Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fanbois.. leave the wangs at the door.

Options
  • 23-09-2005 8:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Amp: "I sense a disturbance in the force, like a million posters cried out to be banned"

Going to add a warning before my post.. This is not for discussing why X is better then Y.

I was on another forum and they were discussing the DS / PSP. For the record I own both and I am not going to say which one I prefer here or why.

I will say this, I have come to conclusion that it is impossible to have a rational debate about any two competing products.

For example on another forum I posted.
    "I have both, I find X is better because... Y has this going for it but X has ..."
    someone replies
    "Y is getting this feature added soon"
    "True but X has already and X will have .... added on top of that"
    which normally ends up with a rebuttal of..
    "Your mother blows goats"

I am just wondering what actually causes fanboism in people? What causes such devotion to a product/game/etc.

I recall from my childhood of Spectrum/C64 + Amiga/ST that fanboism never really manifested itself unless you had two people with different machines come in contact with each other. Even then it was just general slagging but on the net I have seen death threats and whatnot when it comes to fanboys.

So what is it that triggers it? Clever marketing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I had a C64 and mate had Spectrum his was better somehow, early fanboism.

Its like its their team and nothing can be better, The GC/Xbox gets Gran Turismno beaters. The PS2/GC gets halo beaters, the Ps2/Xbox gets Zelda beaters.

Can be annoying ie the revolution controller thread, seemingly its crap according to the PS2 humpers.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

What causes fanboïsm is "Buyer's Regret" or a alternative form of it (envy, springs to mind), and a smidgin' of peer pressure (for fanboys below a certain age, certainly), I believe.

This a couple of years back - I have a young cousin, who was always rambling about his PS2, WWF and FIFa games being so good ( :rolleyes: ) this-that-the other... typical 12 year old Sony whore ( :D;) ). Then he tried a few games on my XBOX (Halo, PGR) and my Gamecube (MK: DD, TS2, Ikaruga). Well, sh*t-what-do-you-know: "Whoa, Halo is so cool - when can I come and play it again?" "When will MK: DD come out on PS2?" etc, etc. - you see the point > It's all a matter of exposure and righting wrong (or baseless) perceptions...

Then again, as they say, 'idiots never change their minds', so undoubtedly some (quite a lot of-) fanboys are beyond medical help :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It's pretty simple I think. It starts off with somebody buying something, say a PSP. They're really happy with it and assume that it's the best thing going. Then someone else gets a DS and tells them how great it is. Then a mixture of pride in the device they think is great, ego in wanting to have the best gizmo out there, and jealousy that maybe the other persons gizmo actually is better, leads them to overhype their own device and put the other persons one down. The ratio depends on the person and whether or not the gizmo is actually any good. It also leads to a kind of brand loyalty, if somebody goes to so much effort telling everyone how much better Sonys PS2 is than Nintendos GameCube, they kind of follow that through to the PSPs and DSs, admitting the DS is better would almost be like admitting they were wrong about the other consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

I think what causes fanboyism is the 'burn' effect. This affect is a player who has either played a game on another product and has sucked so utterly bad that their brain tells them to hate this product. Also the reverse effect of this is if a player has been so good on a game for a a particular product that their brain says LOVE AND DEFEND THIS PRODUCT WITH YOUR LIFE. Another case would be if they have only had enough cash for one product and couldn't afford the other thus by comparsion (by this i mean they have no comparsion) the other product sucks ass. :D But tbpfh there is a fanboy/girl lurking inside all of us. With me it comes down to Zelda (as in my opinion it sucks ass, for the record i have played 2 zelda game) and the xbox vs ps2 , i have owned both and love certain games on both but i sold my ps2 and bought an xbox for one reason Halo. But tbh i think THIS sums fanboy's up perfectly, FANBOYS/GIRLS BEWARE :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

I think you've all pretty much hit the nail on the head. The football team analogy is a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I created a great picture for slagging fanbois when the taunts eventually start but can't get into my boards.ie webspace :(

I think if you have the money and are interested in games than you really should have all the consoles. I think fanboyism is just in the domain of juveniles that need to feel that they made the right choice of console by telling everyone how superior it is because the official magazines say so. Saying that I don't get a lot of people asking me why I bothered to buy a Gamecube because they are crap. All it takes is a bit of Resi 4, and MKDD multiplayer to change their mind.

