Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iTunes Library's

Options
  • 23-09-2005 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭

Is there any way to use two different libraries on two different PC's with me new iPOD ?, when I rip some tunes in work and try and transfer them it only give me the option to format the iPod and start again because it is already associated with a different Library.
    I imagine I'm just making an AR$E of it so any help to a novice would be much appreciated.

21/25

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 a bald bloke

yes, and it's simple enough

(before starting switch off autosync for the ipods in itunes, it's not needed)

1. fill the ipod with yer music on pc number 1
    2. connect ipod to pc number 2
    3. open explorer (file manager not internet!),
    make sure you have windows set to show hidden files and system files
    4. view the contents of the ipod
    5. see the folder \iPod_Control\
    6. open it and copy the music folder to the hard disc on pc number 2
    7. when it's finished copying, set all the files in the copied folder to
    be non hidden
    8. now run itunes on pc number 2 and add the folder containing the copied music
    this will pick up the id tags and show all the tracks.
    9. now run consolidate library and all the files will be copied with the correct
    naming system and folder structure into your itunes folder.

when that is done just delete the copied files folder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭*Sassy*

Nice one, I just came on to ask that question as my old computer packed it in last week and I was afraid I'd lose what I have on my ipod.

Bit of a novice, so can you please tell me how I set Windows to show hidden files and system files? I presume when you say "view the contents of the ipod" this comes up automatically?

Thanks in advance

if you're using xp then it's just a matter of opening a folder,
    from the folders menubar select Tools\Folder Options,
    then select the second tab "View" on the Folder Options dialog
    If you scroll down there is a hidden files and folders checkbox, just
    switch it to show all the hidden stuff

hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I don't think all those steps are neccessary and it really is much simpler unless I'm misunderstanding the question. Just switch off autoupdate on your iPod. I can't remember now but you may be told that the iPod has never been used on this P.C. before but just continue on.
    I use my iPod over 3 different P.C.s, all different libraries and I just connect it as normal.

yeah, you're right, i initially misread the question, but sure feck it, the info
    there might be helpful to others trying to back up the music from their iPods
    so did'nt change it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭*Sassy*

Aaaargh! I've deleted everything from my iPod!! Luckily (I hope) I had copied it all to my desktop before that happened. However, when I drag the folder to add it to the library in iTunes, nothing happens. I've checked the show hidden files box. The folder still looks a bit faded out (if you know what I mean). Any idea what I'm doing wrong?!

ETA: Crisis averted, I figured it out. Phew!

Advertisement