Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engagement off - what to do with ring?

Options
  • 22-09-2005 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Well the girl I proposed to about 3 months ago has dumped me and we're officially finished. She is giving the ring back to me but I'm not sure what to do with it, it cost €1200, I still have all the receipts and documentation from the shop. Would they take it back no? Any help appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not really a PI if we're dealing with returning a ring.

Moved to consumer issues.

Sorry to hear it's off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

Why dont you advertise it here if the shop dont take it back?

Post a picture and give us a look. You wont get the money you paid but you wont be stuck with it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I think most jewlers will take back an engagement ring, it does happen all the time. Go in or give them a ring (call that is).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Sell it and go on the piss. Round the night off with a hooker. Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

A bit late now, but I think the traditional thing is to fling it into the fire with a grand gesture and leave in tears (from which she can hastily fish it out when you're gone ;)

More seriously, why not ask the jeweller where you bought it? Ring 'em up. They must have this all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Definitely your best option is to go back to your original jeweller. The open market price is probably less than half what you paid for it (to allow for dealer mark-ups), so be prepared to lose half your cash if you have to sell it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

I'm trying to sell my brothers engagement ring and wedding rings for him (he's abroad and doesn't want to deal with it). Jewellers wouldn't take them back and the best offer I've got from other jewellers is 1/3 of the price. They haven't even been worn :-( I'm going to try auctioning them but I can tell you now, be prepared to make a massive loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I guess it depends on the jeweler then. When my cousin's engagement broke off, the jeweler took back the ring and refunded him in full. It was a two and half grand ring too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pyffer

Same thing happened me a few years ago. I took diamonds out of ring and made into pair of earings and fob. Threw ring itself away. Gave earings and fob to new next girlfriend. Shops don't generally take ring back and pawn brokers will screw you !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

pyffer wrote:
    Gave earings and fob to new next girlfriend.
    Is she aware of their provenance?

• Advertisement
Advertisement