Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Installation. How?

• 23-09-2005 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    Can someone who has NTL Broadband answer this for me?
    I have NTL Digital in sitting room, and basic cable connections in other rooms.
    When the installer comes out, I want him to install the Broadband in a room with a basic cable connection.
    Is this possible, or does it have to be hooked up to the digital box?
    Also, does he have to run a new cable into the house?
    And attach a second box to the inside wall beside the original TV/FM box?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If you already have a basic connection in the room where you want the modem, then they can use that, if the cable and connection is of a high enough quality.

NTL cable BB has nothing to do with NTL Digital TV, it is a separate box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

yes i agree with bk...

but if you have a splitter in the attic feeding the other tv points then you would need a new feed to your ntl box outside as the splitters will not pass the signal needed..( only way round it is if you had an ntl splitter )

bring your ntl digital box to one in the room where you are putting the broadband and see if you have service from that point...you may need to get a f-type to coax adaptor...cheap enough in any tv/store..

oh maybe the point will be a free installation.. if he has to run a new point...

best of luck ...ntl broadband is excellant !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Thanks for info guys.
    Just wanted to make sure it wouldnt be connected to the digital box. I have read on different forums about people having bb coming out of their set top box. Maybe this is in the UK? Or an old method?
    I have a splitter in the attic alright.
    But if he uses the basic connection, does that mean that point will now be bb only, no tv?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

as far as i know you just need a proper 3 way f-type splitter before the router....ask the installer, he might give you one ;)

oh and your splitter in the attic might not be good enough.. i've had trouble with them in the past with regards passing signal to ntl digibox..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

If you have an NTL point,
    ie. a connection on the wall,
    this will be used but if you have a splitter of some kind then the installation guys may need to install a new connection for you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

garlad wrote:
    Thanks for info guys.
    Just wanted to make sure it wouldnt be connected to the digital box. I have read on different forums about people having bb coming out of their set top box. Maybe this is in the UK? Or an old method?

Yes in the UK they have a box which is integrated cable Modem and Digital TV, it is not the case in Ireland.

If the cable or splitter in your attic isn't up to scratch, they will simply replace it at no cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Thanks for info guys.
    So whatever happens, it shouldnt cost me anything extra, and I shouldnt lose any tv points to broadband.
    Roll on next Monday !

Advertisement