Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Mobile Insurance Rip Off??

• 23-09-2005 10:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭

I have a nokia 6230 that i bought exactly a year ago on upgrade. I also signed up for insurance at €6 a month incase something should happen.

Now I think the insurance is a rip off. €6 a month. You can only make 2 claims a year. Excess of €30 on first claim and €75 on any after that.

Now that I am out of contract am I right to cancel it as now if anything happens and I lose my phone I can get a new one on another network or through upgrade if I'm eligible. Are there any alternative insurances that offer good value or I am I making the right decision.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

You can do whatever you want to be honest..

But will everyone in this bloody place stop referring to everything they think is expensive as a Rip-Off.. Compare it to what other companies and see how you get on..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

I stand by calling it a rip off as it is expensive for the cover you get. Just because it is also expensive with other companies doesn't mean that they all aren't rip offs.

Also notice my thread title is asking if it is really a rip off. Hence the question marks!!! My opinion is that it seems to be very expensive for what you get.

What are the alternatives. Can i get cover through any other companies that are tied to a mobile network cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Insurance is always a rip off til you need it.
    You paid 72euro for the year yet if you needed to buy another 6230 during the year you'd have to pay around 300.
    I'd say there might be cheaper insurance out there but it'll probably cover less.
    What do you need to be covered for?
    Damage, theft/loss, mugging, water damage, loan phone if it needs to be repaired. Also check the excess on the various policies.
    I have insurance on my phone, although I'm careful enough my phone got robbed only 2 months after I bought it so I was happy enough I had it then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

O2 Speakeasy insurance costs €6 a month and what's not covered is:

* The first €35.00 of any claim
    * Handsets with a replacement value of €400 and over.
    * Repairs that are covered by your mobiles warranty or mechanical breakdown
    * Mobiles stolen from an unattended vehicle, unless they are in a glove compartment or locked boot
    * Claims as a result of undue care or negligence
    * Claims which are not notified to the Gardai or O2 Customer Care within 24 hours of your becoming aware of the loss or theft
    * More than two claims in any 12 month period
    * Completed claims not returned within 30 days of loss or theft
    * Claims made within the first 60 days unless the policy was taken out within 7 days of purchasing the new mobile phone.
    * Loss, destruction or damage when the SIM card is not in the mobile phone.
    * Any remaining credit on phone at time of loss.

I shouldn't imagine the Vodafone exemption list is any shorter. However, I'd make the point that just because there aren't cheaper options for something, doesn't mean there isn't a 'rip off' (i.e. an unreasonable profit) taking place.

Car prices (even allowing for taxes) are far in excess of what they should be in Ireland in comparison with other countries. Petrol prices have been raised far above what the increase in the cost of crude would suggest. There is a similar disparity between prices and costs in hotel accommodation, restaurant prices etc.

There's no formal cartel, but a nod and a wink attitude that everyone can do well out of this at the 'agreed' rates. A rip off will always manifest itself in excessive profits. Funnily enough, nowhere is this more evident than in the insurance industry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Duck Soup wrote:
    * Claims as a result of undue care or negligence
    The general get out clause.
    A rip off will always manifest itself in excessive profits. Funnily enough, nowhere is this more evident than in the insurance industry.
    Unlike Mobile Phone Operators who try to break even ....just ......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I had my 6630 stolen on Sunday night and I'm damn glad I have my insurance. I got the forms faxed to me on Monday at the vodafone shop in Grafton st., filled it in and got it stamped at Pearse st. garda station and my new phone complete with a new charger, data cable and headphones arrived on Wednesday to the vodafone shop. I only got the phone today as the eejits in the shop "forgot" to ring the contact number I gave but I can't fault the insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I think its Eagle Star that provide the service..

Advertisement