Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTP Server Help!!

Options
  • 23-09-2005 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Ok ive been trying for ages now to setup a FTP server on my home PC, i currently have an Apache webserver running too, but need to have a FTP server running aswell. (Its all on the same machine, i know i should have them on seperate machines on a network, but its just for testing)

The problem is that im using Eircom Broadband and have the Standard Ethernet/USB broadband modem, i havent got a clue how to configure it to allow the FTP server to run.

Can anyone talk me through step by step on how to configure NAT on the DSL modem.

The FTP server im trying to use is Serv-U.

Thanks in Advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

first thing to check is if you can ftp locally.

eg make a connection via an ftp program to host 127.0.0.1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

I think it did work locally, i cant test im at work. I will later.

Is it just a matter of opening up the right ports on NAT? By the way is a Netopia eircom modem.

Also in Serv-U server settings, it asks for the IP address of the server, should i enter my external IP there or my Local?

Forgive me im a complete noob at this.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

This is from my personal opinion.

FTP is a average protocol.

FTP over NAT is plain insane in the membrane. Although you may connect to FTP on 21 is will choose at random a port for data transfers and unless you can pre empt what port it will use you'll have some fun connecting.

My advice is to make your FTP a DMZ on your network, after taking measures for security. or just forward from 21,1024-65535 to your FTP server (again with the security)

Then get some UPnP aware FTP program (assuming router is UPnP compatible) and work away as normal*. As far as I know SmartFTP is now free and UPnP compatible.

*Although I doubt that can be considered normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

My memory is v hazy but I think FTP requires separate IP connections for both control and data. Worse still, some are initiated by the server back to the client, which will be blocked by your client firewall. If you set your FTP server to work in passive mode I think it lets you work with port 21 from client to server alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Ok, uPNP, FTP data, conn, active, passive, we could be going forever here folks. But basically you want people to be able to FTP to your system.

You need to open port 21 on your broadband modem/firewall/router and PAT/NAT (overload) that Port/IP address to your internal PC. This sounds far more complicated that it is (unless you're configuring a Cisco box).

Since you've gone with the Eircom DSL USB thingy, you don't actually configure anything on your DSL modem it all happens inside your OS. It "becomes" the public IP address of the ADSL link and you simply need to grant permission (by mapping the port) in the Internet Connection link (properties of it). What OS are you running?

• Advertisement
Advertisement