Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spiritualism

Options
  • 23-09-2005 9:47am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭

scorptech wrote:
    Stevenmu - I compare spiritualism to a martial art - You need to train properly. You will not get a black belt within two weeks of joining (a lot of people get impatient and think the ability happens over night). There is no end to training as spiritualism is a journey without a destination. Some mediums, even after doing readings for years, are still learning.
    I think I see what you mean now, teaching/training in techniques not belief systems, as KatieK puts it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭scorptech

StevenMU - I think I see what you mean now, teaching/training in techniques not belief systems, as KatieK puts it.

Yes, correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

I moved a copy of this discussion over here where I think for the time being it is more suitable.
    The paranormal doesn't readily accept without question the essence of spiritualism and while there are many interested in it and learning these techniques, I feel it would be safer to talk about it here in the freedom of the spirituality forum.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ah, home again, lets snuggle up....

[ot]Happy birthday for next week solas :D [/ot]

This is a really interesting area for me, even though Im kinda heading in your direction solas, and getting more dissillusioned with the whole 'medium' thing. (I dont want fame or power or to be better than anyone, I would like to use this 'whatever it is' to help people, but I realise it may not be for me to decide when that help is relevant, or would simply stall a natural grieving process.Or if I got it wrong, it could really mess someone up.)

As with some opinion on the earlier part of the thread in paranormal, Im really wary of classes which purport to teach you to be psychic. BUT I do think its useful to meet with others of a similar view, if only to show you your not crazy. :) I think scorptech has it right in a lot of ways, ie learn the pitfalls before you start, but that actually can be done alone, after all if spirit are leading us where we are meant to be, we already have a good teacher present all the time. Of course it may be easier if you happen on a good mentor but eek! with so many chancers out there that could be difficult, and when you start out do you really know enough to question?

[ot]Happy birthday for next week solas [/ot]
    tyty, I'll be around to collect my present later.
    katie wrote:
    I think scorptech has it right in a lot of ways, ie learn the pitfalls before you start, but that actually can be done alone, after all if spirit are leading us where we are meant to be, we already have a good teacher present all the time.
    I agree, I do hope scorptech hasn't been deterred from the topic.
    Spirit communication is a personal thing for me, I didn't intentionally walk down this road, it happened all by itself and initially I did also look to others for confirmation of my sanity, but in hindisght that seems to be where I went wrong.

Hopefully we can talk about the subject in more detail here.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

solas wrote:
    Spirit communication is a personal thing for me, I didn't intentionally walk down this road, it happened all by itself
    Sounds familiar. Was dropped into a situation unexpectedly, and thought wtf is going on here?? :D Took ages to say it to anyone really, but I have been careful since and seem to have avoided the worst influences :)

• Advertisement

Katie wrote:
    but I have been careful since and seem to have avoided the worst influences
    I suppose we couldn't ask for anymore really.

y'know what I like about this forum is the fact that I'm not a mod here, therefore my words are only as weighty as I am and it helps talking about such things when we're all on an equal basis.

(except for steve and thead who dwell amongst the lofty heights and look down upon us from their glorious thrones, laughing over tea and biscuts while we share our hearts with each other)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The only throne I sit on is the loo :P
    And I am glad I don't mod the parrots normal ahem sorry parranormal forum.

It is hard when starting off to explore what ever gifts you have and wish to
    dust off , uncover jumpstart.

A lot of the time to begin with they only seem to happen when we let down
    our gaurd and get smashed with drink or drugs. As a result a lot of the people
    you end up sharing experinces with or trying things to with are people who
    are not the best tbh.

It can be very hard to speak of such experiences one upton a time it seemed
    they would only get talked about really at night time often the small hours of
    the morning. So when you find people who take such things and seriously
    the sense of relief can be such that you don't pay a lot of heed to the
    warning signs arround you. Looking back you wonder how on earth you spent
    time with these people never mind considered them friends.

