Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which PDA to buy?

• 23-09-2005 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

Going to buy a PDA. I want the following:

Good size screen
    Good video resolution
    Most RAM/ROM
    Internet. I use a web email. (I know it’ll be “scroll” city)
    CF card would be good, because I have a Canon digital camera that uses them.
    Blue tooth a must
    Wireless
    Would be nice to have a GPS receiver built in.

What’s the best out there and is there something I should wait for (short term that is)?

From my brief studies the two I’m looking at are

Dell Axim v51
    iPaq 7400

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

DaDa wrote:
    Going to buy a PDA. I want the following:

Good size screen
    Good video resolution
    Most RAM/ROM
    Internet. I use a web email. (I know it’ll be “scroll” city)
    CF card would be good, because I have a Canon digital camera that uses them.
    Blue tooth a must
    Wireless
    Would be nice to have a GPS receiver built in.

What’s the best out there and is there something I should wait for (short term that is)?

From my brief studies the two I’m looking at are

Dell Axim v51
    iPaq 7400

Fujitsu Siemens Loox 720

See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=304588

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i did some research as i considered buying one and the axim x50v with the vga screen seems to be adjudged best bang for buck.i'm veering towards an ultraportable laptop now for more usability as a lot of pda owners say they just don't use them after purchase.what do you plan to use it for as i'm trying to justify purchasing one.dell have 20% off the axims at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I used an Ipaq for a few years, but only because I had an external keyboard, it made a huge difference. Otherwise, input on any pda I have ever had is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭DaDa

davelerave wrote:
    i did some research as i considered buying one and the axim x50v with the vga screen seems to be adjudged best bang for buck.i'm veering towards an ultraportable laptop now for more usability as a lot of pda owners say they just don't use them after purchase.what do you plan to use it for as i'm trying to justify purchasing one.dell have 20% off the axims at the moment

Want to be able to read internet email (in emergency situations mostly)
    Want some key excel files at hand all the time.
    I travel a fair bit so GPS would help
    And of course... be able to disply the family photos ... yes the 1000's of 'em :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

I have just ordered a Dell X50 for myself. I have owned an Ipaq for about 4 years now and bought the GPS add-on for it and it was brilliant. The GPS paid for itself last Summer in France.

I went for the X50 this time because of price and accessability. I found it very difficult to get prices and info locally for the Ipaq. There was no consistency in info from the ipaq resellers.

Dell had a special offer for the X50 (375 euro I think) and for an extra 80 euro I could get the GPS version. One of the main reasons I wanted to upgrade my ipaq was for the wireless connectivity.

Have a look on the dell web site - they may have the special offer still on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Received my X50 today and in short I think it is the biz.

It picked both WIFI and my neighbours and is WPA compatible.

Dowloaded Skype onto it this evening and it worked a dream without a headset.

I give the X50 a thumbs-up.

Advertisement