Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting INTO books

Options
  • 22-09-2005 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭

I don't know what it is about me but I have a hard time getting into books. I used to be very good at entering a different world, but now I can't tolerate fictional stories. It doesn't help that reading makes me bloody tired, and about ten pages into it I can't concentrate any more. Have I become such a lifeless cynic?

I'd like to see what other people see in books, as a method of imagination and escape, but when I read Hemmingway I find that by the end of the sentence (which takes up the page) I don't even know what the beginning of the sentence is about; I just get disillusioned with it. I feel like I'm completely missing out on something that other people are getting, and god damnit I want in!

Damn me and taking an extended break from reading ages 12-17...

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I think the key to getting "into" a book is to give a bit of commitment at the start. If you can attack a book in the right frame of mind (i.e. not tired, stressed etc.) then you'll have a better chance of getting involved.

That said, unless the story grips you there's simply no point. Plenty of novels are renowned for the quality of prose or other attriblutes but unless you have a simple interest in what is going to happen next then its always going to be an uphill struggle. (Yeah I'm talking about YOU, Catcher in the Rye ;)).

I used to insist on finishing every book I started - now if I'm still struggling half-way through I may not bother.
    Life is too short and there are too many other books worthy of our limited time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭supersheep

I've actually found the same thing - the internet has rotted my brain! But I find that persevering really helps - once I get in about ten or twenty pages, I can keep going, it's those first few pages that are the hardest. And Hemingway is an utter b*tch to read...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

(Yeah I'm talking about YOU, Catcher in the Rye ;)).

Sir that book's about 100 pages long, it's a struggle NOT to finish the bugger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

I think that maybe there is only a certain amount of information that I can read in one day. I have to read so much in college and then I'd spend a good bit of other time reading the paper/websites that when it comes to getting home at night the last thing I want to do is read a book, which is annoying, because I do like reading.

I definitely agree with whoever said that if you get past the first 10 pages it's easier to the next 10 will be easier and so on.

There's an online reading speed test hear: http://www.readingsoft.com/
    There they say that the average speed is about 250wpm, but some people, a minority of readers, are what they call "visual readers" and are able to read about 1000wpm. Maybe if we all practice and become like them reading will be easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭supersheep

I don't think so - just did that test, got 786 wpm with 100% comprehension - that's well over 1000 wpm in print, and yet I still have trouble reading books from time to time. That sort of reading is more skimming than anything else, I think, not what you want to read a book with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Karlusss wrote:
    Sir that book's about 100 pages long, it's a struggle NOT to finish the bugger.
    The fact it's a quick read is the only reason it got finished.
    That and I couldn't bitch about it having only read half. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

grasshopa wrote:
    I don't know what it is about me but I have a hard time getting into books. I used to be very good at entering a different world, but now I can't tolerate fictional stories. It doesn't help that reading makes me bloody tired, and about ten pages into it I can't concentrate any more. Have I become such a lifeless cynic?

I'd like to see what other people see in books, as a method of imagination and escape, but when I read Hemmingway I find that by the end of the sentence (which takes up the page) I don't even know what the beginning of the sentence is about; I just get disillusioned with it. I feel like I'm completely missing out on something that other people are getting, and god damnit I want in!

Damn me and taking an extended break from reading ages 12-17...

Try reading a few short, light books first to try and wean yourself back into reading. Don't read if you're not in the humour for it either cos you won't be doing yourself any favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Try reading The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy. Its long but can be read in stages and its easily accessible.

Plus, its a howl.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Start out with something suspenseful like a Stephen King or Tom Clancy novel. Something with a plot that keeps you engrossed, rather than stuff that is based around 'pretty' writing. While they are much longer, you generally find yourself wanting to keep going

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Advertisement