Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Leaving Cert is looking alot easier

Options
  • 22-09-2005 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭

I've started whittling down what I need to study, and already it's not going to be nearly as daunting as first thought;

Art: I'll ace the practical, or I should anyway, and in Art History you have to answer 3 out of 24 questions, so by January I'll know exactly what to study and it won't be that much

English: Half of the marks you can't really sudy for apart from preparing essays or whatever; learn the quotes from your play & poetry, alot of which I know by now, and I'll be alright. I'll be doing a fair bit on how to properly structure essays and on increasing my verbosity, so to speak

Maths: Aiming for an A1 here. I have one of the best teachers in the country, and I'm pretty much set for this

French: Bit of work involved here alright. Need to learn alot more vocab, and I need to learn how to write proper opinion questions. Also the oral, but I'm good at spoken French

Irish: I'm in the bollocks here, but I'm pretty sure I won't be using this for points. I love the language and fully hope to be fluent at some stage, but our class hasn't a hope

History: Its the first year of the new course so you can bet it will be nearly a copy of the sample paper. In a few weeks I'll be teaching myself the rest of the course, but its only reading & memorising, and I have a head for figures & dates and a huge interest in history so I should be alright

Geography: Hope to have 20% of the exam in the bag with the field study; its a new course so again it'll be very similiar to the sample paper, and apparently the questions will be very broad and not specific

Tech Drawing: I've learnt 2 topics kind of well in 3 weeks, and altogether I'll be learning 8 or 9, so hopefully I'll be alright here. Also I have a brilliant teacher for this

Physics: Only need to pass at OL so I couldn't care less

So, all my preconceptions are out the window. Once I study all the past papers and get a general idea of what should come up the workload is reduced considerably. Its not going to be easy, but its not nearly as impossible/daunting/petrifying as I first thought. Or at least thats my mental defence mechanism kicking in telling me everything will be alright

Now that I've written this I bet I'll get all C's too.......

Do any of you post-leaving cert'ers agree with this? Please say yes....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

yes it is easy enough, but it's not a great idea to get into that mindset. That said, you don't want to burn yourself out. Its true that the LC is nothing to what its hyped upped to be, but work is required. It's not an intelligence test really, its a memory and application test.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Art: A1 Practical, 3/24 questions.. should be easy. I'm aiming for an A1 in the exam in total.

English: What you said really..

Maths: Aiming for an B1(2) here. My teacher is pretty crap.

French: to Bit of work here too. Need to learn a lot more vocab, and I need to learn how write proper opinion questions.

Irish: I hate this subject, our teacher is in the same age group as us, and he's just a push over, and he's generally rubbish.

Geography: Easy should get at least a B

Biology: I'm good at this when I actually study it, I'd wanna be getting a decent enough grade for this.

I'm feeling the pressure as I have a portfolio as well, and I don't have any definite idea of what i wanna do other than an Art course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

ive decided to do a course which is only 450 which is about 6 Bs so im not worried about the leaving at all, maths,english,history,spanish and accounting are all very possible A1s or A2s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Don`t fall into that mind set or you may get lazy!.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

Exams always look harder than they really are, it's to worry you into studying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I'm doing a portfolio too, but its going alright at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

OP - if you you think h istory as about reading and memorising you'll do no better then a C.

Its as much about the arguments you make and the conclusions you come to at the end of the essay.

Physics - if you can get an A1 in honours maths you can do the same in ohysics - its piss easy

English - dont bother increasing your verbosity, just make sure you develeop a good argumentative writing style for paper 2 and for paper 1 just make sure you answer the question they ask and you'll get marked well enough.

For the essay - bit of a lottery, really depends on how good you are :).

Unlike the rest of the leaving cert, English and History wont mark you for regurgitating facts / figures and quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Yes but thats just personal strength in argument, you need the figures to back them up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

english: what funkstard said...just learn off quotes and stuff

irish: have to study my poems...and practise speaking it! going to the gaeltacht over xmas i think to do that!

maths: my only ordinary level subject...havent gotten under 96% in this ever...but wont be counting it anyway

French: my easiest subject...LOVE it...A1 here i come!

Biology: this is basically just learning so i should do grand in this

Home Ec: simple..just learning off stuff...common sense really! though i've to make sure my coursework journal is perfect before mid term...20% of my mark

Chemistry: hmmm...i will probably have to work the most on this!! In my xmas test i'm gonna aim for a B3 and then try to increase that for the mocks and so on

Business: i love this subject even tho i only started it this year!! It's really interesting and u basically know what to study for the exam

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

English has me concerned, I managed to pull an A in the JC but the teacher I've had in 5th - 6th year can't teach AT ALL!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

english: what funkstard said...just learn off quotes and stuff

irish: have to study my poems...and practise speaking it! going to the gaeltacht over xmas i think to do that!

maths: my only ordinary level subject...havent gotten under 96% in this ever...but wont be counting it anyway

French: my easiest subject...LOVE it...A1 here i come!

Biology: this is basically just learning so i should do grand in this

Home Ec: simple..just learning off stuff...common sense really! though i've to make sure my coursework journal is perfect before mid term...20% of my mark

Chemistry: hmmm...i will probably have to work the most on this!! In my xmas test i'm gonna aim for a B3 and then try to increase that for the mocks and so on

Business: i love this subject even tho i only started it this year!! It's really interesting and u basically know what to study for the exam

I was told that the Home Ec exam is actually impossible to get an A in. Its meant to be supremely difficult

Sweet wrote:
    I was told that the Home Ec exam is actually impossible to get an A in. Its meant to be supremely difficult
    i like it! we got questions from the 2003 and 2004 LC exam in 5th yr summer test and i got an A1...i know thats nothing to go by, but when u like something you want to do well and you put in the effort!! I'm confident that i'll do well in it...but not "overly" confident...i know i have to work at it like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Funkstard wrote:
    Yes but thats just personal strength in argument, you need the figures to back them up

You've missed my point.

I didnt say you dont need to learn quotes, what i am saying is they are only a tool with which to back up your points.

So just learning quotes and doing nothing else is not particularly useful.

Testament to this is the fact that I got an A2 in english despite having never actually read my play or two of my comparative texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

art-practical should be okay except life drawing!?? art history is fine!
    english-my best subject so hoping i do pretty well!
    french-has got me worried!!
    irish-ill be relying on my fluent boyf to help me along in this one!
    maths-only ordinary subject im awful with numbers so im probably not counting on this for points
    geography-terrible teacher so tbh i dont really know much but im hoping i can bluff through it with some of my own study
    biology-not bad compared to the old course from what i heard, interesting enough too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭defiantshrimp

I wouldn't say that the leaving cert is easy, lest you get lazy as happened to a few dolts in my year. The best attitude is to know that it is very doable if you get your stuff together and work for it. But it is a very good idea (or i found it so) to list your subs out like you did and see how you are progressing in them. See what subs you are on track for and which ones need more work. The overview helped me a lot to focus my efforts where they would get the best return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Everyone is so sure! I'm so confused! Ive only been in school a week and I already feel left behind! I cant get in the frame of studying at all!! :eek:!! Aghh I am so screwed :'(

your not screwed hun! i know what subjects i have to really work at and what subjects i can pay a little less attention too...thats the best way really! i'm starting to do a little bit every nite starting monday...like going over stuff we did during the day and whatnot! It's too early to go into the whole study study study mode i think...

Advertisement