Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The WCG - Enough gamers in Ireland 2 set up national prelims?

Options
  • 22-09-2005 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi,

The title says it all really- I'm sure some of u know the WCG (www.worldcybergamers.ie) Its probably the biggest worldwide PC/PS2/xbox championship- games include Warcraft 3, CS:S and Dawn of War.

I'm a big fan of Warcraft 3 and I realised that Ireland doesnt have a WCG "national partner" yet, even though other countries like Kazhakstan and Mongloia have one!

The deal is that you hold a national preliminary, crown a national champion in one / some of the games who then goes to the grand finals (they r in Singapore this year)

The problem is that the "strategic partner" has 2 pay royalties to the company organising the WCG. I was kinda thinking about organising this, but first I need your guys opinion about if there is a big enough gaming scene in Ireland for this sort of thing,

I would need about 100 people per game ( just Warcraft 3 in the starting year i suppose? ) to take part or else it would be a giant waste of money. Registration period lasts for several months and there'd b an official website to spread the word. Venue would probably be an internet cafe in Cork and one in Dublin.

Before i get into more detail I need some feedback guys.

Thanks a lot :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

while there would definiately be enough gamers in ireland. That said, irish gamers are a fickle bunch and i'd be very careful with them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

B-K-DzR wrote:
    while there would definiately be enough gamers in ireland. That said, irish gamers are a fickle bunch and i'd be very careful with them :)

Not since we got Broadbandised,theres a Dawn of War and a warcraft forum, odd thing its like OP and Ropedrink were destined to meet:)

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

the pro-gaming scene is starting to take off around the world. Unfortunately it's much bigger in asia currently than anywhere else in the world, Korea being the main country, then china. It's starting to get pretty big in germany too and not looking too shabby in the USA which is good news for us western gamers.

I was wondering how long it would be before something of the sort would start up in Ireland. I think the potential is definately there, as there are quite few gamers in Ireland. The question however is how many people are interested in or clue'd up on the scene?

I would say that if you are interested in arranging this a good starting point would be to start an online warcraft 3 league. Nothing fancy, just spread the word (maybe boards.ie can help out with this if it was a not for profit basis) and organise a couple of 32 man BO3 single elimination tournaments online, with the top 8 players over all being invited to LAN finals or something.

You might be able to get an internet cafe to agree to host the LAN finals for free in exchange for the publicity they would get.

Finding a sponsor "partner" to host the WCG qualifications here and then fund the trip to singapore for the winner will be a bit harder however, mainly because you need to show significant public interest before parties like that will sign on. But often the interest and media coverage doesn't arise until the money is there, so it's a bit of a chicken and egg thing. In any case, best of luck with the endevour. I don't have time to play much these days but I do enjoy following the pro-gaming scene with regards to WC3 and it would be cool to start something up in Ireland. There is definately a future in pro-gaming and now is a good time to get a foot in the door.

Lemme know if I can help with any of the organisational stuff, i'll be glad to lend a hand if i have the time.

BTW Kdjac, WoW and WC3 are two entirely different things, and the world of warcraft forum is prolly not the best place for this sort of thing, i'd agree that the general games forum is prolly the best place to talk about organising this sort of thing with regards to garnering support for pro-gaming in ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Memnoch wrote:

BTW Kdjac, WoW and WC3 are two entirely different things, and the world of warcraft forum is prolly not the best place for this sort of thing, i'd agree that the general games forum is prolly the best place to talk about organising this sort of thing with regards to garnering support for pro-gaming in ireland.

I would bet everyone who posts there has played Warcraft 3.

www.gaming365.ie could be worth sending an email looking for a sponsor.

kdjac

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm a big fan of Warcraft 3 and I realised that Ireland doesnt have a WCG "national partner" yet, even though other countries like Kazhakstan and Mongloia have one!

The deal is that you hold a national preliminary, crown a national champion in one / some of the games who then goes to the grand finals (they r in Singapore this year)

The problem is that the "strategic partner" has 2 pay royalties to the company organising the WCG. I was kinda thinking about organising this, but first I need your guys opinion about if there is a big enough gaming scene in Ireland for this sort of thing,

I would need about 100 people per game ( just Warcraft 3 in the starting year i suppose? ) to take part or else it would be a giant waste of money. Registration period lasts for several months and there'd b an official website to spread the word. Venue would probably be an internet cafe in Cork and one in Dublin.
    Thanks a lot :o
    ye i think that would be great.i hated that i couldn't play for my country in warcraft :)
    hmm i know a lot of the decent irish players in this game(we have a few quite decent players with each race),them being my friends and all.havn't played the game in a while now but i would love to get back into it.At first our country wouldn't be able to do well against the likes of SK,4K etc but that has just got to do with their being no incentive before now.i would love if we had a national team like all the other countries and after a year or so who knows how we would do ;)

If it was organised well we could get the 100 no bother but spreading the word is rather hard i would imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭unityofsaints

Ok folks,

Thanks for your feedback. I'm still very tempted 2 go ahead with this, the idea of holding an online league is a gud idea Memnoch!

I was thinking of a kind of a 3-step process:

-first hold a POLL on the forums to see how many people would take part in a tournament
    - hold the tournament/league (inofficial, nothing to do with WCG)
    - if its a success register with WCG and then start getting sponsors/locations together

Im in a bit of a rush at the moment I'll go into more detail soon, but I'll encourage everybody to take part in the poll ive put up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

a poll on the games forum is a good idea, but if you want this to be a success your gonna have to spread the word a lot further than just the confines of this forums, the lan forums are a good idea too, but other than that, I think a website is probably what's needed.

I'd happily link it in my sig if one existed. Ofc it's easy for me to spout ideas without actually putting in any work, but I'm just brainstorming here, in case anyone was actually interested in making things happen.

I'm crap at WC even thoguh I like watching replays of the top players I don't have the time needed to practise to actually be good at it, STILL, i'd be happy to sign up to a tournament just for the fun of it, and to see how good other Irish players are.

I think the first step to creating a presence for pro-gaming in Ireland is building a community, which isn't gonna be easy to say the least.

Some of the top pro-gamers in the world make up to $300k which might not be a lot compared to other sports but it's a start and I can only envisage it going up as the trend spreads world wide.

Pro-gaming is an eventualily, now that the fire is started it will continue to spread and it's only a matter of time before it hits Ireland! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Memnoch wrote:

I'm crap at WC even thoguh I like watching replays of the top players I don't have the time needed to practise to actually be good at it, STILL, i'd be happy to sign up to a tournament just for the fun of it, and to see how good other Irish players are.
    if anybody wants any advice or tips for warcraft,i'll help out.anything to get more people into the best multi player game ever ;)

if anybody wants any advice or tips for warcraft,i'll help out.anything to get more people into the best multi player game ever ;)

Totally agree with you there! any other game isnt worth playing :) What lvl r u ? Race? We could arrange a few custom games if u want ( asuming u r on northrend?) Im lvl 18 random team , lvl 15 arranged team and lvl 16 solo at the moment, crap that they r getting rid of 2v2 competition in ladder season III, was just getting good at arranged team :D

I've just recieved a reply from Area 51 (internet cafe in Cork) Saying that the y r interested in hosting WCG :)
    Hi *unityofsaints* (<name changed for privacy :) ) , *Bob* (<name changed for privacy :) ) here from AREA51 cork. We would be interested in holding WCG events here. I'm at the moment just looking into it. If you have any infomation you think would be handy you can drop me an email or call me.
    Cheers Sam

• Advertisement
Advertisement