Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WAV to MIDI converter

• 23-09-2005 4:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend the best wav to midi file converter.
    I'm assuming that some are better than others.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

none are any use

melodyne will do the job with a bit of work but ONLY if youve got a monophonic wav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

I'll check out melodyne.
    Guessing that if you want to convert some polyphonic wav to midi, it must be composed yourself?
    ahh well, i thought there might be an easier way.

i wanted to convert a drum fill to midi, then control a drum sample of my own choice with the same velocity,length.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭theexis

Sounds like you're after a beat detection rather than pitch detection (the really hard stuff) - most audio apps (Sonar, Cubase etc) can create "groove clips" today that extract the timing info from peaks in the audio signal. Tweak this yourself to line things up then you can save out the MIDI data.

the easiest way is to learn music theory

then you can just listen, and replay

Helix wrote:

You're joking right?

• Advertisement

not really no

the absolute basics are all you need to be able to reproduce with a bit of trial and error

You don't need any theory, just a good ear. Most musicians I know have no theory but can play whatever they want just listening to the stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

Sounds like you're after a beat detection rather than pitch detection (the really hard stuff) - most audio apps (Sonar, Cubase etc) can create "groove clips" today that extract the timing info from peaks in the audio signal. Tweak this yourself to line things up then you can save out the MIDI data.

This sounds like good idea, i'll definetely look into it.

then you can just listen, and replay

What i've done is order some books on drumming, like the Drummers Bible
    and Jungle Drum n Bass as these are supposed to be quite good.

i was just having difficulty trying to emulate a real drum fill on a drum machine.
    hopefully the books will help, i'll try that groove clip feature in the mean time.

thanks for advice.

for drum programming, if youre looking for something to sound authentic then you really really really have to work the velocity

Advertisement