Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I think everyone else dresses like a slob

• 23-09-2005 10:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

My buddy Kernel 28, of Walkinstown,Dublin, admitted to me that he didn't know how to tie a tie. He doesn't even own one.

What?

This is all part of my complaint about dress codes - they seem to have gone by the wayside. Workplaces can't get businessmen to put a tie on, restaurants brag about having "no rules" (especially refering to the dress code), and now this - a young gentleman who had a decent education and intelligence enough to go to college, who has no concept of how to wear or purchase one of the basic fashion accessories known to man.

What is the problem with the youth of today? Are people lazy? sloppy? Personally, I am a technician, and one of my least favorite things about the technical profession is that the profession as a whole doesn't works on professional dress - Pighead wants a shirt and tie at a minimum, suit on days when i'm in a good mood

The only advantage for me is that I have been able to distinguish myself by dressing more professionally outside of work. My most recent development has been to only purchase french cuff dress shirts that require cufflinks, which gives them a more dressed-up look.

When I last worked in an office, we had a dress code that called for ties for men and very professional dress for women. Well, the women would basically flaunt their dress code violations, and the men would look for any excuse to take their tie off. Occasionally we had dress down days, and one distinct change on those days was that very little work got done.

So what do you think,has good dress sense like so many other things in todays society been dumbed down
    Come on Kernel put a tie on your scruffiness makes me want to vomit

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

yeah kernel, just put on a fecking tie, the ladies will love ya.

what does the said kernel wear if he goes to a wedding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

I love you Pighead
    Your posts always make my day go that little bit faster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Thread title updated to reflect the OP's actual sentiment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Clip-ons were invented for a reason. There's no shame in it, Kernel, no shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

What was the original thread title?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

people like to wear what they feel comfortable in. I work in an office at the moment (although today is my last day) and I havent wore a tie once I simply wear trousers and a shirt and I dont see the problem with it. That was some rant there Pighead

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Pighead wrote:
    Personally, I am a technician, and one of my least favorite things about the technical profession is that the profession as a whole doesn't works on professional dress - Pighead wants a shirt and tie at a minimum, suit on days when i'm in a good mood
    Nobody trusts techies who dress professionally. Everybody knows that true techies either have no idea, or just can't be bothered to dress properly. Suits, ties and other such professional apparel are for people who don't actually know what they're doing and so need to create the impression that they do (i.e. managers and sales people).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

Wouldnt it be good if people didnt have eyesight. None of this sort of thing would matter.

Racism would probably vanish also...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

It would depend on where you work Pighead..
    I work in a small shop(deli) where there is no dress code.
    This means that Im happier in work as am in my own clothes, and customers get a great reception in the shop due to the staff being in good moods.

A unifrom makes you feel like your at work, which can be beneficial or not, depending on the job.

Also: Your posts are class, keep them coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Thanks for the new thread title Seamus,much better than the original,i hate naming threads
    Anyway What I'm saying is that it's disappointing to me that so many people my age and younger resist at all costs getting dressed up for work.or other occasions and seem to revel in who can get away with dressing the crappiest. I enjoy dressing up(easy!), I like wearing a suit, and i'd rather work in a place where people recognize that just as a mechanic or burger flipper has a uniform, professionals have a "uniform". I also like going out to dinner at a nice restaurant where a jacket and tie are required and seeing everyone looking their best. What kind of special occasion is it if you can't be bothered to put on more then a t-shirt?Come on lads and lassies kill your inner slob

This may be making this conversation more serious then I wanted to get, but isn't this indicative of something larger in our society? The whole attitude of "I'm the only one who matters and if anyone else doesn't like it fcuk them, because my comfort is the most important thing in the world"

Mear i take your point but a lack of uniform in the workplace is followed by ri ra agus ruaile buaile or pandemonium if the Queen is reading.Everything in its right place as Thom might say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

tshirts and denims for me im afraid the day I wear a suit for longer than an interview It will be when im placed into my coffin.

Maccattack wrote:
    Wouldnt it be good if people didnt have eyesight. None of this sort of thing would matter.

Racism would probably vanish also...

It would be horrible!We'd never see how nature can set a sky aflame at sunset or magically transform a familiar landscape into a snow-white wonderland. It can paint a rainbow in the sky, paint beautiful autumn colors on trees, or paint a clump of daffodils in the grass with glow of soft sunlight.
    Come on Maccattack,stick on a tie and marvel at this wonderful world(And no clip ons please)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

well if uwant everyone to look the same, make them wear a shirt and a tie..uniformity, lack of personality yadda yadda..so, if u want to live in a boring mundane place, then go for it..wear the tie, wear the suit, fix the unix box..whatever..but allowing people to wear what they want allows them to express their personality through dress, which cant be that bad now can it?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

A tie-wearing hippy techie? I call shenanigans.

adonis wrote:
    well if uwant everyone to look the same, make them wear a shirt and a tie..uniformity, lack of personality yadda yadda..so, if u want to live in a boring mundane place, then go for it..wear the tie, wear the suit, fix the unix box..whatever..but allowing people to wear what they want allows them to express their personality through dress, which cant be that bad now can it?

