'm not arguing with you on this one I'm just looking at it from a different angle. If someone wants to break the law thats fine by me, hopefully they get caught but its not up to me to police the roads so I'm not going to try and stop them. Further onto this, if I was in your situation I would much rather arrive there safe and sound with my girl rather than piss some idiot off thats over taking me and risk taking myself, him and possibly my girl out of it as well. He wants to kill himself thats fine by me just dont take me with you.

Advertisement