Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation

• 22-09-2005 11:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

With the heating costs rising a lot lately, I've noticed the house hasn't any insulation in the attic. I'm wondering what's the best type to get(maybe fibreglass is the only one available(it's the only one I know of)) and how much will it cost per m2 and where can i buy this. Does your regular building supplier deal with this sort of thing?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Joe,

Off the top of my head, you have your fibreglass, rockwool, rigid board (Kingspan, Xtherm, Quinn, Aerobord), you have the blown in insulation (polyperl, newpaper), sheeps wool insulation.

As regards prices your best bet is to measure the area and ring your building providers, they would have most of the above, except for the sheeps wool and blown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

Joe,
    The easiest thing to do is buy rolls of fiberglass. The depth is the important thing here. the deeper it is the more insulating value it has. Yop is right in that there are other methods but this is usually the easiest, as you can install it yourself, all you need is a normal saw, overalls and a breathing face mask (as fiberglass can ruin your lungs!). It is simple, cut to width (cut while it is still wrapped in plastic) and roll between the rafters, and under any cables. Be careful to leave "breather" gaps at the eves nearest the outside of the house for air to flow.

You can also get your walls filled if they are cavity walls, I got this done on my cottage and it is great, big differences and you can save a lot on heating. Polypearl were the company who done it for me.
    Best of luck,

Advertisement