I'm not asking everybody to go to the same shop and buy the same dull grey suit.No way,in fact it doesnt even have to be a suit.I just want to see some smart dressing.Laziness is a disease in society,everybody always going for the easy option(see Pigheads academic career as a prime example!)
    I find it literally depressing to go just about anywhere and see friggin T-shirts and baseball caps at most restaurants, outings, anywhere. I would love sometimes to have a place to dress-up for and NOT look so out-of-place.

It's not just about how you dress at work. OK, I agree...professionalism has to do with competence not with how you look. But what about in other areas of life? What about leisure? What's so great about dressing "casual" all the time? When do you feel like you're celebrating life if you're constantly in a T-shirt? (To be noted that "casual" nowadays is a code word for "sloppy").

I miss walking down a street, all dresed-up, with other pedestrians doing the same thing!!! Yeah, exactly... just like my glorious forefathers
    My word...what a concept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

On the subject of wearing a shirt and tie for work. In my job it's optional but for certain occasions you would have to dress to make an impression.

I remember years ago starting in a new job, doing the same as I'm doing now, and it was my first office job so I thought you had to wear and shirt and tie. Myself and 2 Engineers had to go out to site for something or other.

The Engineers were just dressed casual, whereas I was dressed quite smart and as a result the builder was directing all his comments at me even though I hadn't a clue about the project. I suppose it does illustrate that dressing up does make an impression, but you do have to be able to back it up with something.

B.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I think you need to build yourself a time machine and go back to the 50s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

Pighead wrote:
    It would be horrible!We'd never see how nature can set a sky aflame at sunset or magically transform a familiar landscape into a snow-white wonderland. It can paint a rainbow in the sky, paint beautiful autumn colors on trees, or paint a clump of daffodils in the grass with glow of soft sunlight.
    Come on Maccattack,stick on a tie and marvel at this wonderful world(And no clip ons please)

Lol!

I wear a suit all week! Except fridays. Jeans and t shirt today. Thats the real me.

Ties are stuffy. I hate restuarants that make you wear a jacket. sod that. sitting there sweating with a jacket on. no thanks.

I find that people who like to wear suit and tie when they go out are people who dont wear one for work.

Dudes who go to night clubs and pubs wearing a tie are just tryers IMHO.

Pighead, you sound like a Dandy. Are you a Dandy? What's your opinion on Lawrence Llewellyn-Bowen? Do you look up to him? ;)

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

You have to look at both sides of the coin. While it is an empowering feeling wearing a suit it can also be a burden. On a hot day a suit is a curse, and the upkeep and purchase of nice suits will be a heavy drain on your income. Then in cold weather suit trousers offer no protection from the elements whatsoever. All in all though I do like suits, allways sure to impress.

• Advertisement

AND!!!! A wet suit smells terrible! Like Wet Dog or something, so you get s suit dry cleaned and the first day you wear it it rains and hey presto, you smell. Water also ****s up the jacket

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

dress codes are only necessary where they actually pertain to doing the job - which means not often. i used to work for a clothes shop in town and the choice was anything black or anything from the current season (which you got at a huge discount) or any combo thereof. works both ways, staff are either recognisable or they're advertising the current stock so the store's happy and the staff are happy cos they get new gear for very little. as a result everyone felt better, and did a better job.

i'd struggle to tie a tie properly. now i love getting into a tux or suit for a wedding or for the engineering ball or the like as it's great fun to see everyone dressed up. on the whole tho', a suit's really only necessary i think for ceremonial occasions.

i don't think we've lost anything in the way clothing has become more 'casual' in recent years - it's just a progression of time, same way as the 60's now looks dated!

Red Alert wrote:
    or anything from the current season (which you got at a huge discount)

I've always wondered how much of a discount staff got if they wore the clothes in work. Care to tell?

B.

joejoem wrote:
    AND!!!! A wet suit smells terrible! Like Wet Dog or something, so you get s suit dry cleaned and the first day you wear it it rains and hey presto, you smell. Water also ****s up the jacket
    No offence joejoem but you can also buy classy jackets these days to put over your classy suit.Also if there is a lot of classy rain just put up your classy umbrella.I can honestly say i've never arrived anywhere wearing a suit that stank to the high heavens.Maybe around midnight at a wedding after i'd rocked the boat and done the time warp things have gotten a bit iffy but definitely not before
    Down with the slobs,up with the style

Pighead wrote:
    No offence joejoem but you can also buy classy jackets these days to put over your classy suit.Also if there is a lot of classy rain just put up your classy umbrella.

