Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Engineering Newbies Salary

• 22-09-2005 8:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭

Hi guys, im gona be graduating at the end of this summer with a degree(hons) in civil eng, can ye give me a guideline to what kinda money i would be getting when i leave college?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

any where from €24-€27k going on last years salaries for a average starting job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

Look more towards the high end of that , a design office should be paying you 26-28 K starting , a site job should pay more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Brianb8802

That wouldnt be to bad at all, lucking forward to getting a bit of cash in my pocket. :cool: :cool:
    kearnsr wrote:
    any where from €24-€27k going on last years salaries for a average starting job

Id be going from nothing in my pocket to >€500 gross. I likes the sounds of that!!!!

Not to be nosey guys but since i dont know ye thaught it be alright to ask ye couple of Q's. Ye workin on site or office, how long out of college and how much ye earn. Im just curious to what kinda money i would be expecting after a few years in the buissness.

Thanks brianb8802

your askin at the right time of the year!

IEI salary survey published yesterday.

Ahem, and I quote.....

Males, with less than one years’ experience, are typically ordinary members, and earn around €29,000, this quickly moves up to €33,488 for their second year. For those males with 3 to 5 years experience, there is a jump in income to €40,000 for Ordinary and Associate members. But Chartered Engineers with 3-5 years experience earn around €50,000. With 6 to 10 years experience, the average salary for Ordinary members is now €50,000, but Chartered Engineers earn around €54,000 while Associate Members with the same amount of experience earn slightly less, at €45,000. With 11 to 15 years experience, Chartered Engineers still earn more with an average annual salary of €69,152, about €4,000 more per year than Ordinary members. Technicians earn slightly more than Associate members in this bracket. Things even out somewhat between Chartered and Ordinary members working between 16 and 20 years with earnings around €75,000. But Chartered Engineers and Fellows take over as the top earners once we get into the 21 years plus experience bracket. There is little change for those with over 30 years’ experience.

I'd have 5 years done , not chartered yet but going for it this year. And im more than 10k short of 50,000 so it seems im working for the wrong company!!!!

There definately more money in site work, but in balance during the summer you'll work while theres light in the sky and during winter work under floodlights is becoming more common so you'll earn it!!!
    Office work is more 9 to 5. Sadly the english companies who have come into the Irish market have a habit of expecting their workers to put in lots of overtime and not pay them for it. Its something you should ask when negociating your pay (after you've been offered the job obviously!)

Dundhoone wrote:

Ya i actually got that email yesterday aswell, was gona post up here but you got in a head of me!!

Thanks

• Advertisement

Dundhoone wrote:

Ya i actually got that email yesterday aswell, was gona post up here but you got in a head of me!!

Thanks

Dundhoone wrote:
    I'd have 5 years done , not chartered yet but going for it this year. And im more than 10k short of 50,000 so it seems im working for the wrong company!!!!

Just saw you said you were going for your charter this year, what you have to do to get this, whats the difference between ordinary eng and charter eng, and do you know what the other ones mean aswell - The technician, The fellow, the associate??

I'm guessin id be an ordinary engineer after comming out of college :confused::confused:

you can apply for chartership when you have 4 years experience minimum. After that , when you get really old they might make you a Fellow if you have made enough contacts!

The technician being a technician or draughtsperson, which wouldnt have a degree but would have a cert or diploma in engineering. Not entirely sure about the associate grade - possibly for if you have a related degree but not a main stream engineering qualification.

Presuming your a student member if you got that mail, you 'll be transferred to ordinary member a few months after you graduate, they have to have a meeting and make sure you are really qualified and not just pretending to be!

Ah cool thanks for that.

Do you have to do a test of your engineering ability to become chartered, or does it just go on your past projects and what your past employers say about you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

Word of advice Brian in your first couple of years try and get a bit of experience on site and in the office. The site work will always stand to you if you decide to go consultancy route. Site work definitely pays at a higher level, however there are obvious reasons for this when you go to site, longer hours some contractors work 7am -7pm or more during the summer month and thats 5.5 days a week.

The Chartership procedure consists of a essay of 4000 words on your career to that point which must be vouched by chartered engineers youve worked with. Also two essays on subjects relating to the profession ie ethics, project management the environment etc. The final part is an interview by a panel of three engineers familiar with your type of work and also have reviewed your essay.

• Advertisement

I'd agree with that.

Hard to get a site job after a few years if you have no experience on site.
    Consultancies have no problem taking lads who have worked on site.

Get a couple of years on site to start and then go for a desk job if you get sick of the weather!

Advertisement