Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics Card problems

Options
  • 23-09-2005 9:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi,

I've just bought a new PC. Here: http://www.microdirect.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?ProductID=9695

I have a Daewoo 17" TFT 10ms monitor connected to it.

I've been having problems with it though because the screen keeps flickering & intermittently turning off. I don't know whats causing it!

It might have something to do with the graphics card as I tried loading Half Life2 last night & it said my graphics drivers were out of date so i tried updating them, & changing the resolution but this seems to have made it worse. It's actually slowing down the PC now, so I'm thinking its the card & not the monitor thats the problem. I have a ATI Radeon X700 256Mb card installed.

Any ideas on this? :confused:

Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Well first things first, make sure that:
    a) the monitor cable is properly plugged in to the back of the card (screw it in just to make sure), and
    b) the graphics card is seated into the motherboard properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭TheLedge

Yeah I've tried the obvious ones already.

There might be a problem with the cabling alright though. I have a Male-Male SVGA cable, but the Graphics card comes with a DVI-OUT, so they provide the SVGA-DVI adaptor which I'm using. I'm guessing theres a problem with this so I'm going to buy a DVI cable this evening and try it out.

I think I can configure the graphics card settings so that most of the available memory & CPU is transferred to the Game or something?

AT the moment the whole PC is slowing down and the screen is flickering when running a high performance application.

Anybody know how to do this? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

in advanced display options, sell all the 3D options to 'High Performence'

Right, i think I may have 'solved' my issues. Well, got rid of the problem for the moment anyway.

I had updated my drivers to the latest ones ATI released in the past week. These drivers had the effect of slowing down my machine & occasionally crashing and rebooting itself which rendered the machine pretty unusable... So I performed a rollback to the previously installed drivers and this is what I'm going to continue to use until I find more problems!!

bloody drivers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Pack3t3rroR

Ok do this:

Go to www.guru3d.com and download

Catalyst 5.5 drivers from there (These are very stable for X700 series)
    Also make sure you have DirectX 9.0c installed (Start>Run>dxdiag)
    Then go to you MB bios and make sure Video Caching is turned off

when you are at guru3d.com also download "driver cleaner" and load windows in safe mode AFTER you have uninstalled you ATI drivers. Use this to clean the files that the ATI software leaves behind. Then launch windows in normal mode and install 5.5.

Advertisement