True but like I said in the summer these suits are quite heavy to wear and to wear a jacket over it can be a disaster. I allways seem to leave my umbrella where I dont need it, or else someone borrows it and never returns it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Ann Elk

joejoem wrote:
    True but like I said in the summer these suits are quite heavy to wear and to wear a jacket over it can be a disaster. I allways seem to leave my umbrella where I dont need it, or else someone borrows it and never returns it!

You could try a Batman suit - that neoprene is watertight and the ears cut quite a dash. Individuality wouldn't be an issue either.

The spiderman one is a little overstated, and you'd get cold in the Hulks one.

Wolverines garb woos the ladies but you ne that je ne sais qua to carry it off,

And i wouldnt recommend the wonderwoman one - it draws the wrong admirers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Jaysus! Where to begin with this... I was out of work for a few days this week, and today I come back to find Pighead feverishly typing away. My first thought is that he might be working on something (slim chance there), but no such luck, I peek over the shoulder and notice my name in a comment box - before he managed to minimise it.....

So here I log in, and find a little surprise waiting for me, much like a person returning from a holiday to find a flea bitten mongrel who has left a couple of landmines on a shag pile carpet.

Of course, I asked Pighead about it, and he admitted 'Ah, it's just blatant lies alright', so now it's time for some truths people!

Pighead usually wears some old clothes (I think he got them in his dads wardrobe, since they are all shirts that darts players in the 70's wore) for several days on the trot. Now, many people know that Pighead has a little trouble putting food into his mouth, he usually spreads a bit around his chin and dribbles semi-chewed and viscuous remnants on his chest, so let's just say that you can usually tell what he has had for dinner 2 days ago by examining the leftovers on his clothes. Also, 1 word: Ironing. I know it's a pain, but even if you ironed the cords and brown polystyrene shirt once in a while it would be passable.

As an ex-CBS pupil, I had to learn that failure to always be in possession of a well kept school-tie would result in a stern lecture, or possible molestation. Yes, I learned fast how to wear a tie. The fox chases the hare over the hill twice, and down into the rabbit hole - err or something.

What else? Oh, Piggies cousin was getting married last week, so he was forced to purchase his first ever suit, ahh bless... unfortunately, he went for chocolate brown with brown shoes.......................... I think I can leave that subject right there. ;)

On a more serious note (or moving swiftly on, if you prefer), I had an interview this week and had to wear a suit and tie, and it was fairly amazing the difference in people's attitudes to something so trivial as appearance. A good suit definitely commands a bit more respect than my usual trackie bottoms and polo shirt or whatever casual gear is clean (yes CLEAN pighead, see, that's why people have more than two outfits). I think a suit looks well on someone, and when you think back to the 50's, everyone wore one.... and hats... bring back real hats .. they were cool.

Anyway, thanks to all who have defended the honour of Kernel (or Patrick Bateman as I'm also known) and my impeccable dress sense. ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Don't get personal Kernel. Quit giving out personal details about other posters.

joejoem wrote:
    Then in cold weather suit trousers offer no protection from the elements whatsoever. All in all though I do like suits, allways sure to impress.

Thats where a good trenchcoat comes in mate. Combined with a decent umbrella you have good protection from the elements. And they last for ages. My present trenchoat has lasted 3 years at this point and has been out in some very bad weather.

Good wool trenchcoats are fantastic for keeping you toasty and warm on a very cold winter's day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Trenchcoats may be fine for you nesf, but when you're 5 ft not-much like me, it's not cool :)

Trojan wrote:
    Trenchcoats may be fine for you nesf, but when you're 5 ft not-much like me, it's not cool :)

Good point.

Welcome back btw :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Thanks! Holidays are great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

My sackcloth bag and bailing twine do's me just fine, thank you!

Moved to Fashion/Appearance on the request of the FAP mod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

nesf wrote:
    Moved to Fashion/Appearance on the request of the FAP mod.

The FAP mod!! they moderate your fapping now? this place is getting like 1984. :p
    anyhow on topic, what is it with ties? i resent being asked to wear them for my job to be honest. I mean what is the point of having a thin piece of material tied around your neck? It doesn't keep you warm, it doesn't keep your shirt on, I suppose if you had a food stain on the front of your shirt it might hide it but that is about the limit of its usefullness as an article of clothing.

So why are we made wear them? because someone else thinks they look good? Personally I think they look daft, which is why i wear one as rarely as possible. Ask yourself this: if the boss of your company thought that it looked smart and businesslike to wear boxer shorts on your head would you do it?
    Luckily for me on the day I was offered my current job some year and a half ago my boss made the mistake of saying "a tie is optional i suppose..." so I haven't worn one since the interview.

