Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker society

Options
  • 23-09-2005 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭

Anyone here play poker last yr in UCD?? if so have you joined again this yr and are we likley to get ripped off as much again?? do u know if its same managemtn as last yr?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I joined this year... how were you ripped off last year? Do you know when and where the beginners' class thing is on? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

we got ripped off big time last yr because i reckon about 60 or 70 % of the money they took in they kept. The prize pools were unbelievably small for suck large fields. they have no overheads most of the time.

Actaully did some maths (conservitavely) on the big event they ran in o reailly hall last yr. I reckon they made about 6K that night. Was unbelievable.

Not going to happen this yr...going to talk to some of the regulars on the first night and get some ppl together to go to the committee. See if we can get a reg fee in each buy in and all other money into the prize pot. (welll we can dream)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

padser wrote:
    they have no overheads most of the time.

They have very nice glossy posters. Those things aren't cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

padser wrote:
    we got ripped off big time last yr because i reckon about 60 or 70 % of the money they took in they kept. The prize pools were unbelievably small for suck large fields. they have no overheads most of the time.

Actaully did some maths (conservitavely) on the big event they ran in o reailly hall last yr. I reckon they made about 6K that night. Was unbelievable.

Not going to happen this yr...going to talk to some of the regulars on the first night and get some ppl together to go to the committee. See if we can get a reg fee in each buy in and all other money into the prize pot. (welll we can dream)

Fair play Padser. I joined up this year because I got the poker bug over the summer. I'll be p!ssed if I find out they're just robbing everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

What do they have lined up over the next while. I joined but don't really know much about whats going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭willis

the ucd poker society is the biggest scam ever. I would love to see their end of year accounts,we asked last year but were refused access. They really do rip poker players off,ask anyone who was a member last year

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Now they tell us?

What's the poker like anyway?

I dont think they will be able to rip us off as much this yr as last yr. I didnt go down last monday cos i knew it would be mobbed first monday. But am going next mon and am going to try and get a group together tellling em instead of playing for E5 we want to play for E4 + 1. 20% is still a massive amount to give to the house but i reckon last yr they took in excess of 50%.

Anyways anyone going next week look out for me. Ill be trying to drum up support from people for a change of structure.

I don't understand what you mean by €4 + 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Maybe they need the 50% to rent out places, and buy chips, ect.
    breadmonkey: I think he means E4 goes in as prize money and the rest is payed to the organisers.

• Advertisement

Nah. The chips, cards, felts etc have all been paid for previously (i.e. out of last year's funds). I know the sports clubs get hall space for free, so I'd imagine the socities are either paying nothing, or very little.

So where does the money go?

nah as previosly said. Chips are long paid for etc. astra hall is free. Only real expensise are the actual cards that have to be bought on a constant basis.

What i mean by E4 +1. You pay E5. E4 goes to prize pool and E1 goes to the house.

Advertisement