Anyway the argument is moot. Nintendo roxorz! PS2 n Xbox r teh sux LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!11!!11!111111!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah, my X-box love came originally from always being a PC gamer from the age of about 11, and hence I found the X-Box a far more relatable experience to the PS2. I found the PS2 to be somewhat clunky and just feels....crap. I can't explain it....I absolutely hate playing games on the ps2 knowing its inferior to what the xbox could produce. How sad is that?

I'm not a die hard fanboy though or anthing, I love most of the ninty consoles (although I was a genesis man back in the day, still think it was the better console :D ), but at this stage its been warped even further by the far more hardcore fanboys that my friends are, always slagging me because out of maybe 50 people I know including 10 or so of my best friends, I'm the only person to actually own an X-Box.

I'll be getting an X-box 360, and although the inner part of me just knows the ps3 is the better console, I'll be there right at the front, "The 360 is better because....."

Hating Sony is almost like a way of life for X-Box gamers. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

I think it is all to do with feeling good about the decision you made. I.e. refusing to believe that you made an incorrect decision. Example, I'm an xbox/ps2 man. So why didn't I buy a _____? Because the box/ps2 is the better console simple as that.
    Now I know and feel that for me personally I have made the correct choice but for the next gen I really dont know yet as I haven't seen any of them (altough the rev has me hugely intrigued).

For some people though they buy a system and everything else is crap because they refuse to accept that they made a bad or incorrect decision. This goes for any console you buy. Everyone knows that sytsem X is better but system Y owners refuse this as they will not hear that they made the wrong decision. System X owners get freaked as they dont understand the blind loyalty.

I'm not a fanboy at all, in younger days i had a mega drive and i wouldn't hear a word of snes as it was "crap"!!! However now I fully accept that the snes was the better machine and I should have gone with it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

The official magazines have a lot to do with it. I know when I was younger and had my megadrive, reading the previews of next gen in my Sega magazines I refused to believe that crappy playstation could ever match the mighty Saturn. I'd no money for either till a few years later when I made a more informed choice of a playstation though. I also considered an N64 but I couldn't(and still haven't) get the hang of that controller. The gamecube perfected it though.

But when people only ever read and see one side of the story their going to see that side. It leads to ignorant comments like "Everyone knows the xbox is better but ps2 owners refuse this as they will not hear that they made the wrong decision" which don't take into account that different people have different tastes and each console has a variety of exclusive games and preference between xbox and PS2 would be influenced by whether you prefer RPGs or FPS games for example.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I agree with steviec more than I agree with iregk. I go so far as to say that you are totally wrong iregk. What console you like really depends on what games you like and not just blindly accepting that a console is the best. You may be an xbox man but for me the xbox is the worst console I've ever owned. The xbox is a great console if you are into online gaming and don't have a gaming PC. For me the only games I like on my xbox have been Panzer Dragoon Orta and Ninja Gaiden. Most of the other games are better played on a PC although I do always by multiformat games for the xbox. I'm really not interested in online gaming. The PS2 and Gamecube for me are far better consoles since they have the Japanese RPGs and action/adventure games that I love.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I'm not interested in consoles, I'm interested in games.
    I used to buy games mags when I had a Megadrive, it was all Nintendo vs Sega aswell, you either loved Sonic or you loved Mario. I ended up getting a SNES too. Loved both.

Luckily my other half is just as addicted so we get to share these costs, so we'll most likely get all 3 next gen consoles. They'll have different games, as long as I'm interested in some of the games that are available I don't see a problem.

Also, CAD sucks. Sorry, but it's true. That's probably the only funny one they ever did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Sorry I shoudl have worded that a bit better. I didn't mean literally the xbox is king ps2 crap. As I said at the bottom, please delete or change which ever name suits. Yes I'm an box man, in so far as I have one but read what I put and change xbox for ps2 and vice versa where you see fit. Get what I'm saying. I could go back and re do it but I'm just to god dam lazy!!!!

