Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insects in our house

Options
  • 22-09-2005 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

We moved into a house on the 1st of September and have been getting eaten alive with fleas in the furniture etc. Nothing like waking up in the morning with fresh red bites on your ankles. Its going to be near impossible to get rid of these fleas so we told the landlord we are moving out.

He said that as we didn't give him 1months notice that he is keeping the deposit!!! We paid 1 months rent yet could only stay there 6 nights.

Have we a leg to stand on in demanding our deposit or even the rent back?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭man-in-cognito

Well, Seeing as you're entitled by law to live in a dwelling that isn't flea infested, I'd say you've a good case.

Give Threshold a shout.. see what they think.

MIC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

From years of dogs, cats and messy tenants I have seen many fleas and worse.

Fleas are easy to get rid of if you don't have an animal about. Simply clean the place first and keep doing so every two days.
    To see how bad the situtation is as place a basin of water down during the day or at night. The fleas jump into the water (don't ask me why) and you can see how bad it is. If there are two or three you are okay if tons (20+) you are in trouble.

If you move out and the infestation was bad you will bring it with you.

The landlord might claim you brought them with you so you get into the blame game. Very hard to prove one way or the other so he might be able to get away with keeping your money.

A bit mean to keep the money and I understand why you want to move but it's not difficult to get rid of the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Dellgirl

Why should they do the landlords work for him? And if anything went wrong in the future - eg plumbing - Id say they would have a pretty battle on their hans to get it fixed. He sounds like the Irish landlord of old.
    its not good enoough and thats that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

If they just bundle all there stuff and go somewhwere else they will bring them with them either way. They have a problem that they need to deal with no matter who is at fault. THey mentioned they will never get rid of them which is unrealtistic and they may not realise how good or bad the situation is. THe water lets them find out.
    Fleas can effect anybody and brought in on many things it is very hard to establish who is at fault.
    Sounds like a problem which they need to deal with I am not saying who is to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

How would you deal with a problem like this?
    get a contractor in?

• Advertisement
Advertisement