But we all live and learn and hopefull become older ( susposedily) and wiser.
    Dion Fortunes books aren't a bad start and keeping track of how you are
    doing is a good idea too.
    Eventually you get to know what is real, fanical or otherwise.
    But you also need to learn to live in this life and this life time and not
    let the spiritual or pastlifes or spirits distract you from what you need to
    do in this world to live a balanced life.

somedays Auntie Ethel and pastlife stuff and all the rest have to wait as
    the toilet needs to be cleaned, the kids picked up from school and dinner cooked and oh look the cat's litter tray has to be emptied. :D

thats all very well oh glorious one, but life without meaning is boring..and meaningless.
    I think it's good to have a balance between the two, I remember when I discovered that there was more to life than what we see before us and it gave life a sense of meaning, or at least one which I hadn't been previously aware of and in effect such knowledge lessens the dredgery of the mundane daily routine, work, kids etc. Actually looking back, I was quite content with life, which makes life a lot easier. Even cleaning cat litter trays wasn't a problem. I might have even done so with a smile.

I'm looking for a sense of balance again after getting knocked off keel (through exterior groups no less) and have been some time away from my own sense of spirituality, but y'know it is a personal journey, just this time I'm bringing better supplies and will be more careful of the company I keep.

[edit]Ijust want to say that, while I've smoked a joint or two in my day I left that part of that life behind in my teens (with the odd exception very rarely) my spiritual experiences occured after a death and were not typically drug related.

Hi people (happy birthday SOLAS)

I've travelled over from the "Psychic School" forum to see what's going on.

For some reason, a thought of Forest Gump came into my head after reading SOLAS's last post, "life is like a box of choclates......"

I Don't know why that came to me but I'm sure we can all relate to it. :)

Can I also add, the old saying "the older you get the wiser you get" is a myth. There are people who go through life with rose tinted glasses and are none the wiser even after living 60 odd years on the planet (my mother-in-law is one of them).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Old and wise I do get up as long as I don't have tp grow up :D

• Advertisement

"the older you get the wiser you get" is a myth.
    have you been reading eric francis astrology pages too? I only just read something similar.
    thanks for the greetings, b-day isn't until the 3rd btw, same day as the solar eclipse which has been running through my mind.
    Thaed whats the pagan stance on solar eclipses?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

solas wrote:
    (except for steve and thead who dwell amongst the lofty heights and look down upon us from their glorious thrones, laughing over tea and biscuts while we share our hearts with each other)
    That's cake dear, biscuits are for the rabble down below. Altough you may have a little piece of cake on your birthday :)

As I read through this thread and the original one, I'm thinking again that our own development group might be a good idea. Between this forum ,the paranormal one and possibly paganism and some of the others, I'd think there'd easily be enough interest in one. Never having been to one I've no idea what would be involved in in organising one, altough one advantage of setting up our own group is that we can make it the way we want it. What do people think ?

edit:
    solas wrote:
    y'know what I like about this forum is the fact that I'm not a mod here, therefore my words are only as weighty as I am and it helps talking about such things when we're all on an equal basis.
    I would hope that people wouldn't put any more weight behind my posts because it says moderator under my name. If they do then they're idiots and there's not much I can do about that.

STEVENMU - Never having been to one I've no idea what would be involved in in organising one, altough one advantage of setting up our own group is that we can make it the way we want it. What do people think ?

I don't know if you saw my posts in the psychic school forum, but I'll looking to get a circle together in the near future when I move back to Dublin parmanently (hopefully by the end of October). I already have a couple of people interested in getting a circle together.

I am currently in a development circle over here in London, and although I am nowhere near being a circle leader, there is no harm putting a meditation/spiritual circle together for starters. I will also be getting mediums to come over from the UK to hold workshops etc.

In London there is a spiritualist church in every borough, but in Ireland, nothing (as far as I know). The website address for our circle can be found in the psychic School forum.

mmmm cake.

I live in Waterford so it would be difficult to get to Dublin regularly for group, but we've talked about it a few times and I would love to get together to meet some of the folk here over a few pints or something.
    Will put it in my diary as a "to do" thing.

solas wrote:
    I live in Waterford so it would be difficult to get to Dublin regularly for group, but we've talked about it a few times and I would love to get together to meet some of the folk here over a few pints or something.
    Will put it in my diary as a "to do" thing.

No problem. What I would like to do initially, is to organise a "one off" meeting with a few like minded people (a central location will be selected once I have numbers and locations of where people live) and take it from there.

I think something like this is long over due in Ireland. Even if we only meet once every six months or so, it would be good to have some sort of group/contact
    list.

It depends on how many people are interested. Obviously to hire a room or hall etc would have to be paid for, but I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem.

Advertisement