Ask yourselves people why do YOU wear a tie: because you think it looks good? or because someone told you to?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

don't wear ties for that reason really.i wear what i want to wear,not what others think is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

A tie is an upside-down noose TBH...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Pig head, its end of quarter and you have more important things to be concerned with such as fails in your bay to deal with now dont you. i'd love to see you stroll into test wearing a tie, oh the hilarity.
    -Funk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Pighead wrote:
    I enjoy dressing up(easy!), I like wearing a suit

Well there's your answer: some people don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Kernel wrote:
    What else? Oh, Piggies cousin was getting married last week, so he was forced to purchase his first ever suit, ahh bless... unfortunately, he went for chocolate brown with brown shoes.......................... I think I can leave that subject right there. ;)

Now thats a kick in the balls for ya isn't it piggie.Scarlet for ya :D

• Advertisement

DaveMcG wrote:
    Well there's your answer: some people don't.

Personally I find a well fitted suit to one of the most comfortable things I've ever worn. All they take is a bit of getting used to. Although, if you buy an ill fitted suit you will always feel uncomfortable in it. Suits are one of those things you need to get right fit wise.

nesf wrote:
    Don't get personal Kernel. Quit giving out personal details about other posters.

Ah it's ok Nesf, celebrities like myself and Pighead realise we are part of the public domain, the price of fame I'm afraid... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There's a lot of Nesf's things moved by the FAP mod alright!! :D

back to the original topic. I do think that the standard of dressing is decreasing in general. People are very much into casual clothing these days, but fail to differentiate between casual and just downright sloppy.

I'd always make an effort to dress to the occasion. That's why i have 80+ pairs of shoes, one for every occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

dudara wrote:
    I'd always make an effort to dress to the occasion. That's why i have 80+ pairs of shoes, one for every occasion.

I have 1 pair of shoes, one for every occasion. The occaision being when I wake up in the morning and say "Oh look, I have feet!, I suppose I'd better put some shoes on them"

Then again I will freely admit to being a slob :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭peterl

a uniform is very useful for people with no dress sense or imagination. they only have to reach for the same ensemble every morning and curiously enough professions requiring the wearing of uniforms usually attract people without either of the above...guards and post carriers being two who spring instantly to mind...............

Kernel wrote:
    Pighead usually wears some old clothes (I think he got them in his dads wardrobe, since they are all shirts that darts players in the 70's wore) for several days on the trot. Now, many people know that Pighead has a little trouble putting food into his mouth, he usually spreads a bit around his chin and dribbles semi-chewed and viscuous remnants on his chest, so let's just say that you can usually tell what he has had for dinner 2 days ago by examining the leftovers on his clothes. Also, 1 word: Ironing. I know it's a pain, but even if you ironed the cords and brown polystyrene shirt once in a while it would be passable.
    As a person,Kernel strikes me as being very opinionated, and as not having particularly good dress sense. Yes, this is probably exactly the way he wants to dress, but is he really most comfortable in polyester slacks and a polo shirt, an entire ensemble that could have been purchased from Michael Guineys? The answer is undoubtedly yes: he is, after all, the least stylish man i know.
    I have no idea what's going on with the porportions of his outfit today. The shirt is alright...except it's too short. Or maybe its the jeans are too low. Either way, why would he wear something that exposes the exact ring of skin that every man wants to conceal? Why, Kernel? Why? And with the cuffed jeans over the boots, it's like you're walking around on the world's tiniest wee little legs. And a brown scuffed belt with shiny black boots.You're So not cool buddy

Pighead wrote:
    I have no idea what's going on with the porportions of his outfit today. The shirt is alright...except it's too short. Or maybe its the jeans are too low. Either way, why would he wear something that exposes the exact ring of skin that every man wants to conceal? Why, Kernel? Why? And with the cuffed jeans over the boots, it's like you're walking around on the world's tiniest wee little legs. And a brown scuffed belt with shiny black boots.You're So not cool buddy

Poor poor comeback piglet, you have to resort to the realm of fiction to make a retort. Today I'm wearing stylish Jack Jones bootcut blue with moderate fade jeans, my workboots (but Lonsdale trainers in my locker) and a beige/brown light check linen shirt. No belt, and as a six foooter, I have not got short legs. So, the good people of boards must once again ask, Pighead, what are you on about???? :confused::confused::confused::p:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭lemonjelly

stevenmu wrote:
    Nobody trusts techies who dress professionally. Everybody knows that true techies either have no idea, or just can't be bothered to dress properly. Suits, ties and other such professional apparel are for people who don't actually know what they're doing and so need to create the impression that they do (i.e. managers and sales people).

:D agreed

Advertisement