Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plasma mounting and child proffing of kit.

Options
  • 23-09-2005 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hi

I have a 32" Hitachi Plasma TV which is currently my 20 mth old daughters favourate toy. Yesterday she decided to feed it with yogurt! As it is on a swivel base she swings on it a lot. I have tried all the Supernanny tricks to no avail and have decided to get it wall mounted over our fireplace. (Fire is not used). I would like to get this done properly (I am useless at DIY) can someone please recommend a reputable firm/person who will do this includng hiding cables etc and who does not charge a fortune?

I would also like to get a "toddler" proof cabinet for my other AV equipment, Pioneer amp, Samsung DVD, Sky+, NTL Digital and Pany DVD recorder. It must be lockable as my daugter continuosly switches channels, ejects DVD's etc. It is practically impossible to watch anything but Bear in the big blue house or Barney. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatlyfully appreciated.

Help!!!

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭pastor

pastor wrote:
    Hi

I have a 32" Hitachi Plasma TV which is currently my 20 mth old daughters favourate toy. Yesterday she decided to feed it with yogurt! As it is on a swivel base she swings on it a lot. I have tried all the Supernanny tricks to no avail and have decided to get it wall mounted over our fireplace. (Fire is not used). I would like to get this done properly (I am useless at DIY) can someone please recommend a reputable firm/person who will do this includng hiding cables etc and who does not charge a fortune?

I would also like to get a "toddler" proof cabinet for my other AV equipment, Pioneer amp, Samsung DVD, Sky+, NTL Digital and Pany DVD recorder. It must be lockable as my daugter continuosly switches channels, ejects DVD's etc. It is practically impossible to watch anything but Bear in the big blue house or Barney. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatlyfully appreciated.

Help!!!

Paul

Help!!!!!! please, things are getting worse, have any other board users used any of the Home cinema Installation companies based in Dublin? I need to get my plasma mounted ASAP. Any suggestions for a child proof cabinet?

Please help.

Thanks

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Heh heh, I feel your pain!!

I mounted my plasma myself and while I could have done a better job if I'd spent more time I'm very happy with the result. The cables are not buried in the wall, but I've hidden them behind some conduit which was painted to match the wall colour, it also allows me the flexibility to get at the cables should I need too.

For the cabinet I bought a 'Hi-fi' cabinet from House of Mexico on the Belgard Road, near Smyths, haha, you can send the daughter into Smyths while you get your cabinet. I think it was about 150 Euro or so. It has a lattice door which can stay closed yet the remotes will still work through it. I did have to cut a hole in the back of it for cables etc, but like you I've lots of gear so needed it done right.

I'm trying to attach a picture...

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

Pastor,

A friend of mine had the same problem with his kid switching the sky+ box off etc ....he had tv unit which was exposed @ the front ..which meant easy access for the toddler :p

He bought a sheet of clear perspex and cut to size slightly bigger than the front of the tv unit...and bought four small magnets ..glued them to each of the four corners.

the sheet now fits on to the front of the cabinet and is kiddie proof

its a cheap alternative to buying a new cabinet. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I have the same problem.

But have seen a unit in Argos with a glass cover. I'm going to put the telly on top of it as well but think this will have to be wall mounted eventually (my child is only crawling at the moment).

Try advertising on here for someone to put the telly up for you. I'm sure there are people who are more than capable of such a job. Really needs to be done properly with such an expensive peice of equipment.

Instead of childproofing the telly, you could telly proof the child. Hang her on the wall instead. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

hshortt wrote:
    Heh heh, I feel your pain!!

I mounted my plasma myself and while I could have done a better job if I'd spent more time I'm very happy with the result. The cables are not buried in the wall, but I've hidden them behind some conduit which was painted to match the wall colour, it also allows me the flexibility to get at the cables should I need too.

For the cabinet I bought a 'Hi-fi' cabinet from House of Mexico on the Belgard Road, near Smyths, haha, you can send the daughter into Smyths while you get your cabinet. I think it was about 150 Euro or so. It has a lattice door which can stay closed yet the remotes will still work through it. I did have to cut a hole in the back of it for cables etc, but like you I've lots of gear so needed it done right.

I'm trying to attach a picture...

Sorry to go off topic but what size pioneer is that?? Is it the 43" or 50", I want to get a 50" but her indoors in kicking off!! Telling her that the 50" will be easier for her to see from the kitchen didnt really help my plight!!

I will also be looking for someone to install it, my plan was to ring Harvey Normans or one of those places to see who they use to install.. wont be buying from them of course but I am sure they must have a list of installers!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

It's the UK spec 43Inch XDE model with dual tuners and the media centre too. Irish stores only provide a lesser model and they cost more too.

Cheerio
    Howard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

A related query - we're getting some building work done in the kitchen, so I have the opportunity to get the builders to do a decent job at the wall mounting. However, don't most smaller LCD's (17" or 20") have a power lead with a little box-type transformer attached. I'm wondering where I can locate the transformer so it's not visible? Is it safe to build it behind the wall? Suggestions welcome.

Advertisement