To an extent though I do agree that its personal choice in so far as online gaming get an xbox, jap rpg's get a cube so on and so forth. However thats where you actually use options and taste but as the forum is about blind fanboy that doesn't apply here.

How many went blindly into ps2 or xbox purchase without checking out both respective systems because they like one brand over another? I went straight into a ps2 from a ps purely because of sony marketing and that I though the ps2 was the dogs b****x. Then I played halo and wanted a box. Didn't buy it rather got it as a present and since then the ps2 hasn't seen the light of day. So I'd like to say i made an informed decision after sampling both systems but like so many to begin I was a blind loyal sheep.

Ok if you re-read it again you will know that I did go back and change it. Appologies for the mis understanding I guess I could have worded it a lot better to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

iregk wrote:
    I think it is all to do with feeling good about the decision you made. I.e. refusing to believe that you made an incorrect decision. Example, I'm an xbox man. I have sony everythign else in my house so why didn't I buy a playstation? Because the xbox is the better console simple as that. Now I know and feel like I made the correct choice but for the next gen I really dont know yet as I haven't seen any of them (altough the rev has me hugely intrigued).

For some people though they buy a playstation and everything else is crap because they refuse to accept that they made a bad or incorrect decision. This goes for any console you buy. Everyone knows the xbox is better but ps2 owners refuse this as they will not hear that they made the wrong decision. xbox owners get freaked as they dont understand the blind loyalty. Now change ps2 xbox names around as you choose there but thats my opinion: refusal to accept that you made an incorrect decision.

I'm not a fanboy at all, in younger days i had a mega drive and i wouldn't hear a word of snes as it was "crap"!!! However now I fully accept that the snes was the better machine and I should have gone with it...

I would agree with this, I think it is mostly children defending the console that they have, I mean if you have an xbox and cant afford a PS2 as well then obviously the other system blows goats......if you have both or more then you wont tend to get into the sexual habits of inanimate objects and can be a little more objective about it and actually evaluate the devices and not just talk rubbish.

It really was pathetic seeing the PS2 sell out when it was released despite the fact that there wasn't one game on the system worth getting for a whole year. It was selling on name alone. I've only ever bought 2 consoles on release, the GBA because the launch line up was excellent and the promise of mario kart in 2 weeks, and the DS mainly because I needed a GBA with a better screen, it certainly didn't have the games. I'd always wait until there were some decent games on a system until I buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I was a ps1 fanboy back in the day, i was convinced it was the best thing since sliced bread. sliced bread having being invented the previous summer. But when the DC came out, i was working in easons, and stole many a computer games magazine, read more & more about the DC, and eventually gave up my sony fanboyism and got one. Best thing i ever did. It opened my eyes to a world of gaming id never even thought of visiting before. After the DC i went multiformat, and bout a ps2, GC, xbox, then eventually moved into the PC gaming world.
    Anyone who desperately clings to one console and wont play others cause 'theyre gay' or whatever is just a chump, theyre missing out on so much.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Another childish strain of platform fanboys comes from not been able, or not wanting, to buy all of the platforms – thus what they own is the best, or their choice was the best .
    Yeah, my X-box love came originally from always being a PC gamer from the age of about 11, and hence I found the X-Box a far more relatable experience to the PS2. I found the PS2 to be somewhat clunky and just feels....crap. I can't explain it....I absolutely hate playing games on the ps2 knowing its inferior to what the xbox could produce. How sad is that?

Very much so. You'd think an Xbox lover would know the correct way of typing such.
    koneko wrote:
    I'm not interested in consoles, I'm interested in games.

Best reply, so-far.

I picking up an xbox on sunday with halo1/2 and Gaiden for €125.

Then my circle is complete.

Ps2 with Ico, GTAs, Winning eleven 9 and burnout 3/4
    GC with Zelda, Metroid 1 and 2, Paper mario
    Xbox with Gaiden and soon to be Gaiden 2, care not for Halo so they be sold.

