Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the .........?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Funkstard wrote:
    I don't care what science tells me, I only get colds when its cold outside

I'm no scientist but the cold weather must affect your immune system in some form, judging by the Danone ad anyway, which would increase your chances of getting a cold during said cold weather.

I myself got my "back to school" cold as it were during rather hot weather and I got one during summer too for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Its the crucial element of L.Casei Immunitas that I'm missing. Does anyone else think they just lashed in some slightly sour milk into Actimels and made up a word for that chemical thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Folks, we should remember that not everyone who gets 600 pts has no life, I know people who are just very sharp, very switched on, fast learners with near total recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Outcast

Yeah, what exactly is a typical 600 pointer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

its a steriotypical image of a nerd who studies and has no life...which is not true coz i know a good few people who got 600 pts and they were constantly out every weekend and had hockey training with me every thurs and sat evening for 3 hours...and those things take up a lot of time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

here what the hell, someone is definitely deleting my posts. This is the second time something's been deleted

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

its a steriotypical image of a nerd who studies and has no life...
    Well it sounds to me as if she studied and had no life. I mean, 45 hours a week?! She just thinks she's not typical because she wears Ralph Lauren and has fake tan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

Funkstard wrote:
    here what the hell, someone is definitely deleting my posts. This is the second time something's been deleted
    weird...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

I would say the vast majority of 600 pointers don't come close to doing half that amount of work. That's a crazy amount and if you need to do that much work to get the points for your course, chances are you'll have a hard time in the course anyway. Two people from my year did really well, one spent his whole life (12 hours a day during holidays) studying and managed to get 580. He doesn't have one remaining friend and was actively pissing people of during class thinking he was some sort of uber-being. The other is a complete bum with absolutely no common sense who didn't do a stroke of work all year and walked away with 570. Both are doing the same course so no points for guessing who'll have the better time :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I don't think it's healthy to do that to yourself over an exam... If you need to kill yourself for two years in order to get a course, you really have to ask yourself how important is it... I don't think it's worth it personally, but I guess some people have more defined goals, etc. There's normally different ways to go about getting your qualification, though. Like go abroad for a few years, have a blast, get your qualification, and come back. Is it worth the agony (at least for myself and all my friends) over this exam...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Aporia

There is no point in wasting THAT much time on school and study unless you enjoy it....What a waste of time, time which is priceless and even more so while your young!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

if you had to put that much work into getting a 600 point leaving cert then theres no way you'd last in the corses needing the highest points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Interesting point...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

Ok, yeah, I'm only in fourth year, but I know two people in my school who got 600 points, and I know for a fact one of them was not doing ANYTHING like this girl. They did 9 hours supervised study a week, homework... and maybe a couple of hours during the weekends. She still played comogie and gaelic. And she wore fake-tan and owns Abercrombie clothes.

She is, of course, extremely intelligent. Well duh...

We have to acknowledge that by whatever means she managed it this girl did get 600 points and will probably be very successful in life. But at the same time she clearly wasted two years of her life preparing for two weeks, that's not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Outcast wrote:
    ...But at the same time she clearly wasted two years of her life preparing for two weeks, that's not right.

The individual will undertake whatever training he feels necessary in his own time before the event. It is only the end result that counts.

This is the way of the world, take the driving test as an example. The test itself only lasts about an hour on one day, but the individual might practice reversing/parking etc for months beforehand, he is not "wast[ing]" months of his life.

well ok the leaving cert thing is taken too far by some ppl studying every day, but its every man for himself at the end of the day, if you need 500pts for course xyz and you only get 495 then you don't get in, end of story.

But if we look at life like that everything is a way of preparing for something else and we never actually appreciate what we're doing right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Kenshi

4Xcut wrote:
    if you had to put that much work into getting a 600 point leaving cert then theres no way you'd last in the corses needing the highest points
    Well something like Law(boring!) is hardly as difficult as Astro-Physics o some of the sciences!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

Hate to bump up an old post but in religion on friday we had to spend the class reading that article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

She was in my year before she went to the Institute after 5th year. She is a smart girl and I always thought she had a very active social life. She wouldn't have fitted into the stereotypical "loser" group or genre which is what you would have expected after reading the article about her in the times. I say fair play to her for having the motivation to get what she wanted. I'll never forget the day my History teacher heard she was giving up History for the Leaving Cert. She studied half of the LC Higher History course and was an A student in that. I don't see why the hell they wrote about her. I know a girl in Galway who got 700 points over all in 7 exams.
    P.S. Who ever said she said that she doesn't talk to northsiders, I'd say thats bullshit!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 killermonkey

my god that was a disturbing article! ok im a leaving certer 2005, havent read this forum in a while, but i cant believe that the irish times were ignorant enough to inflict that interview on the leaving certers of 2006!! just read it on the net... long story short i got 600 this year, i worked hard for it but not nearly as much as that idiot described in her interview. its just frustrating to think that you guys might think thats the way to go about reaching your potential in the exams. firstly you dont need to go crazy in fifth year AT ALL!! i was head of a charity AND had a total of nine after-school commitments during fifth year (not really advisable to do that many by the way...!) and then in sixth year, although i upped the ante and cut back on extra-curricular stuff i still managed to go out every weekend up until march or so, after which it was less frequent, and was head of the school prefects and a few other things... this isnt to boast, and i hope ye dont think of it that way, im just trying to show ye that u can find a balance in 6th year and there is absolutely no need to be freaking out about study and exams when ye still have over 8 months! and even come may/june keep realistic, dont feel that just cos someone else need to study 5 hours a day to get an A1 that thats the only way to do it. the advice in that girls interview is absurd and im just shocked people might actually take it seriously. work hard, yes, especially after christmas, but remember ye are only human. if u study 45 hours a week u will exhaust yourself and wont work/study to your potential. imagine after a full day of school and youre into your fifth hour of continuous study "just before being kicked out of the library at the tute", its gonna take a hell of a lot longer to concentrate on a passage of biology/whatever than it would in the second hour! dont feel guilty about watching an hour of tv or for going out clubbing at the weekend for christ sake! that girl is going to waste a lot of her youth trying to impress others with a results sheet which prevented her from living a real life. theres a difference between making sacrifices in 6th year and cutting urself off from reality! im a week into college now and nobody gives a rats about the leaving cert, its a big deal for a grand total of a week, i promise. its hyped up in school by drama queens and people who cant think of anything more interesting to discuss...dont succumb to the madness, work hard but not crazy-hard, anything which requires 45 hours a week on top of schoolwork isnt worth the effort. and by the way, i know more than 30 people who got maximum points thru school, college courseand various other things, and really there isnt any such thing as an 'average 600 pointer'. of all those people i only know 3 who worked in any way as much as that girl in the times interview. we are normal people (well kinda!) dont let her colour ur perception. oh and also she sounds like she has an obnoxious personality on top of all that, e.g. "i got so frustrated when the teacher tried to tell us stuff that wasnt on the exam"....well damn those fools for trying to give us an....oh whats it called again....an....education??

it doesnt require that much study!i got in region of 470 points but they was some personal issues which kinda ****ed my whole village up so lost ability to study b4 for two weeks before the leaving!i was pleasantly surprised wit what i got!

Advertisement