Only took me 4 years to get them all :D

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I got my PS2 for GTA3 and Gran Turismo 3, and I believe Final Fantasy X was out not long after. Other highlights have been MGS, Suikoden 3(with lots and lots of hassle), also my console of choice for multiplatform games even though it's very much not ideal.

Got my Gamecube for Monkeyball and Mario Party, then their sequels, also F-Zero, Mario Kart, Soul Calibur, it's been very much my multiplayer console. Didn't like either Zelda or Metroid so it's lacked a great single player game for me, though the new Pokemon should change that I hope. Oh I also have to get Resi 4, though I've never been a big fan of the series. The gamecube has potential for multiformat titles, it's got a lot of power and I love its loadtimes, but your typical multi-platform games very rarely use it's joypad as well as they should. Which is a pity cos its a wonderful controller.

I don't have an xbox although I play one very regularly. Don't like Halo(it is the best console FPS I've played but I just don't like FPS games), I was tempted to buy one for KOTOR but I sat out for the PC version, same for the sequel. I was also gonna buy one for Fable, till I played it. It's the best platform for multi-format games, but I'm not about to buy one just for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

KdjaC wrote:
    Only took me 4 years to get them all :D

and now you can look forward to buying the ps3, 360 and revolution.. enjoy that :p

and now you can look forward to buying the ps3, 360 and revolution.. enjoy that :p

Revolution 1st then see how the gamesa and prices go for others. Which means whens GTA out :)

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaC wrote:
    I picking up an xbox on sunday with halo1/2 and Gaiden for €125.

Get yourself Panzer Dragoon Orta if you can find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think also a huge part of my leaning stems from the fact that I have no interest whatsoever in the Ps2 exclusive games such As MGS3 and Devil May Cry.

I bought a ps2 for Killzone, it was okay, but I found it horribly clunky and ragged compared to the smoothness of Halo, overall it was a great attempt, but just didn't really satisfy me....I kept thinking damn, this could have been twice the game it is if it was released on the xbox. I dunno, I think although I'm definately getting a 360, I doubt there'll be much more to attract me to the ps3...again I think the main reason is that none of the games that serve as its selling power appeal to me at all, I was always a straight forward action/FPS junkie, for which the 360 currently holds much better prospects for me in that regard.

These days, anything that comes out multiplatorm looks bad on ps2 in comparison to the xbox, Rainbow Six Lockdown for example looks noticably better in all departments and puts the ps2 version to shame. Since I own both consoles, and have a specific interest in such straight forward games, there is absolutely zero reason for me to pay money for an inferior version.

I Used to love my PS1, although I had a sneaking admiration for the N64, but then Medal of Honor came along and blew, for me, the N64 out of the water. It was only really later I came to appreciate proper classics such as Perfect Dark.

I might surprise myself, something might be released on the ps3 that really takes my fancy, and I'll buy it. I don't like the ps2 in general, not sure how my feelings will translate to the next gen consoles, but I bought a ps2 for Killzone, wouldn't be surprised if I bought a ps3 for Killzone 2.

Believe it or not, alot of the rivalry as wells stems from social rather then gaming reasons. As mentioned previously I'm the only person in my entire area of friends to own an Xbox, and its unreal the amount of "Xbox is so gay" trash talk that goes on, even when we've just all been playing Halo for hours on end. :D

Part of me wants to live up to the rivalry, and again, I'll probably the only one left in defense of the microsoft console in my circle of friends, which suits me fine. It's great fun. All I want is Halo 3 and Gears of War, after that, we'll have to see which console tips the balance for the casual action gamer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I have tried most consoles right back to the old nes. I never got the same thrill out of the

nes
    snes
    gameboy
    mastersystem
    megadrive
    lynx
    sega(CD thingy)
    playstation
    dreamcast
    camecube
    PS2
    X-Box
    ds
    psp
    etc...

as the kick I got out of my old c64 which I still have btw... still works too.

I tried to rack my brains to figure out why and decided it was its versatility. Thats why I will not be buying consoles untill they match up to my PC. But I will still give them a chance to prove themselves Im no fanboy.

but I find them funny, because they defy all reasoning

gaystation6es.png

Advertisement